Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rattling/ knocking noise only when clutch is out
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
thatbaldwinlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:36 pm    Post subject: Rattling/ knocking noise only when clutch is out Reply with quote

Hoping you guys can shed some light on this.
1987 2.2L WBX with 4 speed tranny.

At idle (more so when the engine is warm) clutch out (not pushed in) I hear what sounds like a rattle or low rumble from back by the engine. If I push the clutch in, noise goes completely away.

Last year I had the engine rebuilt by Rocky Jennings and he replaced the bearing in flywheel and when I put the motor in, I replaced the clutch, pressure plate and throwout bearing with parts from GoWesty.

I was assuming it was the mainshaft bearing in the tranny as the van has 245K miles on it and I knew the tranny was opened up before but just found a receipt from the PO that shows at 213K miles he had the tranny worked on and the mainshaft bearing was replaced along with other parts. The entire rebuild was only $1200 though and Sonoma VW and Import did the work.

I was just about to pull the tranny and drive it down to German Transaxle for a rebuild but now I am not sure it is money well spent.

I think I'm gonna drop the tranny and look at what I see. The tranny is a bit hard to get into 2nd gear at times and kinda whiney in 2nd as well.

Thoughts?
Thanks!
nate
That Baldwin Life YouTube Channel

Last edited by thatbaldwinlife on Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Yellow Rabbit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Rattling noise only when clutch is out Reply with quote

I had something similar once. It was a broken spring in the clutch disk.
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Rattling noise only when clutch is out Reply with quote

i can be corrected but noise in neutral is a common 'feature' of the 091/1 trans. comes from the gear clusters rattling together within the gear backlash of the input and output shaft clusters when there is no load.

my advice: "Don't worry, be happy. Drive it."

others can chime in and tell you it needs an immediate rebuild. do what makes you happy.

'87 Westy & '89 Westy both 2.1 4spd

Past projects can be found at--
www.thefixitworkshop.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
thatbaldwinlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Rattling noise only when clutch is out Reply with quote

Read this post from an earlier thread from jberger-

"A rattling sound in neutral, at idle is USUALLY the mainshaft bearing. It sits high and dry in that condition, as do 3rd and 4th gear needle bearings. Do you hear it when cold or just at operating temp? This is not necessarily a bad thing in my opinion. A truly bad main bearing whines under load with engine RPM. Depending on your engine and input shaft pulses.. you have a TDI, I would think the box would be quite noisy at idle. I found that a lumpy cam in a wbx could generate idle gear box noises while a slightly more mild cam made the noise go away.. and that is a mild mannered WBX.... YMMV"

Maybe my 2.2L RJ motor with the lumpier cam is causing the bearing or other noises? I've driven it probably 5K miles with the noise (maybe more if I didn't hear it before) so maybe I just drive it. I may drop the tranny and check the springs in the clutch though.
nate
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Rattling noise only when clutch is out Reply with quote

When you press the clutch idling in neutral, does the rattle 'spin down' to a stop? Or does it stop the instant you put pressure on the clutch pedal?

Maybe start by looking at your drain plug magnet. If a trans makes noise, and has a hairy drainplug..... that's your cue to stop driving it - which can add a lot to the repair cost.

If your transaxle magnet is "clean" then its much less to worry about.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
1988M5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Rattling noise only when clutch is out Reply with quote

Knee jerk answer as a mechanic is the throw out bearing. You can diagnose with a long screwdriver from your ear to various locations on the transaxle.

Brian
thatbaldwinlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Rattling noise only when clutch is out Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:
When you press the clutch idling in neutral, does the rattle 'spin down' to a stop? Or does it stop the instant you put pressure on the clutch pedal?

Maybe start by looking at your drain plug magnet. If a trans makes noise, and has a hairy drainplug..... that's your cue to stop driving it - which can add a lot to the repair cost.

If your transaxle magnet is "clean" then its much less to worry about.

The noise immediately stops when pushing in the clutch. I have changed out the gear oil twice in two years and the drain plug has been pretty clean.
I am using Swepco oil right now also
Nate
thatbaldwinlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Rattling noise only when clutch is out Reply with quote

And as I mentioned before, the noise is much more prevalent when the engine/tranny is warm/hot. When I first start the van in the morning, I cannot hear the noise at all. If it was not for the noise at idle, I would feel the tranny is in great shape.
nate
WestyKlaus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Rattling noise only when clutch is out Reply with quote

Does it sound like the noise I posted in this thread?
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=631033&highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
thatbaldwinlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Rattling noise only when clutch is out Reply with quote

WestyKlaus wrote:
Does it sound like the noise I posted in this thread?

No I cannot hear it when at the motor only when in the van. I may try getting the van hot and crawling under with my stethoscope to see if I can pinpoint it. That was a loud noise you had.
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Rattling noise only when clutch is out Reply with quote

Does the noise immediately stop when you take up the freeplay in the clutch pedal or do you actually need to depress the clutch pedal all the way to get the noise to stop? If it stops when you take up the freeplay and just start to apply pressure then I would assume throw out bearing.
thatbaldwinlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Rattling noise only when clutch is out Reply with quote

Good question. Now I am not sure but will drive it more tomorrow to get that answer.
Thanks for all of the suggestions so far.
thatbaldwinlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Rattling noise only when clutch is out Reply with quote

?Waldo? wrote:
Does the noise immediately stop when you take up the freeplay in the clutch pedal or do you actually need to depress the clutch pedal all the way to get the noise to stop? If it stops when you take up the freeplay and just start to apply pressure then I would assume throw out bearing.

Just got back from a drive with more info. Definitely can only hear it when the tranny is warm like driving on the highway for 15 min or more. The engine was at operating temp and the engine oil was around 190F. I cannot hear it at all while driving and besides a whine in second gear when climbing hills, the tranny seems perfectly fine.
I got under the van while idling and could hear the noise near the middle of the tranny, not anywhere near the bellhousing. Kinda under the reverse switch.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

It is more like an intermittent knocking kinda going with the lumpy idle of the WBX. If I had to describe it, it sounds like the classic "car dying in the movies" or a knocking or like a gasser dieseling after shut off. Make sense?

I am running Swepco 202 and changed it about 16 months ago and I feel like the drain plug look ok. I am going to pull the drain plug tonight and check the magnet.

The noise goes away after the clutch is completely pushed in.
nate
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Rattling noise only when clutch is out Reply with quote

Quote:

So, the input shaft must stop turning completely for the noise to subside? Partial clutch pedal pressure has no affect on the noise?

Someone mentioned earlier and this was more common with the diesel clutches, but the springs in the clutch disc would wear and start to rattle. You can't really go by where the sound is coming from because the sound could transmit down the input shaft.

Certainly you can drain the fluid and check the magnet, but if you decide to dig in further, I would really examine the clutch area before I started to disassemble the transaxle.
thatbaldwinlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Rattling noise only when clutch is out Reply with quote

MarkWard wrote:
Quote:

So, the input shaft must stop turning completely for the noise to subside? Partial clutch pedal pressure has no affect on the noise?

Someone mentioned earlier and this was more common with the diesel clutches, but the springs in the clutch disc would wear and start to rattle. You can't really go by where the sound is coming from because the sound could transmit down the input shaft.

Certainly you can drain the fluid and check the magnet, but if you decide to dig in further, I would really examine the clutch area before I started to disassemble the transaxle.

I hear you on the noise moving and the more I listened the more it is a knocking and not a rattle. It could be a spring rattle but it does not sound like that to me. Yes the clutch all the way in and I believe the input shaft is not turning when the noise goes away.

nate
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Rattling/ knocking noise only when clutch is out Reply with quote

I see you have an engine conversion. Did you change any gear sets from stock?
thatbaldwinlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Rattling/ knocking noise only when clutch is out Reply with quote

MarkWard wrote:
I see you have an engine conversion. Did you change any gear sets from stock?

No I have not done anything to the tranny besides change the oil. I have a 2.2L waterboxer though that was rebuilt a few years ago by Rocky Jennings.
nate
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Rattling/ knocking noise only when clutch is out Reply with quote

2.2 thought it was a Subaru. Anyhow, when the transmission is in neutral, and the clutch pedal is off. All 4 forward gear sets are turning at the same time, but different revolutions. If one of your gear sets has a damaged tooth, you might hear that noise. You mention 2 nd gear makes noise. That would be the suspect gear set, which unfortunately is part of the main shaft and can't be serviced except for a tear down.

So, I guess you have 2 choices. Continue to live with it or the transaxle needs to be gone through. If the tooth has been damaged, it may continue for many miles without any problem.

If a gear tooth did get damaged, the piece would have had to come from somewhere. Maybe part of the reverse gear. Sorry I don't have good news for you.
thatbaldwinlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Rattling/ knocking noise only when clutch is out Reply with quote

There is no bad news here. I went into this assuming I would just spend the money at GTA for piece of mind. Then I found the receipt showing some work was done before but I am not sure the quality of work or real extent. Trying to use all the people here who are way smarter than me on transaxles before I just go dropping $1800 on a rebuild. I am leaning towards just having it done so I know it is done and done right. Thank you so much for all of your insight so far!
nate
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Rattling/ knocking noise only when clutch is out Reply with quote

You should hear my racing transmission at idle. It sounds like a shaken coffee can half full of CV balls. Good luck with the project.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: