Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1972 Vw BayWindow/ Sunshine :) Keep on Truckin' , Grateful Bus
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Grateful Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 1972 Vw BayWindow/ Sunshine :) Keep on Truckin' , Grateful Bus Reply with quote

Ok so I just got back from looking at the 2.0 engine and fuel injection system parts, I feel it will make a great start to the project.. so now my next concerns are when I go to install the engine tins/heater tubes are there any changes that will need to be made? As I have 1972 tins for my 72 bus. And the engine will be a 76, also I don't have a 091 Trans, as I have the stock 72 transmission 002 for now.. I will eventually get a 091, When my budget allows it. For the meantime how will my 002 Trans act/hold up to a 2.0 and pulling a boat? or is pulling the boat just out of the question for now and just minimal driving until I get the 091 Transmission? Just really any tips and things I should expect from taking on such a feat. Thanks again samba community!

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9052832#9052832
Grateful Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 1972 Vw BayWindow/ Sunshine :) Keep on Truckin' , Grateful Bus Reply with quote

I'm just mainly after a budget build to pull a boat and get started in the vw life. as this is my primary vehicle, gave my reliable one to my GirlFriend to excuse fixing this one XD I can build a more permanent motor later while driving and making use of this wonderful bus

Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 1972 Vw BayWindow/ Sunshine :) Keep on Truckin' , Grateful Bus Reply with quote

Okay, yeah... the Type 4 heads are always the weak point on these engines.

I'm running a Weber Progressive DFEV properly jetted with a 205 S distributor on my 1973 1.7 engine. This is not the ideal set-up... but it can be made to work. Never as good as proper dual 32-36 PDSIT carbs or fuel injection.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Grateful Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: 1972 Vw BayWindow/ Sunshine :) Keep on Truckin' , Grateful Bus Reply with quote

[quote="Jetfxr69"]
Grateful Bus wrote:

Wheels were turnin and they cant slow down.

If the thunder don't get ya, than the lightning will Cool Boo hoo!

Once my Pc cooperates I will have pictures up of the internals,
you will be blown away i'm sure at how the bus was running when pulled
And to answer your question the exhaust valve was detonated into the cylinder head. So its basically a dead cylinder. I believe the culprit to be the progressive carb set up the bus isn't running stiot, more on the lean side causing detonation in all 4 cylinders, and well one suffered more than the others. but long story short Both heads are needing replaced and i believe i'm just gonna use the 1.7L to build a 2.0L or purchase this 76 engine once i go look at it. but that wont be until saturday

Keep on Truckin'

Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: 1972 Vw BayWindow/ Sunshine :) Keep on Truckin' , Grateful Bus Reply with quote

Curious...

Looks like you had decent compression all but for one cylinder. Before you tore down your engine, were you able to determine with a leak-down test why that cylinder was low?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jetfxr69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:54 am    Post subject: Re: 1972 Vw BayWindow/ Sunshine :) Keep on Truckin' , Grateful Bus Reply with quote

Grateful Bus wrote:

Yes Grateful Dead for Life!!!! In a dream would would love to drive Sunshine to a dead show like i'm sure she did in her past life!!!

Understand my man! Been there and done that too.

Eugene oregon for JGB somewheres around 93 or so
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Wifes 76 deluxe that went all over the country for two years following a notorious group of pranksters and merrimen. Once sage green that was reduced to bondo-primer grey. Wheels were turnin and they cant slow down.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This was the headliner from that bus. It now lives on in Seamus (77 westy).

‘77 westy Seamus
‘76 tintop Crusher
‘77 westy The Judge
‘72 tintop bastard westy Hudson
Grateful Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:03 am    Post subject: Re: 1972 Vw BayWindow/ Sunshine :) Keep on Truckin' , Grateful Bus Reply with quote

NoBudgetVWGarage wrote:
Spittin' image of my Toaster. 72 Deluxe Transporter converted to Camper status. I ended up with a 6 Rib and a 2.0 running Dual Dellorto 36's. Loving my setup. Heading from So Cal to Oregon on Monday just cause im getting old and better do it while I can.

I have lotsa Type 4 engine parts/heads/etc.. as well as fuel injection parts. Unfortunately out of town for a couple of weeks. Stay in touch

Well thank you man! That's exciting to hear someone else has the same set up as me! I love the Westfalia interior and the Deluxe exterior. It really fits well together in my opinion!

Enjoy your trip, and hit me up when you return and Ill let ya know what all parts im still looking for Teal Bay Bus

Keep on Truckin'

NoBudgetVWGarage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:53 pm    Post subject: Re: 1972 Vw BayWindow/ Sunshine :) Keep on Truckin' , Grateful Bus Reply with quote

Spittin' image of my Toaster. 72 Deluxe Transporter converted to Camper status. I ended up with a 6 Rib and a 2.0 running Dual Dellorto 36's. Loving my setup. Heading from So Cal to Oregon on Monday just cause im getting old and better do it while I can.

I have lotsa Type 4 engine parts/heads/etc.. as well as fuel injection parts. Unfortunately out of town for a couple of weeks. Stay in touch
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 1972 Vw BayWindow/ Sunshine :) Keep on Truckin' , Grateful Bus Reply with quote

Grateful Bus wrote:
. is there anywhere with a demonstration of how the bed should properly work?

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/aug72westy.php

Lift the bottom section until you hear a click, then pull it forward. To stow lift until it clicks and push it down and back.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Grateful Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 1972 Vw BayWindow/ Sunshine :) Keep on Truckin' , Grateful Bus Reply with quote

alman72 wrote:
just don't pop the bed from the donor bus up and down. it is designed to lift up the seat and auto lock, to enable you to then pull the seat toward you folding everything down. When you used your big ol foot to lift it up u should have clicked and locked. Most people don't know how these were designed to work, and manhandle them around, bending and breaking the little tabs that make it easy to fold down. long story short, find and read up on it.

That is a very good point!! thank you for bringing that to my attention. is there anywhere with a demonstration of how the bed should properly work?

alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 1972 Vw BayWindow/ Sunshine :) Keep on Truckin' , Grateful Bus Reply with quote

just don't pop the bed from the donor bus up and down. it is designed to lift up the seat and auto lock, to enable you to then pull the seat toward you folding everything down. When you used your big ol foot to lift it up u should have clicked and locked. Most people don't know how these were designed to work, and manhandle them around, bending and breaking the little tabs that make it easy to fold down. long story short, find and read up on it.
Grateful Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 1972 Vw BayWindow/ Sunshine :) Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:
I've found that the Truckfridge TF49 fits in place of the icebox very well.
nice efficient unit. though I for one am not a fan of the icebox at the sliding door location anyways.. ice box turned 90* behind the driver seat and jumpseat by the sliding door (if at all) is a much more functional layout.
Grateful Bus wrote:
As for the plans on the build, We are going to use the interior from a Westfalia Weekender as pictured above. I have been able to save every piece except the sink cabinet was planning on converting the icebox in it to a dc/ac powered fridge if i can find a potential quality candidate.

Could you point me to some picture examples? as id like to make good use of the table for myself and company for when raining or weather isn't the best.

Grateful Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 1972 Vw BayWindow/ Sunshine :) Keep on Truckin' , Grateful Bus Reply with quote

alman72 wrote:
that chrome trim around the windows is a bugger when you put all new seals around all your bus. Unless the PO did it, you are going to have to do it. Others on here have the knowledge to do it with the trim, but it is just easier to put on new seals that don't have the trim.
I don't know if you can reuse your all your old chrome, but I believe I have read that the new stuff is just chromed plastic that does not wear very well
an option that I have been considering is a slider on the slider door, and joilisies on the back side. The joulsie that is on the slider now makes a horrible racket and flops around when I shut the door (you know about the door trick, yes?) slide it gently until it clicks mostly shut, then lift the lever door handle and it sucks the door the rest of the way closed!)
there is a also a trick to your westy bed, but if a PO did not know it, the tooth that grabs for easy fold down is prob broken)

Well my bus didn't have a westy interior in it. and i have yet to install it. just have it all in the garage. i'm about to pull out the current homemade interior and restain it and probably place it up on the samba classifieds. but as for installing the westy interior in my Deluxe i still need to do prep work, track down all mounting hardware. That is if you can mount the westy interior without modding a 9 seater passenger model. Id like it to be a genuine as possible.

danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 1972 Vw BayWindow/ Sunshine :) Reply with quote

I've found that the Truckfridge TF49 fits in place of the icebox very well.
nice efficient unit. though I for one am not a fan of the icebox at the sliding door location anyways.. ice box turned 90* behind the driver seat and jumpseat by the sliding door (if at all) is a much more functional layout.
Grateful Bus wrote:
As for the plans on the build, We are going to use the interior from a Westfalia Weekender as pictured above. I have been able to save every piece except the sink cabinet was planning on converting the icebox in it to a dc/ac powered fridge if i can find a potential quality candidate.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 1972 Vw BayWindow/ Sunshine :) Keep on Truckin' , Grateful Bus Reply with quote

that chrome trim around the windows is a bugger when you put all new seals around all your bus. Unless the PO did it, you are going to have to do it. Others on here have the knowledge to do it with the trim, but it is just easier to put on new seals that don't have the trim.
I don't know if you can reuse your all your old chrome, but I believe I have read that the new stuff is just chromed plastic that does not wear very well
an option that I have been considering is a slider on the slider door, and joilisies on the back side. The joulsie that is on the slider now makes a horrible racket and flops around when I shut the door (you know about the door trick, yes?) slide it gently until it clicks mostly shut, then lift the lever door handle and it sucks the door the rest of the way closed!)
there is a also a trick to your westy bed, but if a PO did not know it, the tooth that grabs for easy fold down is prob broken)
Grateful Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:35 am    Post subject: 1972 Vw BayWindow/ Sunshine :) Keep on Truckin' , Grateful Bus Reply with quote

So after reaching out to a few people on thesamba.com, I have actually found there are still more fuel injection parts out there than I thought. With that being said I believe we are gonna go down the route of a L-Jetronic Fuel injection system on the 72 Vw Custom deluxe/ Westy Weekender Conversion, Opposed to the dual carbs. As we are already mixing the best of two models with the Deluxe Exterior Featuring Chrome trim around the bus and a chrome VW emblem on the front, an Arm air vent rest for both front seats continuing to the rear, with the early 72 Westfalia camping interior right? So might as well give this unique "original" build even more unique and original twist with a 1978/79 Engine/Trans set up in this 1972 body. so with that being said. I currently am on the lookout for a 2.0 engine in rebuildable shape, a complete fuel injection system, 091 trans aka the 6 rib transmission that meets our Budget. I have found a couple leads on the fuel injection, But nothing is set in stone yet. Will post updates as they come along. Remember Keep on Truckin' Smile Cheers VW Logo Very Happy

Oh ya and my engine removal pics are still not cooperating with my Pc so will be uploaded....Eventually VW Logo Teal Bay Bus

Grateful Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:52 am    Post subject: 1972 Vw BayWindow/ Sunshine :) Keep on Truckin' , Grateful Bus Reply with quote

Well funny story is I currently have all three variants haha. As i purchased the bus with Wing windows as it is a deluxe model and has chrome trim around all the windows. My buddy had louvered windows and I wanted a set so picked so up at a local salvage to rebuild"never rebuilt yet though haha" then heard about the sliders and seen a pair on craigslist preparing for my build. Now i'm finally have the time to pour sweat and blood into restoring her back to her prime, and idk what to settle on. If I go away from the wing windows I will lose the chrome around the center windows. so I just want to make the right choice and not dismantle/cut up a part of the bus i will regret!

Yes Grateful Dead for Life!!!! I was born the year before jerry died unfortunately so i never got to see them live in the flesh. but i've seen Phil lesh and the family terrapin band, and plan to see Bob Weir this summer Smile. In a dream would would love to drive Sunshine to a dead show like i'm sure she did in her past life!!!

Jetfxr69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:14 am    Post subject: Re: 1972 Vw BayWindow/ Sunshine :) Keep on Truckin' , Greatful Bus Reply with quote

Get cracking! Great build bus. Assuming PO was a Deadhead and maybe you are or maybe you isnt, dont mater either way, but did you mean to be “greatful bus” or “grateful bus”?

Nice to see you wasted no time in camping and enjoying it. Soon enough you will be going down the rabbit hole ( credit notchboy), and wish you could be out camping again. And not trying to put all the pieces back together.

Outlawed Jalosie in Wales—- thats funny. As long as he stays out of Wales, hes safe i reckon.

‘77 westy Seamus
‘76 tintop Crusher
‘77 westy The Judge
‘72 tintop bastard westy Hudson
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:05 am    Post subject: Re: 1972 Vw BayWindow/ Sunshine :) Keep on Truckin' , Greatful Bus Reply with quote

Jalosie best for rain. Scour the classifieds To find some.

They are rare in the UK since the Outlawed Jalosie in Wales.

A 500 lb boat plus trailer will be ok in flatlands or easy going in hills.

Turn all those toy hose clamps into pot metal and use Oetiker clamps on new fuel line when you get to the FI.

Build up a $500 pot and have Robbie or Colin spend a half-full day with you and your bus, it will save you $5000
Grateful Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:18 pm    Post subject: 1972 Vw BayWindow/ Sunshine :) Reply with quote

Also here's a good question, if you had the option of using any VW bus window for your center windows, would you choose the
Jalouse
Sliders
Or wing windows?
and why? serious question as we are looking for the best option for being in the Bus quite frequently and don't want to cause rust problems, or ventilation issues. Leaning towards louvered jalousie windows, But we know they dont hold in heat as well... they are better for the rain correct? are wing windows the best of both worlds? or are sliders the way to go? haha

BAY WINDOW NOOB AT ITS FINEST

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: