Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts  See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Shift rod bushing question
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
hiwaycallin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 5:28 pm    Post subject: Shift rod bushing question Reply with quote

Does this ...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Go in here ... ?

asiab3
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Shift rod bushing question Reply with quote

Yep. The cleaner the shift rod and bushing holster are, the longer the bushing will last (so clean well!) SuperLube makes a clear grease that works really well on those. New bushings on the market donít seem to last very long in the presence of petroleum-based grease, though itís better than nothing.

I bet the shifter handle ball and socket could use a good cleaning too.

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hiwaycallin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Shift rod bushing question Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips! I guess I will need to take apart the coupler that's a little ways down the shift rod to install this, right?
asiab3
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Shift rod bushing question Reply with quote

hiwaycallin wrote:
Thanks for the tips! I guess I will need to take apart the coupler that's a little ways down the shift rod to install this, right?

Correct.

Here are some words:
Transaxle in first.

Cut the safety wire if itís a square head bolt (there is safety wire, RIGHT?) and get the grub screw out of the foreword shift coupler (near the beam.) Clean it and set it aside.

Hit the coupler joint with PB blaster if it looks antiquated.

Shift normally into ďsecond.Ē If youíre lucky, the transaxle will stay in first and you will have disconnected the shift rods with minimal effort.

Adjust the reverse lockout plate normally once everything is cleaned and greased, but you can leave the transaxle in first gear instead of the Bentley-prescribed second gear. 90% of the time it will be perfect anyway, once in a while it will get you so close that you can easily shift into second to repeat the adjustment.

ó

I avoid guessing what gear Iím in, and leaving the transaxle in first is both consistent AND easier to separate the shift rods.

Good luck,
Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hiwaycallin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Shift rod bushing question Reply with quote

That all went perfectly smoothly. Thanks again for all the tips. As for the remaining bushings in the kit, are these all for when the transmission is out? Mine's a '78 btw.

asiab3
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Shift rod bushing question Reply with quote

The two on the left are the central bushings for when the transaxle is out.

Then comes the late bug bushing followed by the early bay bushing. The black one on the right? No idea.
Robbie
aerosurfer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: Shift rod bushing question Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
The two on the left are the central bushings for when the transaxle is out.

Then comes the late bug bushing followed by the early bay bushing. The black one on the right? No idea.
Robbie

Was gonna say the black one for the early style front shift bushing, but then came across this...

77 Westy 2.0L Rockin and Rolling Resto!

72 Sportsmobile (sold)
79 Tran$porter... Parts car money machine (gone)
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Shift rod bushing question Reply with quote

the originals usually work better than the aftermarket replacements on those central shuttlecocks.

*You can do it right the first time, or do it over, the choice is yours. It is a free country. As to brakes, steering, tires, axles etc. - you may only get one chance at doing those right.

It isn't our fault you bought a 50-year old toy you can't afford. None of us can afford it really. Even Steve Jobs had to sell his bus to make his financial life work.

1971 (sold)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Shift rod bushing question Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
the originals usually work better than the aftermarket replacements on those central shuttlecocks.

Totally agree.

A suggestion to the OP as well. Clean that tube and shift rod clean and smooth. Then, be generous with whatever grease you choose inside the tube. I wasn't and paid for it with those shuttlecocks squeaking when I changed gears. I fixed it now though.

**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**

**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**

My 1970 bus refresh thread- http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=598191

1970 Westfalia Bus
1969 Convertible Bug
1967 Standard Bug
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: