Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Oil pressure gauge pegs
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
candyman
Samba Trout Slayer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:15 pm    Post subject: Oil pressure gauge pegs Reply with quote

Hey all,
So i am bench testing a new vdo op gauge using a oil filter sandwich adapter for the sending unit install. I run a wire from the G on the sender to the gauge signal peg. I am just holding this gauge in the engine compartment as a bench test. So i run a negative from gauge to ground strap and then run a positive from gauge to alternator 12v source. What happens is the gauge pegs all the way. What am I doing wrong? I had the same issue with a cheapo chinese gauge and sender a couple of weeks ago but wrote it off as crap. Same thing is happening with this brand new vdo so it is clearly something that I am doing wrong. Any clues here?

As far as gloshift adapter plate, i have read of those not grounding right. Could something be going on here?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jberger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil pressure gauge pegs Reply with quote

candyman wrote:
Hey all,
So i am bench testing a new vdo op gauge using a oil filter sandwich adapter for the sending unit install. I run a wire from the G on the sender to the gauge signal peg. I am just holding this gauge in the engine compartment as a bench test. So i run a negative from gauge to ground strap and then run a positive from gauge to alternator 12v source. What happens is the gauge pegs all the way. What am I doing wrong? I had the same issue with a cheapo chinese gauge and sender a couple of weeks ago but wrote it off as crap. Same thing is happening with this brand new vdo so it is clearly something that I am doing wrong. Any clues here?

As far as gloshift adapter plate, i have read of those not grounding right. Could something be going on here?

Run a temporary ground to the sender itself.

J
wesitarz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil pressure gauge pegs Reply with quote

http://www.bugsandbuggies.com/pdf/vdo/0-515-012-178.pdf
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil pressure gauge pegs Reply with quote

Before I hooked up the sender on my VDO oil pressure gauge, it would peg whenever the key was on. I drove around like that for months. Once I hooked up the sender, it functioned as expected. As mentioned, you need to ground the base of the sending unit.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
candyman
Samba Trout Slayer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil pressure gauge pegs Reply with quote

Grounded the base of the sender and no change, still pegs out. Super frustrated here. Sender is ground, gauge is grounded and with a 12 v source from alternator. What am i doing wrong here? For the sender, I ran a ground from one of the unused ports on the glowshift adapter to the engine itself, tested for continuity and there is between the sender and the engine, therefore sender is grounded correct? It is clearly something that I am doing wrong as I got the same exact results with a different set of gauges and senders
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil pressure gauge pegs Reply with quote

Did you check continuity between gauge and sender? I've had visually perfect crimped fittings that did not convey continuity in the past. This is clearly an issue between ground the sender and the gauge.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
candyman
Samba Trout Slayer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil pressure gauge pegs Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
Did you check continuity between gauge and sender? I've had visually perfect crimped fittings that did not convey continuity in the past. This is clearly an issue between ground the sender and the gauge.

Thanks for that, just double checked and yes all good there. I got to reverse engineer this. Anyone have issues with the glowshift adaptor?
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil pressure gauge pegs Reply with quote

Is it only with the engine running or is just having the key on enough?

Mark
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil pressure gauge pegs Reply with quote

Glowshift adapters are anodized aluminum. anodize coatings are non-conductive. you must scratch thru the pretty coating at both the nut and the sender threads to make it functional.

'87 Westy & '89 Westy both 2.1 4spd

Past projects can be found at--
www.thefixitworkshop.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
candyman
Samba Trout Slayer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil pressure gauge pegs Reply with quote

crazyvwvanman wrote:
Is it only with the engine running or is just having the key on enough?

Mark

Since im mocking it up im using the the alternator b+ As 12v source. Key on or off no difference
candyman
Samba Trout Slayer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil pressure gauge pegs Reply with quote

DanHoug wrote:
Glowshift adapters are anodized aluminum. anodize coatings are non-conductive. you must scratch thru the pretty coating at both the nut and the sender threads to make it functional.

Im running a temp ground from one port to the engine. With that connected i got continuity from sender body to ground. Im presuming that means its grounded correctly right?
candyman
Samba Trout Slayer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil pressure gauge pegs Reply with quote

Not sure if this is a clue or not, with sender disconnected but gauge still grounded and 12v, it still pegs
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil pressure gauge pegs Reply with quote

candyman wrote:
Not sure if this is a clue or not, with sender disconnected but gauge still grounded and 12v, it still pegs

Your problem is at the gauge.

Recheck all your wires

Last edited by tjet on Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
candyman
Samba Trout Slayer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil pressure gauge pegs Reply with quote

tjet wrote:
Are you sure it's on the G lug? I think the other one is W.

It is, i tried to take a vid of my setup, but cant upload it here for whatever reason
tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil pressure gauge pegs Reply with quote

candyman wrote:

Then ground the sender wire to same ground point, if gauge goes to zero, all is well with the gauge.

Then remove sender and test resistance by itself, G-pin to nipple. It's probably a 10-180ohm sender, so going by the way VDO gauges respond (opposite of most built-in gauges) it should be 10 ohm at rest.

If sender has the idiot light function as well the W pin to nipple should be 0 ohm.

Please don't PM here, I will not reply.

Experience is kryptonite to doctrine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil pressure gauge pegs Reply with quote

I had to send back a gauge (VDO as well) that did the same thing.

Mine grounded to the block (actually, the heat exchanger it screws into) and used the G peg for signal, as yours seems to. It worked fine, the second time.

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
candyman
Samba Trout Slayer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil pressure gauge pegs Reply with quote

tencentlife wrote:
candyman wrote:

Then ground the sender wire to same ground point, if gauge goes to zero, all is well with the gauge.

Then remove sender and test resistance by itself, G-pin to nipple. It's probably a 10-180ohm sender, so going by the way VDO gauges respond (opposite of most built-in gauges) it should be 10 ohm at rest.

If sender has the idiot light function as well the W pin to nipple should be 0 ohm.

Bingo! Thanks 10c, no resistance when testing sender by itself. G nor W. Bad sender :/
tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil pressure gauge pegs Reply with quote

Quote:
no resistance when testing sender by itself. G nor W. Bad sender :/

No resistance as in zero ohms? If the sender was bad, as in open circuit, you would see infinite ohms. Is that what you meant?

Please don't PM here, I will not reply.

Experience is kryptonite to doctrine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
candyman
Samba Trout Slayer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil pressure gauge pegs Reply with quote

tencentlife wrote:
Quote:
no resistance when testing sender by itself. G nor W. Bad sender :/

No resistance as in zero ohms? If the sender was bad, as in open circuit, you would see infinite ohms. Is that what you meant?

As in no change to resistance whatsoever ever with engine running. No ohms values at all, hot cold, engine on or off. I notice the sender body has some damage to it, like a soup can that get a dent in it, so this may be the cause
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: