Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bad Clutch?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Bad Clutch? Reply with quote

Wow, you don’t screw around.
Igeo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Bad Clutch? Reply with quote

Your images don't work. Try uploading them to the gallery, then insert them.
Was the disk stuck? Hope you didn't go through all that for nuthin......
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Bad Clutch? Reply with quote

Am I imagining something?
It seems like only yesterday they wouldn't even change gear oil.
Now they're dropping the whole dang transmission.

Between posts.

Laughing Laughing

A good skill to have,,,, especially those who don't pay attn to gear oil condition. Or choose the wrong rebuilder cuz it's hard to "know".

Hey it's almost like the old days ! !

Exclamation ACTION on theSAMBA Exclamation

This is a great place for the Vanagon nut.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Bad Clutch? Reply with quote

Igeo wrote:
Your images don't work. Try uploading them to the gallery, then insert them.
Was the disk stuck? Hope you didn't go through all that for nuthin......

The issue isn't with the hosting site, it is the fact that they posted the hosting page address rather than the image address. IMO, the Samba gallery is worse than Imgur.
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Bad Clutch? Reply with quote

hogan029 wrote:
Thanks everyone for their response. I had some time today to pull the transmission out and check the clutch, god bless spare time.

Looks like some slippage on the KEP flywheel

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Some wearing on the flex Plate

Clutch looks good, a ton of material on it and it doesn't look contaminated from a glance.

The throw out bearing appears to have some grease on it, I will take a photo when I have some light.

The missing 18½ minutes:

hogan029
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Bad Clutch? Reply with quote

Sorry about that all, was trying to post from the airport. Everything looks pretty good.. I am thinking the throwout bearing may be the culprit. Any thoughts?
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Bad Clutch? Reply with quote

Maybe a broken clutch fork? You should be able to feel that with your foot on the clutch pedal.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
hogan029
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Bad Clutch? Reply with quote

Got the throwout bearing out and it looks just fine. Going to replace the rear main and seal the other openings while I'm in there.

I cycled through the gears with the trans removed and it seems to be just fine. Also checked fluid level and changed it while it's out.

I am beginning to think it may just be a rod adjustment or something simple. Any thoughts?
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Bad Clutch? Reply with quote

My main thought is that your detailed description/answer for each of the questions that different folks have asked in this thread would have had the diagnosis nailed down a couple days ago and possibly without pulling the transmission/clutch. Going back through the thread and reading the responses people have already posted and addressing each question that you can answer would be step one.
hogan029
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: Bad Clutch? Reply with quote

Agreed. Through the process I noticed my rear main leaking so I needed to address the possible contamination.
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: Bad Clutch? Reply with quote

Ok, now at this point, if you had taken the time to answer the questions asked of you, the knowledgeable folks on this board who have been trying to help you would be able to definitively inform you whether you could confidently reinstall the current trans (after the seal replacement) or they would be able to tell you that the trans needs to be addressed internally first. Now you will need to reinstall the trans just to find out. Hopefully it works out for you that it doesn't need to come right back out for trans work.
hogan029
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: Bad Clutch? Reply with quote

Thanks.
So I popped the trans open today while it was out . No signs of contamination, wear or otherwise. Did a complete reseal on the trans while it was out to make sure. Even that 3-4 slider was looking good!

Back together we go!
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: Bad Clutch? Reply with quote

Quote:
So I popped the trans open today while it was out

Interesting choice of words.
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: Bad Clutch? Reply with quote

MarkWard wrote:
Quote:
So I popped the trans open today while it was out

Interesting choice of words.

I guess its time to pop it back together then! Wink

This whole Samba query has been odd.
Like the doctor asking the patient for help.

hogan029
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Bad Clutch? Reply with quote

Bad baked beans? ... Well I got it back mated and will have to wait awhile to do the rest.. have to go for man surgery tomorrow lol better take it easy!
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Bad Clutch? Reply with quote

I haven't read all the posts but had a very similar sound last fall. It was accompanied by a vibration in the pedal, I'd best describe the sound as "whirring."

We'd had a clutch replaced with a main seal leak repair, but the slave was never bled, the fluid was filthy and had new air in it, and it warped the clutch and/or plate quickly (like before I even test drove it).

In our case, the depressed pedal was not fully disengaging the clutch. If I pumped the pedal several times, it would work nearly like normal. The whirring sound came and went, though, likely dependent on fluid pressure.

— Colin Chapman
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: