Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New girl here! Help me convince husband on a Eurovan
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Genwills
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 7:06 am    Post subject: New girl here! Help me convince husband on a Eurovan Reply with quote

I have my husband halfway on board but he needs some encouragement. We are and family of 5, 3 kiddos under 8. I’m planning a road trip to S CA from OR this summer for kids and I. We have 2 vehicles atm (me and kiddos are crammed in a Ford Escape) and will replace his with a eurovan weekender Which will be my “dd”

https://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/cto/d/portland-1999-vw-eurovan-weekender/6861572888.html

Considering this one. Thoughts?
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: New girl here! Help me convince husband on a eurovan. Reply with quote

If indeed the engine and trans were recently rebuilt, then that's probably a really decent deal. We wish we had bought a Weekender back when our two kids were the ages you're describing. I would strongly recommend some kind of rear cargo carrier, as a full family can fill up the interior with a lot of stuff real quick. An awning is also highly suggested.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: New girl here! Help me convince husband on a eurovan. Reply with quote

Find out who did the engine and trans rebuild, realize that any warranty in these will not transfer to you,

It should start , run, shift perfectly or you need to budget 5 k to refurbish
IdeaNerd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: New girl here! Help me convince husband on a eurovan. Reply with quote

We bought our first one up in Oregon, and drove it down to California. We liked it so much we bought another one the following year. Smile

That price seems very reasonable to me if the rebuilds are, as @Abscate notes, done by reputable firms, and all seems solid and positive during test drive.

Your kids are at a great age for it, IMO. I still have very fond memories of road trips and camping trips we took as family when I was a kid (in late-60s / mid-70s T2s, and later, a T3). You don't get a second chance to create those times together.

If you buy it and end up for some reason not liking it, assuming no major mechanical rebuilds during your ownership (see caveat above), you could buy it, take a few camping trips and your OR -> CA road trip, and likely sell it this fall or next spring for at least the same ballpark dollars without much financial loss.

Plus, you if you drive down Highway One, you get to have nice picnics and hang-out times on the cliffs without the wind driving you crazy. Smile

If you do buy this one or another Weekender, two suggestions:

1) Check out some of the posts here where folks have made an extra sleeping bed for little ones up front (above the front seats) or in back (over the rear bed when unfolded). With three kids, that might prove handy.

2) Take a few weekend camping trips first, before your long road trip, to work out the kinks of camping / setup, figuring out who does what, etc. You'll be happier for it.

Best of luck to you! Let us know how it goes, and what you end up doing.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Genwills
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: New girl here! Help me convince husband on a eurovan. Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
If indeed the engine and trans were recently rebuilt, then that's probably a really decent deal. We wish we had bought a Weekender back when our two kids were the ages you're describing. I would strongly recommend some kind of rear cargo carrier, as a full family can fill up the interior with a lot of stuff real quick. An awning is also highly suggested.

good idea on the cargo carrier! thanks for responding any tid-bits are well received!
Genwills
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: New girl here! Help me convince husband on a eurovan. Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Find out who did the engine and trans rebuild, realize that any warranty in these will not transfer to you,

this is expert level advice, Thank you! Is there anything I should listen for specifically when we test drive tomorrow?
Genwills
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: New girl here! Help me convince husband on a eurovan. Reply with quote

IdeaNerd wrote:
We bought our first one up in Oregon, and drove it down to California. We liked it so much we bought another one the following year. Smile

That price seems very reasonable to me if the rebuilds are, as @Abscate notes, done by reputable firms, and all seems solid and positive during test drive.

Your kids are at a great age for it, IMO. I still have very fond memories of road trips and camping trips we took as family when I was a kid (in late-60s / mid-70s T2s, and later, a T3). You don't get a second chance to create those times together.

If you buy it and end up for some reason not liking it, assuming no major mechanical rebuilds during your ownership (see caveat above), you could buy it, take a few camping trips and your OR -> CA road trip, and likely sell it this fall or next spring for at least the same ballpark dollars without much financial loss.

Plus, you if you drive down Highway One, you get to have nice picnics and hang-out times on the cliffs without the wind driving you crazy. Smile

1) Check out some of the posts here where folks have made an extra sleeping bed for little ones up front (above the front seats) or in back (over the rear bed when unfolded). With three kids, that might prove handy.

2) Take a few weekend camping trips first, before your long road trip, to work out the kinks of camping / setup, figuring out who does what, etc. You'll be happier for it.

YES YES YES hwy 1 it is! and great point about the resale option. what would you do differently/the same when purchasing your first Eurovan if you could?
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: New girl here! Help me convince husband on a eurovan. Reply with quote

Genwills wrote:
Abscate wrote:

this is expert level advice, Thank you! Is there anything I should listen for specifically when we test drive tomorrow?

Smooth power from idleto 70 mph

Smooth shifting, no bangs or jerks.

If all that works, get a firm agreement on a price contingent on a $500 pro pre purchase inspection , put a refundable 10% deposit down with a 21 day window to close and seal the deal.

It is priced about right so you will be closing near the ask
Genwills
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:17 pm    Post subject: Re: New girl here! Help me convince husband on a eurovan. Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Genwills wrote:
Abscate wrote:

Smooth power from idleto 70 mph

Smooth shifting, no bangs or jerks.

If all that works, get a firm agreement on a price contingent on a $500 pro pre purchase inspection , put a refundable 10% deposit down with a 21 day window to close and seal the deal.

It is priced about right so you will be closing near the ask

This is 100% info I needed to here! This Kind of wisdom is priceless thank you.
Genwills
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:20 pm    Post subject: Re: New girl here! Help me convince husband on a eurovan. Reply with quote

Can anybody recommend where to go for initial inspection?
Genwills
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:17 pm    Post subject: Re: New girl here! Help me convince husband on a eurovan. Reply with quote

IdeaNerd wrote:

Thank you for your response ..all good advice. I will keep you posted for sure! Smile
markcm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: New girl here! Help me convince husband on a eurovan. Reply with quote

These are all great recommendations from the group.

In addition and on the personal front, we did not buy our EV until our kids were about 15 and 18 years old and in hindsight buying it 10 years earlier would have been one of the best investments of our life.

Here is another EV camper with looking at

1997 VW Eurovan Winnebago Camper https://bellingham.craigslist.org/cto/d/bellingham-1997-vw-eurovan-winnebago/6859642511.html
IdeaNerd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: New girl here! Help me convince husband on a eurovan. Reply with quote

Genwills wrote:

YES YES YES hwy 1 it is! and great point about the resale option. what would you do differently/the same when purchasing your first Eurovan if you could?

I don't have any regrets about the what and how of either of our two purchases, but they were very different from each other:

The first van we bought, we bought off a used-car lot, at a price that was possibly a little higher than it could have been, but which included a recently-rebuilt transmission with a 4-year transferable warranty, and also had had the timing chain replaced at that same time. The lot had the local VW dealership do a PPI, which we were able to review w/the VW dealership service manager. That was all good, helpful, and reassuring.

Probably the only thing I would change on that would be that, generally, I think you end up with a better deal if you buy from a private party. That said, we got considerable reassurances going the route we did, and I don't think you'll generally get that same level of reassurances with a typical private party transaction.

The second van was nearly that purchase's polar opposite: I put in what I considered to be a low bid on an auction for a Weekender clear across the country, which I'd not seen in person. The seller had good feedback, and the van supposedly had a recent transmission rebuild + a relatively low-miles replaced engine. Both of those later (i.e. post-purchase) verified to be true, but I'm arguably considerably less risk-averse than most people, so I was OK just trusting the seller at bid-time based on other less-positive aspects he'd openly conveyed and proactively revealed -- i.e. he seemed believable and basically trustworthy. I also didn't really expect my low bid to win. Wink The van had some cosmetic flaws which made it less appealing as an auction apparently, though, and my wife and I were quite surprised when we found out we actually did end up with winning bid. It arrived a few weeks later on a transport truck to our house, on her birthday -- something we still chuckle about, as I wanted that second van quite a bit more than she did. Laughing

Both purchases worked out fine for us, and we use both vans quite a bit. One is currently set up more or less full-time as "camper van" and the other is more or less full-time "cargo van" -- the former giving countless enjoyable times of fun and adventure, and latter proving so useful that we plan to sell our small pickup truck soon.

All that said and shared, I would definitely consider getting a PPI done if you want to reduce your risk. I personally would either have that done by a mechanic I know and trust, or (if the van is out of town) the nearest VW dealership.

Hopefully that's helpful info. Best of luck to you! Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rcowan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: New girl here! Help me convince husband on a eurovan. Reply with quote

I've heard good things about Hillside Import or Futrell Autowerks. I'm too far away to have used them myself but friends have....

I also second building a sleeping area up front for one of the youngest to sleep. Works well.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Genwills
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: New girl here! Help me convince husband on a eurovan. Reply with quote

I just wanted to take a minute and thank ALL OF YOU! All of your reply’s. have been so helpful, and I so appreciate you taking time from your regular scheduled lives to help my family make the right decision. First van was a definite no go! On to the next!
thallihan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: New girl here! Help me convince husband on a eurovan. Reply with quote

Out of curiosity, what made it a no-go?

And did you end up purchasing a van eventually?
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 9:16 pm    Post subject: Re: New girl here! Help me convince husband on a eurovan. Reply with quote

Genwills wrote:
I just wanted to take a minute and thank ALL OF YOU! All of your reply’s. have been so helpful, and I so appreciate you taking time from your regular scheduled lives to help my family make the right decision. First van was a definite no go! On to the next!

Ps...three more kids would make the family awesome. Three more girls will make your husband a Captain In the Sea of Estrogen.
Genwills
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: New girl here! Help me convince husband on a eurovan. Reply with quote

thallihan wrote:
Out of curiosity, what made it a no-go?

And did you end up purchasing a van eventually?

condition didn't match the ad. It was beat to hell and back.
RichBenn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: New girl here! Help me convince husband on a eurovan. Reply with quote

So with your kids, maybe consider a Rialta, built on a Eurovan chassis. Much more room, still great MPG, and actually less expensive than a Eurovan. This from a Vanagon owner who was tired of the noise and lack of bathroom.

If you or your husband is 6' or taller, then maybe not. These aren't known for headroom.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 7:11 am    Post subject: Re: New girl here! Help me convince husband on a eurovan. Reply with quote

RichBenn wrote:
So with your kids, maybe consider a Rialta, built on a Eurovan chassis. Much more room, still great MPG, and actually less expensive than a Eurovan. This from a Vanagon owner who was tired of the noise and lack of bathroom.

If you or your husband is 6' or taller, then maybe not. These aren't known for headroom.

While a Rialta might be larger, they have a horrible floorplan that effectively renders it useless for anything more than a couple.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: