Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

FlannelShirtGuys 1970 Build Log
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
FlannelShirtGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:04 pm    Post subject: FlannelShirtGuys 1970 Build Log Reply with quote

I recently purchased a fairly low mile (82k original) VW Beetle with all service records. I have every receipt of everything done to the car. The car is remarkably rust free (so I thought, got a surprise when I took the tarboard off the floorpans) and straight. Original paint is original so old and subjected to 50 years of Oregon weather.

Here’s how it looked the day a I got it:

Link

I am planning on doing the following but I am open to suggestions:

New Wolfsburg West floorpans
    Strip and paint interior diamond blue
    Add full sound deadener to interior
    New full wiring harness and convert to ATO blade fuses
    Remove and fill holes in dashboard and get vents from Europe
    Convert to disc brakes front and back with stainless brake lines
    Turn torsion bars in the back
    Drop spindles
    New bushings and rubber on entire chassis
    Upol Raptor entire chassis and wheel wells and inside of fenders
    New black vinyl interior
    Install passenger side mirror
    Rebuild engine or upgrade to larger displacement
    Considering converting to “doghouse style cooler and tins”
    Bosch 009 Screamer kit and new wires
    Rebuild generator or convert to alternator
    New seals and body rubber everywhere
    Empi reverse lockout shifter
    Convert lights to 68 style because the 70 are ugly
    Possibly convert to earlier bumpers
    New exhaust and hopefully a oil pump compatible with that style that takes a spin on filter
    Roof rack
    Repaint Diamond Blue on exterior in single stage

The good news is everything works ( except my generator crapped out on the way home from purchasing it) and no rust except the floorpans so I have a solid basis to start on.

Anyways, look forward to your suggestions and joining the awesome community on here!

Last edited by FlannelShirtGuy on Sat Apr 20, 2019 7:09 am; edited 2 times in total
FlannelShirtGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: FlannelShirtGuys 1970 Full Fendered Adventure Bug Build Log Reply with quote

Started by stripping down the car. Took out the entire interior and started taking the tarboard off the floors. Got the drivers side all done and cleaned up.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Got started on the passenger side and got a nasty surprise! Tapped it with a hammer and it went to hell so I have decided to just pull the body and get new floorpans from Wolfsburg West. I was super excited when the battery area came out nice but was letdown later haha. That’s life!

Decided to quit wasting my time with the floorpans and move onto removing the headliner and carpet glue. Got tired of trying to Goof Off it so I purchased a 3M paint stripper disc and went to town. Got most of the roof and back half done with one disc! Wife came home and yelled at me for breathing that crap in and made me get a nice respirator so called it a day and will go back at it onboard Monday. I plan on priming and painting the inside satin black and covering everything in sound deadener.

Also was staring on pulling the engine and found this cable wasn’t hooked up. I honestly have no idea what it is (choke maybe)?

Keithinky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: FlannelShirtGuys 1970 Full Fendered Adventure Bug Build Log Reply with quote

Good looking bug. Have fun with it.
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: FlannelShirtGuys 1970 Full Fendered Adventure Bug Build Log Reply with quote

Congratulations on a nice find! You will get some good feedback from some very knowledgeable folks in the off road forum of this Samba. The bus trans, fox shocks, etc. All the off road modifications, are the subject of much experience in that section.

In the meantime... Good luck with those pans! Smile
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: FlannelShirtGuys 1970 Full Fendered Adventure Bug Build Log Reply with quote

Here’s how I go about building a ball joint beam to withstand a beating.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=691306

And my newest project that also starts with reinforcing the beam.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=717191

Personally, I’d suggest patching those pans. The original pans are much thicker that the replacements will be.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:20 pm    Post subject: Re: FlannelShirtGuys 1970 Full Fendered Adventure Bug Build Log Reply with quote

Mostly surface rust on those pans. I’d simply cut out and patch the rust through area. I don’t see a need for doing the entire pan.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: FlannelShirtGuys 1970 Full Fendered Adventure Bug Build Log Reply with quote

My guess is that is the cable going to the original factory oil bath air cleaner. The AC has an air flap inside the housing that is connected to the engine thermostat air flap mechanism with that cable. Here's a shot of the arm on the cooling air flap/shutter where the other end of the cable attaches.
FlannelShirtGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: FlannelShirtGuys 1970 Full Fendered Adventure Bug Build Log Reply with quote

Got the seats tore down and painted today. Managed to save the top closed cell foam for the neckrest areas. I hate sisal padding (it makes a mess) so I will be replacing it all with closed cell foam padding when’s i get the interior kit. Degreased with purple power and pressure washed then painted with satin black rust preventative paint as a preventative measure.

Did a lot more cleaning up for the inside and removing paint. I decided to leave the factory seam sealer as I don’t think i could do a better job myself.

FlannelShirtGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: FlannelShirtGuys 1970 Full Fendered Adventure Bug Build Log Reply with quote

Tim Donahoe wrote:
Mostly surface rust on those pans. I’d simply cut out and patch the rust through area. I don’t see a need for doing the entire pan.

Tim

Tim, it was flaking off on the passenger side and holes all the way through. I figure I just don’t want to have to do it in five or six years down the road so might as well do it now. Besides I wasn’t going to do a body off restoration until i ran into this so gives me an excuse to do it. This is mostly a hobby for me, gives me something to do. Honestly it feels like aluminum foil thin and when I stepped on it cleaning today my foot went through.
FlannelShirtGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: FlannelShirtGuys 1970 Build Log Reply with quote

Continued to work on stripping the pain inside and on the outside when I have to take a break from being cramped up in the back. Also drilled out a broken off running board bolt while I was at it.

VengeanceASX
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: FlannelShirtGuys 1970 Build Log Reply with quote

Quote:
Wife came home and yelled at me for breathing that crap in and made me get a nice respirator so called it a day and will go back at it onboard Monday.

I laughed when I read that. Not talking I've been there myself. Nice work so far!
FlannelShirtGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: FlannelShirtGuys 1970 Build Log Reply with quote

Progress video after one week

Link
FlannelShirtGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: FlannelShirtGuys 1970 Build Log Reply with quote

VengeanceASX wrote:
Quote:
Wife came home and yelled at me for breathing that crap in and made me get a nice respirator so called it a day and will go back at it onboard Monday.

I laughed when I read that. Not talking I've been there myself. Nice work so far!

Laughing thanks! The wife is a doctor so she worries about me using chemicals and whatnot (I was a mechanic for a decade so I know which ones work) so she makes me try crappy environmentally friendly stuff first that makes more work for me. That’s why this week has been slow going.
FlannelShirtGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 7:18 pm    Post subject: Re: FlannelShirtGuys 1970 Build Log Reply with quote

Link

Day 15 update. More stripping of panels, removing glass and gas tank and starting to tear into the dash. Decided to go with drop spindles and disc brakes, and to weld the holes in the metal dash to make it like a pre68. Still waiting on floorpans to arrive. Removed the evaporation system to simplify the engine bay.
Keithinky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: FlannelShirtGuys 1970 Build Log Reply with quote

Looking good. I’m restoring a 70 too. Have fun.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: