Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Shifter alignment issue: 1st & 2nd sloppy
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stoned
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:39 am    Post subject: Re: [Solved(ish)] 1986 WBX, Shifting Notchy 1st/2nd, 3rd/4th Smooth Reply with quote

I am having a problem with my shifting as well. I have a 1974 VW thing with a freeway flyer tranny. I just cannot seem to get the gears to align correctly. Currently I have 3rd/4th and reverse but 1st & 2nd sloppy. Can anyone advise on proper shifter alignment. Should transmission be in reverse/neutral before tightening shifter? Also should shifter plate be all the way to front or rear?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Shifter alignment issue: 1st & 2nd sloppy Reply with quote

You have to loosen the bolts on the shifter then tap the plate left/right/front/back to get it oriented then you tighten the bolts.

Have you replaced your shift rod bushing (it hangs from the top of the center tunnel), and have you replaced the shift coupler at the tranny or at least made sure it was tight and not sloppy?

Last of all make sure that your front and rear tranny mounts are not cracked and of need of replacement.
Stoned
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Shifter alignment issue: 1st & 2nd sloppy Reply with quote

Yes I have replaced shifter bushing, coupler, clutch, throw-out bearing and rebuilt tranny with new mount and colts. I'll adjust the plate and reply back with pictures. lastly does the tranny have to be in any specific gear when adjusting?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
6sixTinBox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: Shifter alignment issue: 1st & 2nd sloppy Reply with quote

It's best to have the shifter in second gear with the plate left and to the rear. It sounds crazy but I spent a few days adjusting my wife's '73 thing. Frustrating as it was, it was the least adjustment that finally did it and it worked great. I personally found it easiest to shift between 1st and 2nd back and forth while holding the plate with a flat head screw driver until it lined up. They're boogers to adjust, even had the same problem with my 71 double cab and 66 bus. You'll get it!

It is what it is
Stoned
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Shifter alignment issue: 1st & 2nd sloppy Reply with quote

Thank you for the help. The shifting issue has driven me crazy. I got it halfway shifting but I'll realign with it in 2nd and advise on results.
6sixTinBox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: Shifter alignment issue: 1st & 2nd sloppy Reply with quote

I know it's frustrating. It takes time and patience. I hope you get it resolved. After reading that you have replaced the bits and pieces, that's all there's left to do. Oh! make sure the stopper on the shifter plate isn't worn down. If you need a replacement PM me and I can get it to you, I have good one collecting dust. Laughing

It is what it is
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: