Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1985 Nissan 720 fuseable link needed
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:51 am    Post subject: 1985 Nissan 720 fuseable link needed Reply with quote

Well I have exhausted all of my searches both Nissan 720 groups and Facebook groups so I thought my friend sin my other car group might be able to help.

Below is the link for what I need and the image, I will attempt to make one if I have to but would rather buy one or buy a bad one and repair it.

What a stupid simple 5 wire harness and can any of my VW owners tell me what VW did to not need one. BTW these are snap fit into the wiring harness and then attached to the battery. What a PITA, correction POS.

Looks like this which are nolonger available:
http://datnissparts.com/fusible-link-assy-for-dats...022-06w11/

link to repair
https://www.autozone.com/repairguides/Nissan-Pick-...528004f5e4
www.mauiroadsters.com
http://www.oacdp.org
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: 1985 Nissan 720 fuseable link needed Reply with quote

Re use the connectors find the proper terminals and buy fuseable link wire and make your own. Napa sells the wire

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 1985 Nissan 720 fuseable link needed Reply with quote

Update, I just found the very last one at a Nissan dealer in Virginia.

Thanks skills@eurocarsplus, I am going to take my old one and do as you said remake mine from the fuseable links at Napa.

Thanks a ton,

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
Re use the connectors find the proper terminals and buy fuseable link wire and make your own. Napa sells the wire

www.mauiroadsters.com
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:37 am    Post subject: Re: 1985 Nissan 720 fuseable link needed Reply with quote

I don't have the p/n handy but they sell it in different amperages. if wire color is a issue (not sure if there are purists for that marque) you can get heat shrink tubing in those colors...the napa wire is black.

I would however do a test...put some heat shrink on a length of wire and then just make a dead short. fusible link tends to sizzle up and turn to beef jerky...not sure if heat shrink would slow that process down or not.

crazy that you actually found one

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: 1985 Nissan 720 fuseable link needed Reply with quote

Ryan will make more, they are the same as a z car, but the colors are arranged differently. he just pulls it apart and re-connects them for the 720

these fusable links should only fry if something is hooked up incorrectly, usually it's the aftermarket alternator, which is wired a little differently than the stock one. guess how I know? I fixed it with fusable link wire from Napa. I also bought one from Ryan @ lynchburg, along with an NOS coolant tank
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:54 am    Post subject: Re: 1985 Nissan 720 fuseable link needed Reply with quote

Erik G, interesting as I have been trying to figure out where the short is and BTW Reily said he will nolonger make them, but he gave me tips such as using metric fusable links for the proper rebuild and I will rebuild my old one once I get the new one. But now that I think of it my alternator may be a NAPA for 2 years ago. If it is my alternator what can I do to it to prevent a short again? I never want to have the engine die again in traffic (5 times is a PITA as well as unsafe).

Erik G wrote:
Ryan will make more, they are the same as a z car, but the colors are arranged differently. he just pulls it apart and re-connects them for the 720

these fusable links should only fry if something is hooked up incorrectly, usually it's the aftermarket alternator, which is wired a little differently than the stock one. guess how I know? I fixed it with fusable link wire from Napa. I also bought one from Ryan @ lynchburg, along with an NOS coolant tank

www.mauiroadsters.com
Lind wrote:
JasonBaker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: 1985 Nissan 720 fuseable link needed Reply with quote

I would check all the ground wires. Make sure the battery to engine block and battery to chassis/body grounds are in good shape.
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:32 am    Post subject: Re: 1985 Nissan 720 fuseable link needed Reply with quote

The fusable link just arrived last night and Ryan said it is the very last one therefore he recommended the same, check everything as there must be a short. I checked and I have the original Datsun alternator which I will test using my multi-meter assuming I check for increased voltage to the battery whicle running (right?) and check the ground wires although my mechanic did say he checked everything when he installed the new ignition switch which I think was a waste of money. I believe the headlight/turn signal switch is the culprit as it takes a few minutes for the dash and rear tail lights to turn on. The dealer has a replacement but not OEM although it must work even if it is aftermarket and sold through Nissan right?

Thanks for all your help, I am visiting my cousin tomorrow in NM and he is a retired 18 wheeler driver, I'll have him teach me how to test for a short with his US brand truck as there are some things I need to understand when testing for shorts. I'll figure this out no matter what Wink

JasonBaker wrote:
I would check all the ground wires. Make sure the battery to engine block and battery to chassis/body grounds are in good shape.

www.mauiroadsters.com
Lind wrote:
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: