Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

rust primer por15
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Murmsk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:16 am    Post subject: rust primer por15 Reply with quote

I bought some POR15 paint system which comes with a spray bottle of etch. The directions say to spray and let soak for a time the rinse with water. Youtube vids show just wiping with a wet cloth.

there are places I would like to prime but are in areas where a full rinse would be a mess. It seems to me that leaving an acidic surface seems like a bad idea for rust reasons but maybe not.

what have others done?

s
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: rust primer por15 Reply with quote

You need to visit the body and paint forums- much more specific help over there. Search: POR 15

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: rust primer por15 Reply with quote

the acid is to be removed, it needs to be removed. the residues from the acid if left under the paint will cause issues. I believe the acid is H3PO4 along with zinc. Acid residues, and unadhered zinc will cause adhesion problems. Acid left behind may generate gas which can lift paint.

Hot water is much more effective at residue removal than cold.

Use of degreaser prior to metal prep applications is required. greasy residues will prevent the acid from working as expected.

Bug On!

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
tspot100
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: rust primer por15 Reply with quote

i use ospho. no need to rinse . great for all rust. have done all my pans etc before applying por-15 many years ago and still looks great.
volksworld
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: rust primer por15 Reply with quote

the problem with por 15 is that it wont adhere to a shiny clean metal surface...thats why they tell you to put it directly onto a rusty surface once you wire brush off the loose stuff....the acid etch is to provide some "tooth" for the paint to adhere to...and supposedly a little surface rust from the water cleanup helps....if you believe them...i'm sure you can neutralize the acid with wet rags( and repetedly rinsing them thoroughly), but it'll take a whole lot longer than just flushing it with a hose
johneliot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: rust primer por15 Reply with quote

I really like Master Series. I've used both and much prefer Master Series.
http://www.masterseriesct.com

There is no distinctly American criminal class - except Congress.
Mark Twain

69 bug - "The Grey Ghost"
Tom K.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:34 pm    Post subject: Re: rust primer por15 Reply with quote

I'm going to use Master Series too on my current project. Funny that POR15 is so revered on this forum yet so criticized as crap over on the bus/van forums. POR15 seems like a pain in the butt to me - need a rusty surface, have to cover it to protect from UV, etc. And the whole idea of *encapsulating* rust just seems wrong to me - especially on a van. I prefer to first *convert* that rust with OSPHO and then cover the clean metal with something like Master Series. But, hey, arguing over paint systems never gets old.
'65 Ghia: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=762478&highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
73SlowBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:44 pm    Post subject: Re: rust primer por15 Reply with quote

Tom K. wrote:
I'm going to use Master Series too on my current project. Funny that POR15 is so revered on this forum yet so criticized as crap over on the bus/van forums. POR15 seems like a pain in the butt to me - need a rusty surface, have to cover it to protect from UV, etc. And the whole idea of *encapsulating* rust just seems wrong to me - especially on a van. I prefer to first *convert* that rust with OSPHO and then cover the clean metal with something like Master Series. But, hey, arguing over paint systems never gets old.

If you get the kit, por15 comes.with a rust converter. You degrease, convert the rust, then topcoat. In my opinion, it's great stuff. I also have used total.boat rust converter as well. I recommend both. No sign of rust coming back on my floor pans or heater channel after use. And my floor pans were awful before i converted and patched, and painted.
beanlover
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: rust primer por15 Reply with quote

Tom K. wrote:
I'm going to use Master Series too on my current project.

+1 from me as well...I saw POR-15 first but then saw the ad on here for Masterseries and looked into both...I'm convinced that Masterseries is the one I want for long term rust proofing of my chassis and body. I live near Pittsburgh, PA and one of the "claims to fame" for Masterseries is that it was applied on a bridge here in Pittsburgh (see here for their write up of it). If it can protect a bridge that well (which gets multiple coatings per winter of whatever ice/snow melting stuff they put on the roads here) then I'm sure it can protect my "precious" for at least as long if not longer with vigilance from me making sure to fix problem spots along the way.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: