Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Sunroof Gear Assembly. Long or short shaft?
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
padgett
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:27 pm    Post subject: Sunroof Gear Assembly. Long or short shaft? Reply with quote

hey guys 73 squareback.

Would I need the short or long shaft assembly? I'm hoping long, because the one I have seems to sit in the recess of the center guide a bit low.

https://www.jbugs.com/product/117877403A.html?rrec=true
https://www.jbugs.com/product/117877403.html?rrec=true
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Sunroof Gear Assembly. Long or short shaft? Reply with quote

If I had to make a guess, I'd say long. I suppose you could check against ISP's site, to see what numbers they use. I know my 65 uses the long style.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
padgett
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Sunroof Gear Assembly. Long or short shaft? Reply with quote

hey again bob Smile

From what I can tell, the real difference is in the spline that the crank handle attaches to. The 'short' one is shorter. But comparing the two it does look like the gear side is taller. I'll take a pic tonight when i get home of how it looks, but it definitely looks like the gear should be higher up in the center guide.

Wouldn't surprise me as I'm finding a lot of parts on my car aren't type 3 but from busses. Previous owner had 3 of em, so it would make sense he slapped on what he had around just to sell it.
padgett
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: Sunroof Gear Assembly. Long or short shaft? Reply with quote

pics. Note how low the gear sits in the center guide. Granted this is the ISPWest repro, but still. I would think the gear would sit up higher than that.

is this expected?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

padgett
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Sunroof Gear Assembly. Long or short shaft? Reply with quote

something i thought about. Is this winding gear supposed to sit this far down into the cabin? how its pictured is how it sits with the retaining bolts tightened up. Other pics i've seen have the winding gear assembly almost flush with the headliner. Is this correct?
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Sunroof Gear Assembly. Long or short shaft? Reply with quote

padgett wrote:

something i thought about. Is this winding gear supposed to sit this far down into the cabin? how its pictured is how it sits with the retaining bolts tightened up. Other pics i've seen have the winding gear assembly almost flush with the headliner. Is this correct?

Mine sits almost flush under the headliner. I'm wondering if there's something spacing yours out to sit on the headliner. Might be worth investigating. You could use the plastic spoon shaped piece to help determine what's going on.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
padgett
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Sunroof Gear Assembly. Long or short shaft? Reply with quote

I snapped a pic of the underside yesterday as well. You can see the dirty outline of where the winding assembly I have sits. And the sunroof 'frame'. I really dont see anywhere for this assembly to fit into.

Its possible I have an assembly from another car, but through some reaserch it seems like the winding gear is pretty much the same across bugs/type 3's of that era. Biggest difference being the long and short shaft that I posted in my 1st reply.

Could be from a bus? But i'll look further. Its great to have confirmation that something strange is going on.

Thanks bob.
ALLWAGONS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: Sunroof Gear Assembly. Long or short shaft? Reply with quote

It looks like when you replaced your headliner, you forgot to replace the sunroof roof foam. It is a preformed piece that sits opposite the plastic covers. It give the gear a little niche to fit into the headliner.

I recycle old cars and parts, other than when I rot, that's as Green as I am going to get.

Thanks to my Tesla driving neighbors, I feel more relaxed driving my SUBURBAN and old VW's.

NON INFLUENCER APPROVED
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
padgett
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: Sunroof Gear Assembly. Long or short shaft? Reply with quote

ALLWAGONS wrote:

It looks like when you replaced your headliner, you forgot to replace the sunroof roof foam. It is a preformed piece that sits opposite the plastic covers. It give the gear a little niche to fit into the headliner.

This makes a lot of sense, thanks Allwagons.

Too late to replace that now Rolling Eyes

That makes sense as to why its sticking down so much. Unfortunately this doesn't get to the root of my initial problem, which is why my gear is so recessed in the center guide.
ALLWAGONS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Sunroof Gear Assembly. Long or short shaft? Reply with quote

I didn't see what your winding gears look like but here are pics of a bug VS type 3 for comparison.

Type 3 on bottom
Type 1 on top 2

Type 3 on right
Type 1 on left

Type 1

Type 3

I recycle old cars and parts, other than when I rot, that's as Green as I am going to get.

Thanks to my Tesla driving neighbors, I feel more relaxed driving my SUBURBAN and old VW's.

NON INFLUENCER APPROVED
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
padgett
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: Sunroof Gear Assembly. Long or short shaft? Reply with quote

Thanks for posting, its given me a lot to chew on.

I'll take a look at my gear's part number and see.

But eyeballing through those pics, doesn't seem like theres a huge difference in the winding gears except for the crank spline being long or short.

I don't think my issue is with the winding gear...i might not even have an issue. Just looks odd that the gear is so far recessed in the center guide.
ALLWAGONS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Sunroof Gear Assembly. Long or short shaft? Reply with quote

If you look at the sunroof FAQ there are more than one sunroof setups. Top and bottoms. I own set #1 of ISP’s aluminium pieces but it sits in my showcase. I don’t know what base they used as a template.

NON INFLUENCER APPROVED
padgett
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Sunroof Gear Assembly. Long or short shaft? Reply with quote

just checked my part number

its 117877403

Based on what you posted, its from a bug. I did see some winding assemblies on the T3 classifieds with my part number though, so I'm going to surrender myself to the experts to answer that one. It'd make sense some part numbers would be shared.
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: Sunroof Gear Assembly. Long or short shaft? Reply with quote

padgett wrote:

I snapped a pic of the underside yesterday as well.

There's something off about this pic, but I can't quite figure it out. It almost looks like the threaded bosses are mushroomed, not allowing the gear base to fit over them. If this is happening, the the gear will sit lower in the cable mixing area. I only say that, because when you look at the 117 gear box, it looks like the holes are slightly counter bored to allow the threaded stand offs to fit inside. I don't know what size the holes are in the 313 gear box, so I can't say they will slip over those threaded inserts or not.

Note, I'm just comparing the 2 from photos, so I can't be sure if it's an optical illusion or not.
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
padgett
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: Sunroof Gear Assembly. Long or short shaft? Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:
padgett wrote:

I snapped a pic of the underside yesterday as well.

There's something off about this pic, but I can't quite figure it out. It almost looks like the threaded bosses are mushroomed, not allowing the gear base to fit over them. If this is happening, the the gear will sit lower in the cable mixing area. I only say that, because when you look at the 117 gear box, it looks like the holes are slightly counter bored to allow the threaded stand offs to fit inside. I don't know what size the holes are in the 313 gear box, so I can't say they will slip over those threaded inserts or not.

Note, I'm just comparing the 2 from photos, so I can't be sure if it's an optical illusion or not.

I'll take a look at the treaded bosses on the center guide, but i can't comprehend why they'd be mushroomed.

I can definitely cut down the bosses or chamfer the winding gear a bit more, but I don't think that'll get me closer to my solution. When everything's mounted up, the winding gear is flush to the frame. Giving it a bit more room to insert, it would still hit against the sunroof frame.

I'm outa ideas.
ALLWAGONS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 9:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Sunroof Gear Assembly. Long or short shaft? Reply with quote

You are 100% right, 117 877 403 (beetle part) was used on all type 3 after chassis # 318 000 001. In other words . >'68.

NON INFLUENCER APPROVED
ALLWAGONS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 9:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Sunroof Gear Assembly. Long or short shaft? Reply with quote

padgett wrote:
pics. Note how low the gear sits in the center guide. Granted this is the ISPWest repro, but still. I would think the gear would sit up higher than that.

is this expected?

I also noted you haven't screwed the center piece down into the sunroof sheet metal. That willl bring it closer to the center winding gear.

NON INFLUENCER APPROVED
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: