Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts  See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com
 
Barn find 1961 SO34 Flipseat Westy
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Print View
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
2Pack
Samba Member


Joined: September 20, 2005
Posts: 788
Location: Virginia
2Pack is offline 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: Barn find 1961 SO34 Flipseat Westy Reply with quote

The reproduction poles I have seen have a different type of screw thread. So for the ones where you are missing 1/2 a pole you will need to get the whole pole.
_________________
Please buy my Treasure
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crofty
Judas of the North


Joined: August 09, 2000
Posts: 18860
Location: Land of Whine and Phonies
crofty is offline 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: Barn find 1961 SO34 Flipseat Westy Reply with quote

I think I have a piece/scrap of fabric big enough for the piece that hangs from the ice box cabinet next to the jumpseat. its yours if you want it
_________________
When in doubt, logo it out!!

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Braukuche
Samba Member


Joined: September 03, 2004
Posts: 7165

Braukuche is offline 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:14 am    Post subject: Re: Barn find 1961 SO34 Flipseat Westy Reply with quote

2Pack wrote:
The reproduction poles I have seen have a different type of screw thread. So for the ones where you are missing 1/2 a pole you will need to get the whole pole.


Yep, not interchangeable.
There were some broken sets up for sale recently, you. Might get lucky and combine yours with a broken set to make a whole.
Looks like you also need a tent? BBT only sells the awning with their poles.
I used a bay window tent for a few years until I scored my original one. If you have kids the bay tents are far superior because the original ones are not good for sleeping in.
_________________
Go Reds! Smash state!

My retirement plan:
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 crusty double cab
1960 convertible bug
1963 356 B coupe runner
1963 356 B coupe in pieces
1967 21 window rust bucket
1967 912
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RustyDC
Samba Member


Joined: March 28, 2012
Posts: 46
Location: Saratoga Springs, UT
RustyDC is offline 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: Barn find 1961 SO34 Flipseat Westy Reply with quote

crofty wrote:
I think I have a piece/scrap of fabric big enough for the piece that hangs from the ice box cabinet next to the jumpseat. its yours if you want it


Yes, I would love to use it. Also, any pics of what that piece should look like? The screws are still there but obviously to wood piece attached. Thanks
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
srfndoc
Samba Member


Joined: August 21, 2010
Posts: 2798
Location: SoCal
srfndoc is offline 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: Barn find 1961 SO34 Flipseat Westy Reply with quote

Evan (Easy E) has a partial set of poles for sale right now. It might be worth it to see if he would be willing to sell you the poles your missing or even just buy his set and then sell the remaining.

You're missing the bathroom poles as well and those rarely come up for sale. You can make/buy very similar ones. Have Tony ping me on IG and I can send him a link.
_________________
Evan's Spreadsheet for Bus RPM, based on gearing & tire size (ODS Format)
RPM=(MPH*336* (R&P*4th*1.26))/Tire Diameter in inches
_________________
"The world is in no hurry for another painted bus."
-Maurice
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
easy e
Samba Member


Joined: May 28, 2008
Posts: 3596
Location: Five Cities, CA
easy e is offline 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: Barn find 1961 SO34 Flipseat Westy Reply with quote

They're not correct for him (mine are galvanized & he has black painted), but thanks!
_________________
aka: Evan
Spreadsheet for Bus RPM, based on gearing & tire size (Excel format)
Searchable, click-navigable 1958 Bus Parts List
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
srfndoc
Samba Member


Joined: August 21, 2010
Posts: 2798
Location: SoCal
srfndoc is offline 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: Barn find 1961 SO34 Flipseat Westy Reply with quote

easy e wrote:
They're not correct for him (mine are galvanized & he has black painted), but thanks!


Doh... forgot about that. Oh well.
_________________
Evan's Spreadsheet for Bus RPM, based on gearing & tire size (ODS Format)
RPM=(MPH*336* (R&P*4th*1.26))/Tire Diameter in inches
_________________
"The world is in no hurry for another painted bus."
-Maurice
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Malokin Martin
Samba Member


Joined: August 19, 2007
Posts: 2895
Location: E-burg
Malokin Martin is offline 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: Barn find 1961 SO34 Flipseat Westy Reply with quote

Braukuche wrote:
BBT only sells the awning with their poles.


CIP1 are the US BBT distributors. They’re selling just the frames or tents now. But the “just the poles” aren’t available till later this summer. “C21-6500” and “C21-6551”. Apparently free shipping. $300 +\- for poles isn’t bad
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crofty
Judas of the North


Joined: August 09, 2000
Posts: 18860
Location: Land of Whine and Phonies
crofty is offline 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: Barn find 1961 SO34 Flipseat Westy Reply with quote

RustyDC wrote:
crofty wrote:
I think I have a piece/scrap of fabric big enough for the piece that hangs from the ice box cabinet next to the jumpseat. its yours if you want it


Yes, I would love to use it. Also, any pics of what that piece should look like? The screws are still there but obviously to wood piece attached. Thanks


Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.


PM me your address and ill take a look and see what I have or I can let you know first . either way.
_________________
When in doubt, logo it out!!

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Erik G
Samba Member


Joined: October 16, 2002
Posts: 10825
Location: Tejas!
Erik G is offline 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: Barn find 1961 SO34 Flipseat Westy Reply with quote

Malokin Martin wrote:
Braukuche wrote:
BBT only sells the awning with their poles.


CIP1 are the US BBT distributors.


actually eddy and dave's are the united states distributors, CIP1 is in Canada...

eddy and daves --> http://www.vwvintageparts.com/

I hate CIP1, they sell a lot of low quality crap. Eddy has been a pleasure to deal with
_________________
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Braukuche
Samba Member


Joined: September 03, 2004
Posts: 7165

Braukuche is offline 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Barn find 1961 SO34 Flipseat Westy Reply with quote

Erik G wrote:
Malokin Martin wrote:
Braukuche wrote:
BBT only sells the awning with their poles.


CIP1 are the US BBT distributors.


actually eddy and dave's are the united states distributors, CIP1 is in Canada...

eddy and daves --> http://www.vwvintageparts.com/

I hate CIP1, they sell a lot of low quality crap. Eddy has been a pleasure to deal with


CIP1 has free shipping. Which is a big deal on a heavy item like poles. Plus being in CanNada no tax!
_________________
Go Reds! Smash state!

My retirement plan:
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 crusty double cab
1960 convertible bug
1963 356 B coupe runner
1963 356 B coupe in pieces
1967 21 window rust bucket
1967 912
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Malokin Martin
Samba Member


Joined: August 19, 2007
Posts: 2895
Location: E-burg
Malokin Martin is offline 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Barn find 1961 SO34 Flipseat Westy Reply with quote

I imagine it’s aboot 75 loonies at cost for them to be shipping that. I’m not complaining. Same product, so may as well get the shipping free aye.

Erik G wrote:
Malokin Martin wrote:
CIP1 are the US BBT distributors.


actually eddy and dave's are the united states distributors


Someone should make BBT aware of that Wink

Quote:
4/15/19 Thank you for your interest in our company.
Please contact our US distributor CIP for these parts:
CALIFORNIA IMPORT PARTS LTD
6780 Dennett Place Unit 120
V4G-1N4 Delta, (B.C.)
Canada
1-604-946-0398
[email protected]
[email protected]
They can deliver you every part from our catalogue:
https://www.bbt4vw.com/en/catalogue
Kind regards,
Tibaut
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Erik G
Samba Member


Joined: October 16, 2002
Posts: 10825
Location: Tejas!
Erik G is offline 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Barn find 1961 SO34 Flipseat Westy Reply with quote

Malokin Martin wrote:
Erik G wrote:
Malokin Martin wrote:
Braukuche wrote:
BBT only sells the awning with their poles.


CIP1 are the US BBT distributors.


actually eddy and dave's are the united states distributors, CIP1 is in Canada...

eddy and daves --> http://www.vwvintageparts.com/

I hate CIP1, they sell a lot of low quality crap. Eddy has been a pleasure to deal with


Quote:
Thank you for your interest in our company.
Please contact our US distributor CIP for these parts:
CALIFORNIA IMPORT PARTS LTD
6780 Dennett Place Unit 120
V4G-1N4 Delta, (B.C.)
Canada
1-604-946-0398
[email protected]
[email protected]
They can deliver you every part from our catalogue:
https://www.bbt4vw.com/en/catalogue
Kind regards,
Tibaut


that's news to me, Eddy and Daves have been the preferred distributors, straight from an email from Hans...

I prefer working with small companies that get my order correct anyways Cool

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=478149
_________________
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crofty
Judas of the North


Joined: August 09, 2000
Posts: 18860
Location: Land of Whine and Phonies
crofty is offline 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Barn find 1961 SO34 Flipseat Westy Reply with quote

Erik G wrote:
Malokin Martin wrote:
Erik G wrote:
Malokin Martin wrote:
Braukuche wrote:
BBT only sells the awning with their poles.


CIP1 are the US BBT distributors.


actually eddy and dave's are the united states distributors, CIP1 is in Canada...

eddy and daves --> http://www.vwvintageparts.com/

I hate CIP1, they sell a lot of low quality crap. Eddy has been a pleasure to deal with


Quote:
Thank you for your interest in our company.
Please contact our US distributor CIP for these parts:
CALIFORNIA IMPORT PARTS LTD
6780 Dennett Place Unit 120
V4G-1N4 Delta, (B.C.)
Canada
1-604-946-0398
[email protected]
[email protected]
They can deliver you every part from our catalogue:
https://www.bbt4vw.com/en/catalogue
Kind regards,
Tibaut


that's news to me, Eddy and Daves have been the preferred distributors, straight from an email from Hans...

I prefer working with small companies that get my order correct anyways Cool

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=478149


I searched their site for Westfalia stuff. Nada. bummer
_________________
When in doubt, logo it out!!

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Erik G
Samba Member


Joined: October 16, 2002
Posts: 10825
Location: Tejas!
Erik G is offline 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Barn find 1961 SO34 Flipseat Westy Reply with quote

crofty wrote:
Erik G wrote:
Malokin Martin wrote:
Erik G wrote:
Malokin Martin wrote:
Braukuche wrote:
BBT only sells the awning with their poles.


CIP1 are the US BBT distributors.


actually eddy and dave's are the united states distributors, CIP1 is in Canada...

eddy and daves --> http://www.vwvintageparts.com/

I hate CIP1, they sell a lot of low quality crap. Eddy has been a pleasure to deal with


Quote:
Thank you for your interest in our company.
Please contact our US distributor CIP for these parts:
CALIFORNIA IMPORT PARTS LTD
6780 Dennett Place Unit 120
V4G-1N4 Delta, (B.C.)
Canada
1-604-946-0398
[email protected]
[email protected]
They can deliver you every part from our catalogue:
https://www.bbt4vw.com/en/catalogue
Kind regards,
Tibaut


that's news to me, Eddy and Daves have been the preferred distributors, straight from an email from Hans...

I prefer working with small companies that get my order correct anyways Cool

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=478149


I searched their site for Westfalia stuff. Nada. bummer


they don't have most of the BBT stuff listed, but if you email or call Eddy and ask, he'll get back to you quick. Maybe he's not a distributor now though...
_________________
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RustyDC
Samba Member


Joined: March 28, 2012
Posts: 46
Location: Saratoga Springs, UT
RustyDC is offline 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Barn find 1961 SO34 Flipseat Westy Reply with quote

started removing the rattle can paint from the rear corner and vents. A lot of OG paint still under there. It will need some blends also.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.



Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.


A few parts orders started to show up and waiting on a few from overseas.


Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.


My wife found the prop when cleaning out the bus. It was found up on top of the cabinet that hold the ice box. Glad it was found.
_________________
1956 Kombi
1960 Single Cab
1960 15 Window
1961 SO34 Westy
1970 Tin top
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Braukuche
Samba Member


Joined: September 03, 2004
Posts: 7165

Braukuche is offline 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Barn find 1961 SO34 Flipseat Westy Reply with quote

Sweet find on the prop rod!
_________________
Go Reds! Smash state!

My retirement plan:
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 crusty double cab
1960 convertible bug
1963 356 B coupe runner
1963 356 B coupe in pieces
1967 21 window rust bucket
1967 912
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Daddybus
Samba Member


Joined: June 15, 2000
Posts: 1517

Daddybus is offline 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Barn find 1961 SO34 Flipseat Westy Reply with quote

Braukuche wrote:
Sweet find on the prop rod!

Forget about the prop rod, his WIFE was not only in the bus, she was cleaning the bus AND kept the prop rod (instead of just throwing it out as junk). She’s a keeper for sure...the bus is too.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Braukuche
Samba Member


Joined: September 03, 2004
Posts: 7165

Braukuche is offline 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Barn find 1961 SO34 Flipseat Westy Reply with quote

Daddybus wrote:
Braukuche wrote:
Sweet find on the prop rod!

Forget about the prop rod, his WIFE was not only in the bus, she was cleaning the bus AND kept the prop rod (instead of just throwing it out as junk). She’s a keeper for sure...the bus is too.


I dunno, it's easier to find a new wife than a original prop rod.
_________________
Go Reds! Smash state!

My retirement plan:
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 crusty double cab
1960 convertible bug
1963 356 B coupe runner
1963 356 B coupe in pieces
1967 21 window rust bucket
1967 912
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
srfndoc
Samba Member


Joined: August 21, 2010
Posts: 2798
Location: SoCal
srfndoc is offline 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Barn find 1961 SO34 Flipseat Westy Reply with quote

Malokin Martin wrote:
Braukuche wrote:
BBT only sells the awning with their poles.


CIP1 are the US BBT distributors. They’re selling just the frames or tents now. But the “just the poles” aren’t available till later this summer. “C21-6500” and “C21-6551”. Apparently free shipping. $300 +\- for poles isn’t bad


The poles are back in stock so I would buy a set to use until you find your missing OG poles.
_________________
Evan's Spreadsheet for Bus RPM, based on gearing & tire size (ODS Format)
RPM=(MPH*336* (R&P*4th*1.26))/Tire Diameter in inches
_________________
"The world is in no hurry for another painted bus."
-Maurice
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

About | Help! | Advertise | Donate | Premium Membership | Privacy/Terms of Use | Contact Us | Site Map
Copyright © 1996-2018, Everett Barnes. All Rights Reserved.
Not affiliated with or sponsored by Volkswagen of America | Forum powered by phpBB