Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Real Wood Dash Face
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sofia74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:43 pm    Post subject: Real Wood Dash Face Reply with quote

Rebuilding a 1974 KG coupe. A bit early but thinking about the dash face. We like wood grain and are wondering if anyone has done a real wood veneer dash. We've seen of course the wood grain dash in plastic but we'd like to choose the wood. I am worried that I wouldn't be able to work the veneer over the complex curves of the KG dash.

Anyone done this?

Have some wood working skills.

Thanks,
Matt
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Real Wood Dash Face Reply with quote

I hate wood dash, even in vintage Mercedes Benz's ...... but also having some wood skills I'd suggest veneer and a steam box. Maybe some custom forms in the shape of the dash to clamp the wood into shape.

The bummer will be that doing a "proper" wood dash requires continuous grain flow from side to side. Any screw up requires a whole fresh start.

It would take some work and you will experience a few failures along the journey.

Way too much trouble in my book but I'm interested in what you can create!

I'm going old school, welding up my 69 dash and painting it like they did in the olden days!

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rcooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Real Wood Dash Face Reply with quote

This real wood dash was made by Paul Round ↓
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

From this topic: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7574270&highlight=#7574270
Maybe send him a PM for more info → https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=372064
'69.5 Ghia convertible and
'62, '63, '65, '69 Bugs (all long gone)
Era Vulgaris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Real Wood Dash Face Reply with quote

Real wood dashes sound like a good idea in theory, like it's going to seem luxurious and elegant. But then every time I see a vintage Triumph TR, an MG TD, or a Lotus Elan, all I can think of is how agricultural and unattractive a wood dash looks in real life.
Body color painted metal is hands down the winner for the best vintage dash look. If you can't swing that, I'd stick with the stock black plastic veneer that was on 74 dashes. It really doesn't look too bad IMO.

Previously owned:
98 Porsche Boxster, silver, 2.5L -- 67 Karmann Ghia, Black, 1500sp -- 98 BMW Z3, Atlanta Blue Metallic, 2.8L I6 -- 75 Porsche 914, Laguna Blue, 2270cc -- 72 Porsche 914, Signal Orange, 1.7 FI -- 74 Karmann Ghia, Black, 1600dp -- 74 Triumph TR6 with O.D., sapphire blue
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rbsurfguy
Samba Member

Location: Fairfax, Northern Virginia Formerly Huntington Beach, SoCal

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Real Wood Dash Face Reply with quote

I personally hate the repro plastic "wood grain" replacement cover, and not really wanting to keep my dash painted, so I am looking at the 3m DI-NOC Vinyl wrap product. https://www.metrorestyling.com/Wood-Grain-Vinyl-Wrap-Film-s/1228.htm
There are also videos on youtube showing this being placed on dash's and other interior parts. I think it looks good, and if you screw up you can take it off and try something else. I know it's not for everyone, that's cool.
Jeff

See my build on The Samba at:
Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6...highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rcooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Real Wood Dash Face Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
I hate wood dash, even in vintage Mercedes Benz's

Don't know how you can say that. Mercedes had some of the coolest interiors ever back in the day...like in this '72 280SE 3.5. No plastic 'woodgrain' here either!

'69.5 Ghia convertible and
'62, '63, '65, '69 Bugs (all long gone)
rbsurfguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Real Wood Dash Face Reply with quote

Classic! Love the look in that old MB Convertible.

Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6...highlight=
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Real Wood Dash Face Reply with quote

Yes, and you’ll notice the MB has several small pieces of wood to make up the dash which is easier to get right than a single piece. The shining finish makes the timber look good and that’s hard to maintain in the harsh environment inside a car.
Nicholas
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:24 am    Post subject: Re: Real Wood Dash Face Reply with quote

Ah yes, the 280SE Convertible. Never were a lot of them around.
I worked for Mercedes during the 1970's and well into the 80's. A very famous singer (of roller skates and keys fame) had one of those, it was always a beautiful car when she picked it up and left the facility after a service and Jim had completely detailed it Laughing

Anyway........
I saw more wood problems on vehicles during those years and the replacement wood was a royal PITA to order and install.

I came to dislike wood on cars. During that time I was helping my cousin restore an old car whose body was wood (most old cars were wooden bodies) and had exposed naurally finished wood as side trim....... you think interior wood has issues? Try exterior wood!

Personal taste, I just see a lot of aggravation in such a task unless you redesign the dash to be flat instead of curved as shown in the photo above.

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
NOVA Airhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:55 am    Post subject: Re: Real Wood Dash Face Reply with quote

I personally like real wood dashes including the one on my '95 E320 vert. Go with what you like.
Sofia74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Real Wood Dash Face Reply with quote

Hey Jeff,

I checked out the 3m vinyl wrap. Might order a sample to take a closer look. Curious how real it looks but the pictures look good.

Thanks,
Matt
rbsurfguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Real Wood Dash Face Reply with quote

Hey Matt,

Yeah I did the same, I ordered a few different colors, taped them to the dash, stepped back, pretty much decided, asked my wife her opinion, yeah I know, but she actually chose two of the colors I was looking at!

I ordered a roll last week of the Birds Eye Maple and it came today. Unfortunately, they sent the Light Birds Eye! I called them and they are going to send a new roll. Now my install is delayed.

Been waiting for it so I can start putting my gauges in the dash and continue wiring........

The only downside of this is that it is only 48" wide, and I believe the dash around the curves to the end is about 52", so need to measure many times to center, and then section in the end pieces. I still think it will look better than the plastic fake wood cover.

Good luck,
Jeff

Era Vulgaris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Real Wood Dash Face Reply with quote

This is my old 74. Black textured paint on the metal. Looks similar to the black plastic veneer that came stock on 74's, but felt a lot nicer. I don't think that 72-74 ever had the fake wood veneer from the factory. I think that was only 67-71. Although you can buy it aftermarket.

Previously owned:
98 Porsche Boxster, silver, 2.5L -- 67 Karmann Ghia, Black, 1500sp -- 98 BMW Z3, Atlanta Blue Metallic, 2.8L I6 -- 75 Porsche 914, Laguna Blue, 2270cc -- 72 Porsche 914, Signal Orange, 1.7 FI -- 74 Karmann Ghia, Black, 1600dp -- 74 Triumph TR6 with O.D., sapphire blue

Last edited by Era Vulgaris on Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Real Wood Dash Face Reply with quote

nice steering wheel!
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Era Vulgaris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Real Wood Dash Face Reply with quote

c21darrel wrote:
nice steering wheel!

Thanks man! Although I sigh every time I look at it because I wish I'd kept it. OG EMPI flat 4. Going rate in 2014 when I sold the car was about $400 for one, and I figured I'd grab another at some point. Now they're 3x that, so in all reality it's probably out of the question for me to get another one.
The PO had also made that cool horn button out of an old nose badge.

Previously owned:
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Real Wood Dash Face Reply with quote

Era Vulgaris wrote:
c21darrel wrote:
nice steering wheel!

Thanks man! Although I sigh every time I look at it because I wish I'd kept it. OG EMPI NOTflat 4. Going rate in 2014 when I sold the car was about $400 for one, and I figured I'd grab another at some point. Now they're 3x that, so in all reality it's probably out of the question for me to get another one.

FIFY
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
rbsurfguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Real Wood Dash Face Reply with quote

That dash does look good. You're right, every 72-74 I saw had that black plastic and not the wood look. I remember when my Uncle bought a brand new last year, 74, Ghia convertible, bright red with black top, and it had the black dash cover. I was hooked on that car and loved cruising around the So Cal beaches with him always with the top down!

I was 11 at the time and when I finally turned 16, he still had it and I would drive it now and again, although he let get a little beat up by then, but it was still cool. Then my cousin got a hold of it and just eventually banged it all up. I was sad to see that ride go, but here I am today neck deep in putting mine together again.
Jeff

djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Real Wood Dash Face Reply with quote

As long as we are reminiscing.......

My first Ghia was a 66 with a painted dash and that one year only dash trim.

Miss that car...........

Black Dash?
Wood Grained Dash?
Nope! Not for me.

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
Era Vulgaris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Real Wood Dash Face Reply with quote

c21darrel wrote:
Era Vulgaris wrote:
c21darrel wrote:
nice steering wheel!

Thanks man! Although I sigh every time I look at it because I wish I'd kept it. OG EMPI NOTflat 4. Going rate in 2014 when I sold the car was about $400 for one, and I figured I'd grab another at some point. Now they're 3x that, so in all reality it's probably out of the question for me to get another one.

FIFY

Oh Geez! Brick wall
EMPI GT
Flat 4 makes the repro. I spend too much time looking at Ghia parts it all turns into one big mush! Laughing

Previously owned:
KGCoupe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: Real Wood Dash Face Reply with quote

Sofia74 wrote:
Hey Jeff,

I checked out the 3m vinyl wrap. Might order a sample to take a closer look. Curious how real it looks but the pictures look good.

Thanks,
Matt

Well honestly, have you ever really paid attention to just how "real" the actual wood dash pieces with 30 coats of clear laquer look on those high end German luxury cars?

They've all looked pretty damn fake to me. Smile
... at least until they develop the inevitable cracks in the laquer.

I'm all for using real wood where/when possible/practical, however I think the 3M vinyl wrap is such a good opton that it makes justifying the use of real wood a difficult proposition for most of us wood-working-challenged individuals.
Embarassed
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: