Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Six seater buggy build ( long term project)
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
matthewl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 11:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Six seater buggy build ( long term project) Reply with quote

We'll Sh$#.....
So today I pulled the motor and transmission so I could install the better 090 late model trans. Had to cut some of the old frame horns more but it fits really nicely. Went to install the torque converter and noticed something looks odd. Looked at the 003 and it was immediately apparent. This trans is missing the pump shaft, how or why I don't know. When I bought it it had the converter already on it, so i did not take it off to check ( wish I did now).
So now I have to find that part.

But I got the buggy out side and was able to clean under it. Then with my brothers help we got the floor off so I can weld some of the tubes on the bottom. So the day was not a total waste, just disappointed in people again as the guy I bought it from said it was running and driving before it was pulled ( not likely).
O well live and relearn.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Old trans is out

Newer trans is in

matthewl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 11:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Six seater buggy build ( long term project) Reply with quote

So I got a new pump input shaft, and installed it. Hopefully the trans will work??? Got all the tubes underneath welded fully and painted. With the help of one of the little guys I got the floor back on. Then I mounted the front seat and seatbelts for the last time hopefully lol.

matthewl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 11:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Six seater buggy build ( long term project) Reply with quote

So I got the shifter linkage hooked up, and it finds all the gears amazingly. Just got to get fluid in it and the cooler hooked up and we can see if it works.

But on a bigger note I decided to put the radiator in the very back of the car. Was originally thinking of using a jeep Cherokee rad behind the rear seat. It seems like a popular thing with the ecotec crowd, but after seeing this video there is NO WAY I would do that. Please watch the video as we can all learn something from it. It's only 1:00 long.
https://youtu.be/xB_bWMpn9xE

The young man got deep fried when the hose blow off and covered him in boiling water. He had to be airlifted to the hospital with third degree burns on his back and arms from what I have found out.

But in a more positive point, I've got some wiring started. Clearance lights are getting wired up.

unclebilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 1:26 am    Post subject: Re: Six seater buggy build ( long term project) Reply with quote

Have you thought about putting some padding on that diagonal bar right behind the front seat? It’s difficult to tell from the photos but it looks like that could cause quite the headache for your passenger(s)...
matthewl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: Six seater buggy build ( long term project) Reply with quote

Unclebilly I plan on adding padding once it is done. Still have a long way to go before I get there. The diagonal bar behind the front seat is pretty far back there in all reality because it goes at an angle. But the one behind the back seat will probably be closer.
matthewl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Six seater buggy build ( long term project) Reply with quote

Got the fuel lines all ran and connect.

Also got the fuel cell fully mounted.

matthewl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Six seater buggy build ( long term project) Reply with quote

Well first off MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!!!!
Today I got some time away from the kids and got some work done. Finally mounted the radiator ( well the mock up one at least). Made a bracket that mounts to where the rear cage would have gone so it can all be removed if it ever goes back air-cooled. It looks ok but definitely not my best work, I did not want to break out the tube notcher (would have had to move the manx and clean up lol).

Had to use the harbor freight kinker and it didn't do to bad 3 out of four bends look good.

Over all it looks ok and more importantly it is not where someone will get scolded with hot water if a hose comes off.

matthewl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Six seater buggy build ( long term project) Reply with quote

Well some axles showed up today. From my rough measurements, it looks like one thing Axle on the passenger side and the short axle from a type three full automatic on the driver's side should work. Hopefully I can try to install them this weekend.

dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Six seater buggy build ( long term project) Reply with quote

I prefer to mount the trans so the CV flanges are centered in the car. The trans housing does not so much need to be centered. Same size axle shafts is nice.

Just be sure to stamp the end of each shaft 'L' or 'R' so when you are working on the car in the future, you don't swap them. Just like torsion bars.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
matthewl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Six seater buggy build ( long term project) Reply with quote

I would have loved it if I could have got the diff centered, but those automatic have a ridiculous offset. I moved the trans over about two inches to the passenger side and the driver's side is still an inch shorter. Would have gone more but the trans would hit the trailing arm Rolling Eyes . Thanks for the tip on marking the axles. I probably will write their length on them too, that way if I need to I can order replacement one ( God knows I will forget lol).
matthewl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 10:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Six seater buggy build ( long term project) Reply with quote

So I got some time to play with the buggy. Mounted the trans cooler ( not the best one but it's what I had) and attached the hoses. Then I started on the exhaust, I wanted to use some of the stock parts if I could. To my surprise the stock Y pipe fit right under the diff and cleared the axle, so I used that as my base. Installed a "high flow" catalytic converter and the Flow master muffler that came with the engine. While I was at it I put a cheap V band in there so I can get the y pipe out if I have to.

oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 4:21 am    Post subject: Re: Six seater buggy build ( long term project) Reply with quote

I love the idea of a school bus sized sand rail for the whole family. Coming nicely too, not far from usable? Warning: kids grow up really quick...
matthewl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Six seater buggy build ( long term project) Reply with quote

oprn thanks for the kind words. Not to much farther to go for sure, just my time is not going as far as it use to. The little ones are growing fast so that's my new motivation to get it done, if I don't they won't fit in it lol.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 6:18 am    Post subject: Re: Six seater buggy build ( long term project) Reply with quote

There is only one thing that I differ in opinion on and that is the auto transmission for teaching kids to drive. There is no safer place to teach anyone to drive a stick than off road. My Dad taught us all on a small Massey Harris tractor on our oversized city lot and down the back alley, I taught our first 2 kids on a diesel Rabbit on back country roads. The second 2 learned on our sand rail on our acreage and the neighbor's pasture. This all happed long before they were of driving age so were fully competent with a stick when they started to drive on the street.

Just a side note of interest, I sent them all for proper driver training too (just because I acknowledge that I have developed some bad habits), daughter #3 requested a stick shift car for the lessons. The instructor replied that they didn't have any and beside that, HE couldn't drive one if they did!
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Six seater buggy build ( long term project) Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
matthewl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: Six seater buggy build ( long term project) Reply with quote

Lol drivers ed instructor not being able to drive a stick. We laugh now but my kids kids probably will never drive a car, drives ed will consist of how to say where you want to go in the near future.

I would have made it a stick shift car if it was not for the shifter placement. It would have been right in the way of the middle passenger seat. I know they sell the off set shifter setup but it only does like 12" would have needed closed to 24" offset. Plus this is a trail riding buggy, lots of stoping and going all day. My friends baja is fun for awhile, but going between first and second starts to become annoying after an hour or two.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 6:01 am    Post subject: Re: Six seater buggy build ( long term project) Reply with quote

Two summers ago we had to interrupt our travels to investigate a nail that was stuck in the back tire of our Buggy. At the closest tire shop in that fairly large city I got the pleasure of driving the car into the middle aged mechanic's work stall because he couldn't drive a standard.

You know driving skills in general are deteriorating when both driving instructors and mechanics cannot work a stick!!! The upside is that this may apply to car thieves too... here is for hoping!
matthewl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Six seater buggy build ( long term project) Reply with quote

Well made it run again, it's only been a year
lol.

Link

matthewl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Six seater buggy build ( long term project) Reply with quote

So I got some new to me wheels. The rears are minimum offset ( which I really wanted) with some 31x10.5 15 tires ( should help the cruising RPM's). But I learned some thing that I never knew. Those wagon wheels will NOT clear disc brakes in the front, they hit the calipers good lol. So some 1/4 wheel spacers will fix that.
Next I'm starting to make a frame for the windshield to fit in. Totally flying blind on this one as most people around here use plastic, but I want D.O.T glass. Trying to make it so the glass will be close to flush with the main tubes.

Damnit man can't win lol

Still got to make the corners, but I think is going to work.
matthewl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Six seater buggy build ( long term project) Reply with quote

PROGRESS!!!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Well first off I got the 1/4" wheels spacers and new lug bolts installed today( in retrospect I should have done studs). Then had the wife come out to the garage to help bleed the brakes. Which all led up to finally seeing if this trans will even work!
I'm glad to say it went in every gear without a problem. Moves forward and backward and has park and neutral. Now to finish up the throttle cable, battery cables and get my engine wiring harness cleaned up and maybe I can take it for a spin.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Page 8 of 11

Jump to: