Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1972 Vw BayWindow/ Sunshine :) Keep on Truckin' , Grateful Bus
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Grateful Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:12 pm    Post subject: 1972 Vw BayWindow/ Sunshine :) Reply with quote

As for the plans on the build, We are going to use the interior from a Westfalia Weekender as pictured above. I have been able to save every piece except the sink cabinet was planning on converting the icebox in it to a dc/ac powered fridge if i can find a potential quality candidate. Might even keep it original if found in good enough shape, and have a separate dometic fridge and use the built in Ice box under the sink for drink storage while the fridge will be for food. The interior inside Sunshine currently is that homemade wood cabinet interior with a single memory foam bed that we will be restaining, and posting up in the classifieds one day probably soon. Especially if someone is interested in it! can get more pics up to just ask!, in the meantime we're waiting for my pc to allow me to upload the pictures of my engine internals. Just wait!! They are horrific. IDK how it ran the way it did. Guess engines want to be driven right? lol Smile

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9052832#9052832
Grateful Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:00 pm    Post subject: 1972 Vw BayWindow/ Sunshine :) Reply with quote

Thanks! There is much work to do, But not scared to tackle whats needed to be done! I am pretty Mechanically savoy and feel that working on this VW Bus will be a very fun Project as well as a learning curve. So please any tips and tricks about building the best motor for longevity with enough torque to pull a small load. I figure not having the poptop shaves some of the camper weight to still have pulling power for a small boat? any objections? I have already disassembled the motor after finally finding the time to do so, Will have pics up of that shortly. Was amazed the engine ran when we picked it up, put a couple hundred miles on it before parked!! Just goes to show how much of a beating these type 4s can take.

KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: 1972 Vw BayWindow/ Sunshine :) Reply with quote

Greatful Bus wrote:
here is the current fuel injection parts i have for the L jetronic system.
Intake runners, 4 injectors, and a cold start valve.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.
But there are lots more parts needed for a running FI...

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=670338&highlight=fuel+injection+list
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Grateful Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:47 pm    Post subject: 1972 Vw BayWindow/ Sunshine :) Reply with quote

Here is the current fuel injection parts We have for the L jetronic system.
Intake runners, 4 injectors, and a cold start valve

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

When we discovered Disc brakes up front upon getting new tires Hankook Vantra 205/75/14. The Factory rated tire for the bus was the R08 from Hankook these are discontinued and "new ones" are actually old production just not actually used yet. So the rubber is not as soft as a "brand new" tire, R18s from Hankook stock recommendation for the vanagon are still in production today so that's the choice we went with!

And after the Tires were put on check it out! Tires made a huge difference in the Ride Stability,Here's what Sunshine looked like with new tires.

Did a compression Test results were

first spark plug change

installed an Inverter to play Xbox and charge phone solar panels soon

First camping trip in the bus Smile was a wonderful weekend

Last edited by Grateful Bus on Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 1972 Vw BayWindow/ Sunshine :) Reply with quote

Welcome!
Not a bad looking bus, lots of potential if that blue paint isn't hiding big mud pies.
You'll likely want to gut that thing to evict the mice and other critters, some of those interior panels look pretty good, consider passing them on to an OG parts fanatic opposed to just throwing them out.
Sink/icebox units show up in the classifieds now and then, prepare to pay handsomely for a nice one. I hope you kept the old one for patterns, a local cabinet maker rebuilding it may be your best option.
Since it sounds like you are going custom anyways keep in mind that sink/icebox is a pain in the nuts when opening the door and getting in or out, many leave it out and use a portable cooler that can be moved easily (yet secured when travelling) in it's place.
The cushion foam can be found at any foam or upholstery shop, the vinyl is available from a few vendors, but cloth is much more comfortable to sleep on and far quieter.
Any type 4 can be converted to FI, you'll have to add a return nipple to your fuel tank (looks like it has to come out anyways), and a bracket from a later donor bus to support the air cleaner/AFM unit. If you lack advanced mechanical skills the FI is a better choice, anyone who can use a volt meter, fuel pressure gauge and read can fix it.

No doubt you have already found the FAQ's at the top of this forums index page, all sorts of stuff about tires, fuel lines and oil strainer nuts you need to know there.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Grateful Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 1972 Vw BayWindow/ Sunshine :) Reply with quote

Here is the interior of the westfalia weekender I got ahold of! A buddy of mine got an old westy and wanted to go a different route with his build, Thankfully I was able to keep this interior in decent enough shape to transfer over once my bus is ready, But as stated earlier I am still searching for a Icebox Mini fridge/Sink combo for behind the passenger seat as the one in the pics was trashed by mice and wasps and water rot and wasn't able to be saved. Also need the rear cushion for the bed. If you can point me in the right direction in the classifieds or wherever to acquire some of these things I am looking for would be very gracious !!

Grateful Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 1972 Vw BayWindow/ Sunshine :) Reply with quote

Grateful Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:53 pm    Post subject: 1972 Vw BayWindow/ Sunshine :) Keep on Truckin' , Grateful Bus Reply with quote

VW Logo Teal Bay Bus Cool

So we acquired a wonderful VW Bus last November 2017. Traded our 20 ft Procraft Fish/Ski Boat to a wonderful couple. Well we are finally getting around to being able to start bringing this bus back to Life!!

Sunshine is a 1972 VW Transporter Custom Deluxe 9 Seater from the factory. The Second owner used the bus to travel a lot so converted the interior to a home made camper. We are the 4th Owner. Still have the middle full bench in Practically New Shape as it was removed early in the buses life has ash tray built in to rear for third row seating. Will probably sell it, As well as the current camper interior to a fellow VW enthusiast as it is in great usable condition could use some stain though, We would love to do that for the purpose knowing the furniture will be continued to be used. As it is a solid and comfortable interior, Just not for multiple people sleeping inside... I am preparing for Travelling in my VW Bus with my girlfriend and our dog so the single bed interior that is currently in it is unsuitable.We have a 72 Westfalia weekender interior to switch over to minus the Icebox/Sink combo, so if you know of one id be very Grateful Smile.

Anyways back to my main reason for this post currently other than just being able to talk and share with the community, Sunshine has a Type 4 engine that is believed to be a 1700cc currently in our Bus with a single Weber progressive set up. Have not been able to identify the engine code. only letter that has been made A. We would like to be able to use a Bosch L-Jetronic fuel injection system on our bus if possible. Currently only have the intake runners and 4 injectors for the system. and the difficulty to find affordable injection system parts to do the conversion might make that more of a long term project. So we think probably going to be using Dual carbs due to shortage of parts unless anyone knows of where to find the missing parts I do not have...So for the mean time We are doing a rebuild on the engine, Gonna freshen up all the bearings, and seals. and not decided what kind of build we should do. Was thinking about leaving the stock 66mm crankshaft and using 94mm piston/cylinder combination as from my understanding that should be a over square motor and last longer? Or will just using the 71mm crankshaft from a 2.0 and 94mm pistons be the way to go?
We have not decided Between the Dual Weber ICTs,
Dual Weber 40 IDF, or the Dual stock replacement Solex 34s. as i do not want to continue on with the Progressive Weber Carburetor setup. they cause the type 4 motor to run lean from my understanding? again correct me if i'm wrong as we are new to the Vw World, and run hot. both of which are very deadly to an air cooled engine.
We need this bus to be able to pull Our 1974 Starcraft Kingfisher aluminum 14 ft Boat to the lake Smile the hull empty weighs 350 lbs and that is without the motor that weighs an additional 200 lbs the overall weight of the boat loaded Estimated to be around 700 lbs max loaded with all fishing gear and everything. and again that is More than we'd probably ever carry. Need to find a suitable Hitch with a 2 inch ball to pull The little red boat, as well as find a Tow bar for Sunshine for if we ever broke down or whatever that could stow in the roof rack.

So Samba Community lay it on us. let us know what we should and should not use, and why? Smile

We've been reading a few forums for awhile since prior to owning the Bus
and finally decided to get active in the community and ask questions find answers and share Our wonderful Bus and the Project we have instore!!
Again any advice will be greatly appreciated, and if you have any questions for us as well about the project feel free to chime in Smile

Last edited by Grateful Bus on Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:55 am; edited 8 times in total
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: