Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Anyone recognise this hubcap?
Forum Index -> Accessories/Memorabilia/Toys Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
1967_vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:36 am    Post subject: Anyone recognise this hubcap? Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Anyone recognise this hubcap? Found a few of them in a job lot of VW parts, not seen one like this before. Thought it was Perohaus initially but it's a different design.

Kev
72 Type 3 Fastback Automatic
72 1302S
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone recognise this hubcap? Reply with quote

Just a guess, but the "similar but not the same" logo hubcaps were often aftermarket knock-offs from companies like JC Whitney, who changed it to not get sued by VW.

Last edited by KTPhil on Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone recognise this hubcap? Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
Just a guess, but the "similar but not the same" logo hubcaps were often aftermarket knock-off from companies like JC Whitney, who changed it to not get sued by VW.

Well beyond a guess ^^^ - it's exactly right.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone recognise this hubcap? Reply with quote

Yup, I said "guess" because there was this 1% chance in the back of my mind that this was another carmaker's original hubcap that happened to resemble/fit the VW.

I'd be interested in a thread of photos of these clones... there have been several variations of the logo from various suppliers. Kinda funny to me.

Maybe there was a clone with a logo like this key?

This was the subject of what may be an urban myth discussed halfway down this thread:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=2370363
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone recognise this hubcap? Reply with quote

Ok, we can use this topic, the title works. Here are a few:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=121322

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8832416
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 6:59 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone recognise this hubcap? Reply with quote

Well----------I do believe that the original poster realizes that this is an accessory/aftermarket hubcap. If you actually read his question, he say he initially thought it might be Perohaus.
1967_vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:55 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone recognise this hubcap? Reply with quote

Thanks for all the input and suggestions.

I think we can safely say it's a product produced to replicate the genuine hubcap shape/size/function but not infringe on the copyright of the VW logo.

As i'm in Europe (Scotland) I assume it's a european manufactured item.

The hunt continues for a Manufacturer's name or any more info...

Kev
72 Type 3 Fastback Automatic
72 1302S
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
npbusguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone recognise this hubcap? Reply with quote

Looks like this hubcap...

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2272350
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone recognise this hubcap? Reply with quote

Look carefully at the cross pattern across the top. The OP's has a flat section versus the Perohaus' symmetrical pattern.

It's also not a slam on JC Whitney. They were the largest catalog marketer for all kinds of rare and coveted European brand accessories we battle over at swap meets. Motometer, Keinzle, Kameii were just three that come to mind.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
Ovalfox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone recognise this hubcap? Reply with quote

hello. that was my first contact to vw parts when i was 10 and i found this at our cellar Smile It is from a aftermarket manufacturer named Neckermann from Neckermann catalouges. there are many logo forms Smile
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Accessories/Memorabilia/Toys All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: