Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Is 64 Ghia wiring diagram help!
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
GhiaVair
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2022 5:27 pm    Post subject: Is 64 Ghia wiring diagram help! Reply with quote

I recently purchased 64 Ghia CPE. Previous owners X2 converted to 12 volt but either left Old wiring harness in place ( still got old style fuse box) or installed 6 volt harness. Where can I find 64 Ghia wiring harness ? I received the vehicle with a lot of electrical not hooked up and/or non functioning. Samba technical has no 1964 …thanks
VWFIXER
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2022 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Is 64 Ghia wiring diagram help! Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Choose 2

Over a million air cooled miles driven and 15,000+ cars serviced.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2022 12:47 am    Post subject: Re: Is 64 Ghia wiring diagram help! Reply with quote

Yep, wiring for a '61, as shown is good for cars made from August 1960 to August 1965. So, your '64 should covered here.

Nicholas
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Last edited by sputnick60 on Wed Apr 20, 2022 11:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ian Godfrey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2022 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Is 64 Ghia wiring diagram help! Reply with quote

if you are looking for a new harness, Rebel wire does a nice modern one and also Watson's street works.
Wiring works make a good original style harness stocked by a number of vendors.
Era Vulgaris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2022 5:20 am    Post subject: Re: Is 64 Ghia wiring diagram help! Reply with quote

GhiaVair wrote:
I recently purchased 64 Ghia CPE. Previous owners X2 converted to 12 volt but either left Old wiring harness in place ( still got old style fuse box) or installed 6 volt harness.

There's no such thing as a 6V harness. Copper wire doesn't care if 12 or 6 volts is going through it. What matters are the items powered by the voltage (lights, radio, etc).

Previously owned:
98 Porsche Boxster, silver, 2.5L -- 67 Karmann Ghia, Black, 1500sp -- 98 BMW Z3, Atlanta Blue Metallic, 2.8L I6 -- 75 Porsche 914, Laguna Blue, 2270cc -- 72 Porsche 914, Signal Orange, 1.7 FI -- 74 Karmann Ghia, Black, 1600dp -- 74 Triumph TR6 with O.D., sapphire blue
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2022 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Is 64 Ghia wiring diagram help! Reply with quote

Era Vulgaris wrote:
There's no such thing as a 6V harness. Copper wire doesn't care if 12 or 6 volts is going through it. What matters are the items powered by the voltage (lights, radio, etc).

Actually there is such a thing. 6 volt harnesses have to carry more current
P=I x E
So the wires in a 6 volt harness are thicker than 12volt harnesses to handle the extra current. It’s the current that causes heating in resistive joins and power loss. That’s why we bang on about clean connections and good grounds. It particularly applies to 6 volt cars.

Whoops! I think that pressed one of my buttons Laughing Razz
Nicholas.
VWFIXER
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2022 10:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Is 64 Ghia wiring diagram help! Reply with quote

sputnick60 wrote:
Era Vulgaris wrote:

P=I x E
So the wires in a 6 volt harness are thicker than 12volt harnesses to handle the extra current. It’s the current that causes heating in resistive joins and power loss. That’s why we bang on about clean connections and good grounds. It particularly applies to 6 volt cars.

Nicholas.

I haven't seen that formula since FC school, Laughing

Choose 2

Over a million air cooled miles driven and 15,000+ cars serviced.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Era Vulgaris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2022 5:46 am    Post subject: Re: Is 64 Ghia wiring diagram help! Reply with quote

sputnick60 wrote:
Era Vulgaris wrote:

P=I x E

Nicholas.

Ok yes, that is correct. But no one converts to 6V from a factory 12V setup, do they? Laughing
All aftermarket harnesses for factory 6V years, are listed as working with 6V or 12V. My point was (not worded very well) that you can't buy a 12V-specific harness for the OP's 64 model year. And if he has the original harness still in the car, he doesn't need to change it to work with 12V. His original factory wire harness doesn't care if 6 or 12 volts are running through it. What I should have said was: there's no such thing as a 6V-only harness as it applies to converting a car from 6V to 12V. Better? Laughing

Previously owned:
98 Porsche Boxster, silver, 2.5L -- 67 Karmann Ghia, Black, 1500sp -- 98 BMW Z3, Atlanta Blue Metallic, 2.8L I6 -- 75 Porsche 914, Laguna Blue, 2270cc -- 72 Porsche 914, Signal Orange, 1.7 FI -- 74 Karmann Ghia, Black, 1600dp -- 74 Triumph TR6 with O.D., sapphire blue
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2022 3:52 am    Post subject: Re: Is 64 Ghia wiring diagram help! Reply with quote

Era Vulgaris wrote:
.......if he has the original harness still in the car, he doesn't need to change it to work with 12V.

I agree and that is the essence of it.
Nicholas
runamoc Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2022 6:32 am    Post subject: Re: Is 64 Ghia wiring diagram help! Reply with quote

Fuses protect the wires, not what's connected to the wires. Wire gauges on Ghias, as well as Bugs, are 'under' fused. In other words the wires can carry more current than they are fused for. No need to worry about 6 volt or 12 volt gauge wire on your car.
VW Wiring = It's just wires
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2022 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Is 64 Ghia wiring diagram help! Reply with quote

If your '64's electrical harness is still mostly in place and not hacked, I recommend working with it even with that "old style" fuse setup. The wiring diagram above shows the colors and wire thicknesses which are actually used in the car.

I looked at your gallery to see that you do really have a Corvair engine! That's rarely seen here on theSamba. Is the engine still running in stock rotation (CCW) so that the transmission ring gear had to be flipped around? Or does the engine have a different cam so that the engine rotation is CW as in the VW?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
GhiaVair
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2022 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Is 64 Ghia wiring diagram help! Reply with quote

Rome: Yep it a very unusual take on Ghia. I’m a “ Corvair” person & when this came up on my EBay feed, I had to have it. The 64 ( wish it was IRS) swing axle conversion was done by a Reverse Ring gear, not the strongest fail safe way, as it puts the load on the “ coastal side” so I’m not gonna do any flaming burn outs. The preferred way is of course reverse rotation cam in the Vair engine, but that entails much more work. I can only hope that the previous owner beefed up the VW diff as is recommended. The Ghia is about 95% complete it runs & drives but there is a long list of things to complete. The owner was not a Corvair person & there is a few things to correct. Sadly the owner was elderly & only drove the Ghia once, I am humbled & honored to be able to carry on & finish his project, as this is a rust free AZ car. I just need to learn a new language….VW
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: