Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My first tow - ABA won't start [still not solved]
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: My first tow - won't start Reply with quote

Paulbeard wrote:
The hits just keep on coming…

New coil and plugs arrived today. The coil went in but the plugs (BKR5E) did not…the terminal can't be unscrewed as on the BR6ES ones I had, so finished swapping BR6ES ones in. Turns out all four of the old plugs were broken. WTF would cause that?

Got it started but it was very rough, strong smell of unburned fuel, high idle (about 1500). It let it run for a minute and then stopped it. It refused to start again. Can you flood a fuel injected motor? I didn't test the coil beforehand but since it started once, I'm assuming for the moment it's good.

Anyway, that's the state of play. Not sure what to look at next.

1st, YES, You can flood an engine with Fuel Injection, Hydrolocking from a leaking Injector OR, and this is where I'm going with your issue, a leaking diaphragm in the Fuel Pressure Regulator. Since the fuel goes down the vacuum hose and into the engine easily, you flood the entire engine versus one cyl from a leaking ported injector.
So, remove the vacuum hose at your Fuel Pressure Reg, and make sure NO gas is present. Tell us what you find.

2nd, Those Broken Spark Plugs, get another Spark Plug Socket that plays well with your engine and the plugs you're using. Something is WRONG with the internal clearance on your socket, which stresses the porcelain on the plug as you're installing the plug or removing it.
I can't believe it's anything else than that, since having someone drop your new plugs on the floor and crack them inside their box, before handing them to you doesn't seem as likely[ although it DOES happen... Rolling Eyes ]
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: My first tow - won't start Reply with quote

If I had been more awake, I could have checked the plug wires. I suspect they are not great. That’s my next task.

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: My first tow - won't start Reply with quote

I just found this on another post...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683344

It's also an ABA...

On your current rough-running situation, double check your spark plug wire routing and confirm all sensors are plugged in.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: My first tow - won't start Reply with quote

I'll doublecheck the routing for sure, as I test them. Could the motor get hot enough to weaken them and then the coil just finished them off?

jlrftype7 wrote:

2nd, Those Broken Spark Plugs, get another Spark Plug Socket that plays well with your engine and the plugs you're using. Something is WRONG with the internal clearance on your socket, which stresses the porcelain on the plug as you're installing the plug or removing it.
I can't believe it's anything else than that, since having someone drop your new plugs on the floor and crack them inside their box, before handing them to you doesn't seem as likely[ although it DOES happen... Rolling Eyes ]

They were broken when I took the connector off: I never put a socket to them. They have been there almost four years (less than 10k miles), installed when the motor was replaced.

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: My first tow - won't start Reply with quote

Just took another look with the meter…didn't try to start it, just gathering data.

The new coil shows as .8 (on the 200 Ω scale) on the primary, and 3.74 (on the 20k Ω scale) on the secondary.

Checked continuity on the plug wires and they all showed about 1800…either consistently good or completely fcked. I am optimistically leaning toward the former. Replacing them is obviously easily done but I am trying to avoid diagnosis by part swapping. The wires in place are the ones with a shield around the plug, right the way down to the head.

The dipstick smells a little more like gas that I think is good. I assume a lot of fuel washed down on the various attempts to start so I guess that needs to be changed before I do much else.

What other tips, O Sambanisti…?

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: My first tow - won't start Reply with quote

At this point, you may want to start from scratch.

I would do a compression test now with a fully charged battery.

I have some ideas, but do a compression test first.

Good luck Red Vanagon
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: My first tow - won't start Reply with quote

I don't think compression is the issue. It wants to run, it just stumbles really badly, doesn't quite catch. Like it's running on 1 or 2 cylinders. Which may be case if the ignition wiring is messed up.

The oil did not look good, considering it only got 1000 miles on it. Darker than I like to see.

What else can be checked by one not very smart person? I can't check spark, obviously. Are there other continuity tests? How can I verify the distributor/rotor/cap and all is working?

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: My first tow - won't start Reply with quote

Don't assume the compression is good, you want to verify it. I worked in a shop watching mechanics troubleshooting rough-running issues to find out way later that there's a hole in a piston, etc.

Also, only a compression test, not a leakdown test (not yet anyway)
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: My first tow - won't start Reply with quote

Well, that's outside the scope of anything I can do. If things are that bad, next stop is the classifieds.

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: My first tow - won't start Reply with quote

You can do it. It's easy once you get the hang of it. Be sure to get a quality test kit. I have a Snap-On, but I think K-D makes a good one. Just remember to get the one that screws in, not the "hold-in" cheap tester. You will also need to get a remote starter switch.
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: My first tow - won't start Reply with quote

I'm having a hard time imagining how a coil crapping out can do all this damage, from shattered plugs to a holed piston.

If I replace the wires, rotor and cap — overdue anyway, I suppose — and that doesn't resolve it, I'll let my shop give me the bad news. And it's not like I can find those locally… Rolling Eyes so any resolution will have to wait.

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: My first tow - won't start Reply with quote

Cracked ceramic on plugs from running badly or detonation are cracked at or near the electrode, not on the outer ceramic body.

The way yours cracked screams physical abuse or a manufacturing defect.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: My first tow - won't start Reply with quote

A coil can also burn up an ECU. The reason I'm suggesting a compression test is because it should always be the beginning of any engine weird-running troubleshooting. Just like when you go see the doctor and they check your BP & weight every time.
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: My first tow - won't start Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
Cracked ceramic on plugs from running badly or detonation are cracked at or near the electrode, not on the outer ceramic body.

The way yours cracked screams physical abuse or a manufacturing defect.

Well, I never touched them til I took them out. Something isn't right Back There…too much heat or something. The only significant change was the new ECU a year or two back…not that I think that had any effect.

tjet wrote:
A coil can also burn up an ECU.

Aha. I was thinking i could swap in the old ECU and see what difference it makes. I'll be underwhelmed if that's the case…FAS will want another $500 for a new one, I'm sure.

Annnndddd… the ECU makes no difference.

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers

Last edited by Paulbeard on Sat Apr 20, 2019 4:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: My first tow - won't start Reply with quote

Yes, it could be an ECU, but before you spend another dollar on "guessing", you should really confirm the engine vitals first.

Also, before you plug in another ECU, be sure the connectors dont have any water in them, and all grounds are good. I would run another ground wire just to be safe (slave it in).
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: My first tow - won't start Reply with quote

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

It all feels like guessing right now…

All these parts are overdue for replacement so I don't see the harm in new plug wires etc. I can't be sure when they were last replaced. If all that is done and things are no better, I'll call in a tow. Even if I determine it's a bad piston, it's not like I can drive it to the shop.

So that's all of that for today, I think. I need to take this overcooked oil to FLAPS to call it done.

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: My first tow - won't start Reply with quote

I want to ask you a few questions just to recap things. Sorry if you mentioned this before & sorry that you are having troubles.

1. When was the last time the engine ran well, or your opinion of normal running?

2. What work was done (if any) just prior to your current problem?

3. If it was worked on before the problem, what/why was the reason?
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: My first tow - won't start Reply with quote

tjet wrote:

1. When was the last time the engine ran well, or your opinion of normal running?

A week ago today. Ran fine.

tjet wrote:

2. What work was done (if any) just prior to your current problem?

I replaced the coolant temp sensor and degreased around the oil filter flange/heat exchanger to try to figure out a leak.
tjet wrote:

3. If it was worked on before the problem, what/why was the reason?

Coolant temp gauge wasn't working and I know from my oil temps and other experience that the motor is running hot. Coolant gauge was fixed after replacing the sender.

It ran pretty well after that little project, though it was very hard to start. Usually starts instantly. This took quite a bit of cranking. Then after a while it ran very rough, especially below 2500 pm, then started backfiring and stumbling. It stalled while I was waiting for someone to figure out they couldn't parallel park and it was dead at that point. Pushed it to the side and called for a tow and a few attempts to start. I didn't realize the injectors/fuel rail was loose at the time. Of course it wasn't going to start. Rolling Eyes

I have a compression tester on loan from my FLAPS. I'll see what it tells me tomorrow.

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: My first tow - won't start Reply with quote

Baring no internal engine damage/issues exist, there are 3 sensors that will cause your engine to behave that way:

1. AFM / MAF sensor
2. Distributor hall pickup / crank position sensor
3. CTS - coolant temp sensor

I would make sure each one of those connectors have no water in them - depending how hard you rinsed off your engine.

The other thing I would try is reinstall the original coolant temp sensor.

Good luck
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: My first tow - won't start Reply with quote

tjet wrote:
Baring no internal engine damage/issues exist, there are 3 sensors that will cause your engine to behave that way:

1. AFM / MAF sensor
2. Distributor hall pickup / crank position sensor
3. CTS - coolant temp sensor

I would make sure each one of those connectors have no water in them - depending how hard you rinsed off your engine.

It's been a week. I hope there is no water anywhere now. The distributor and Hall sender are dry, never got wet. The AFM/MAF sensor was replaced a couple of years ago. How can I test that? Can I just unplug or unmount it?

Not sure I can find the temp sender but I can't imagine how a functioning one would cause this when a broken one was fine. Can you explain your thinking there?

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: