Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Painting the chrome bumpers with black tough stuff
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
a2wolfsburggli
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:37 pm    Post subject: Painting the chrome bumpers with black tough stuff Reply with quote

Has anyone driveway painted their stock chrome bumper with rhino liner or any equivalents?

Looking for opinions on prep. Sanding, chemicals etc to get the chrome to take the paint.

Secondarily looking for opinions on coating products. I believe I've read about some being too thick or too rough? (Yes, I search for "Paint Bumpers," here and got no real good dedicated threads.)

Thanks again all!

Past: '09 CC 3.6L 4motion "R36 wannabe" | '02 Audi TT "ALMS Edition" | '84 Jetta GLI with Autotech Supercharger | '89 Helios Jetta GLI 16v's (x2) | '95.5 URS6 | and the list goes on.

Never underestimate the entertainment value of OCD overruling Common Sense
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Painting the chrome bumpers with black tough stuff Reply with quote

Check out thewump's post in this thread:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...p;start=20

He goes through the whole process. It works, looks great, and lasts.

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jberger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Painting the chrome bumpers with black tough stuff Reply with quote

joetiger wrote:

When you say it lasts... are there Updates since 2010? My experience with rattle can rustoleum.. is that it doesn’t... last. The thread you linked didn’t offer bedliner alternatives, which the OP asked about.

J
kaalualu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Painting the chrome bumpers with black tough stuff Reply with quote

I used 60 grit sandpaper on my chrome bumper covers and had them Linex'ed. Clear coat or flat, both look good and are really tough. I reccomend LineX over any of the other treatments.
a2wolfsburggli
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: Painting the chrome bumpers with black tough stuff Reply with quote

joetiger wrote:

Nice, thanks for the link!

Now...on to recommendations for paint coating products? I'm looking for a little texture, but not full truck bed material.

Past: '09 CC 3.6L 4motion "R36 wannabe" | '02 Audi TT "ALMS Edition" | '84 Jetta GLI with Autotech Supercharger | '89 Helios Jetta GLI 16v's (x2) | '95.5 URS6 | and the list goes on.

Never underestimate the entertainment value of OCD overruling Common Sense
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: