Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How to change Truckfridge door panel (with pics)
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:03 pm    Post subject: How to change Truckfridge door panel (with pics) Reply with quote

It's fairly easy to change the panel on the truckfridge door.

From a 2018 thread: DIY installation of laminate panel into door of TruckFridge TF49

Sodo wrote:
Howesight wrote:
It is Formica product Number 927-58. The name of the colour is "Folkstone" and it is in the matte finish. Home Depot can order it for you.

30x96 sheet is $33 at HomeDepot, free delivery to the store. I might buy a sheet, does anyone in Seattle need some?

Heres some pics with notes.
Sorry they are not in sequence, but I think they show the details that you need to know.

1) Remove the door by removing the lower hinge. The screws are on the bottom pointing up, so you may have to pull the fridge completely out. There are 4 screws, I removed 3 of them, just enough to tip the hinge down and disengage the door.

2) Pry the bottom strip off. It's hard to see where to pry, but just jam a screwdriver or knife into the second groove (where you see it in the pic). Slide the lower trim off. This lets the door panel slide out of the door.

3) Mark your holes for the latch. I did it by carefully marking the latch position but it's simpler to use your old panel as a template. The holes can be large clearance holes because the latch will cover them.
I didn't take pics of the template method but you prob don't need pics, right?.....

4) reassemble in reverse order

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
JudoJeff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:27 am    Post subject: Re: How to change Truckfridge door panel (with pics) Reply with quote

Nice job! Not something I’d have thought to document.
1986 Vanagon GL Westfalia Camper, Bostig Sold May 10, 2021
1999 Ford GTRV Westfalia camper (30% bigger Westy layout)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: How to change Truckfridge door panel (with pics) Reply with quote

JudoJeff wrote:
Nice job! Not something I’d have thought to document.

Seems like nobody else has either, but theres a lot of Truckfridges in Vanagons and I bet some of the owners would like to change the panel.
Some just need a few pics, or the inspiration.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
Howesight
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: How to change Truckfridge door panel (with pics) Reply with quote

Sodo, you rock! Thanks for the pictorial. Even though I did my TF65 many years ago, I forgot how the trim came apart. Nice post!
2dogs1van
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: How to change Truckfridge door panel (with pics) Reply with quote

Sodo did this for me on Sunday. It looks so much better. Can't thank you enough Sodo. You're the best!
koubiak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: How to change Truckfridge door panel (with pics) Reply with quote

Thanks for the pictures. I am preparing the install of the fridge. and that was super easy to insert a nice laminate.

Looks so much better now Cool

Now I need to finish procrastinating and finish the electricity for my second battery.
jasonpap2002
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: How to change Truckfridge door panel (with pics) Reply with quote

This was very helpful to me - great post and thank you!

~Jason
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: