Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

HELP!! new metal sunroof install - some scratches on top
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 1:13 pm    Post subject: HELP!! new metal sunroof install - some scratches on top Reply with quote

Trying to wrap up a customer car (67 metal sunrood) and I am almost ready to cry. The car was "restored" by a previous owner with more hacks than I can count. One of the things on my to-do list was to install the sunroof seals (all were missing) and replace the covers on the front for the crank and cables. When removing the sunroof initially, I had scuffed it pretty bad about 1/3 of the way in from the side and in the middle third on the passeger side. Not sure how I did it, but I did. We repainted it (any idea how hard it can be do do a color match on who knows what white was used?).

Got everything together. Fixed the rear mounts (that connect the cables and raise it up. Was totally hacked and missing the small adjustment screws. Adjusted the height front and rear to where the center seems close to even with the roof in the back (but the back corners are a little low). The front adjusted perfectly and sits exactly as it should. Works fine. Rear doesnt start to raise until the front it pretty much the whole way. So it looks like the cable are adjusted correctly.

When detailing the car, we are seeing fine scratches about 1/4 to 1/3 of the way in from BOTH sides and also in about the middle third (front to back).

The scuffs will buff out, BUT what is causing them? The one thing that I am thinking is that the rear is too arched. TOTALLy open to any ideas. Want to get this wrapped up and sent back home in the next couple days.

And yeah, I did search, but may have been asking the wrong question. I have the Bentleys, looked at that the nice blue 67 that a member documented nicely and anything else I could find. HELP!
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: HELP!! new metal sunroof install - some scratches on top Reply with quote

Bump....come on PLEASE - any ideas?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
far rider Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: HELP!! new metal sunroof install - some scratches on top Reply with quote

Sorry no expert but I put new cables in my 67 and its working fine. Just to double check here are some topics in case you missed them

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=379367
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=700777
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=593744

Good luck. Sunroofs test everyones patience

Contentment; when what you have is what you want.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwoldbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 7:57 pm    Post subject: Re: HELP!! new metal sunroof install - some scratches on top Reply with quote

Are there a couple pictures .
Sloop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: HELP!! new metal sunroof install - some scratches on top Reply with quote

The metal guides the cables ride in have plastic posts at the very rear of them that insert into two holes at the rear of the roof gap. After 50 years they will be brittle and are easily broken. If they are broken the roof will not align properly when moving it back, or forward, and can raise up and cause the scratches you are seeing. It could also be related to why the rear of the sunroof is not raising entirely. I had a broken one and was able to manufacture a metal post to replace the plastic ones. I am not aware of any replacement posts being sold. Bad news is you have to pull out the entire sunroof assembly to replace or fix them.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:48 am    Post subject: Re: HELP!! new metal sunroof install - some scratches on top Reply with quote

The plastic tips are where they are supposed to be. Lowering the front adjustments have helped, but the rear sliders/cables are being replaced as soon as they show up from Wolfsburg West. I am going to do what I should have done, which is just totally tear down, clean and rebuilt the sunroof mechanism. Assuming normal bearing grease for the cables/track? Do you use and kind of lube for the headliner insert in the tracks?

Thanks
Sloop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: HELP!! new metal sunroof install - some scratches on top Reply with quote

I didn't use any lube on the cable or where the headliner slides. Just cleaned them both up well.
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 2:40 pm    Post subject: Re: HELP!! new metal sunroof install - some scratches on top Reply with quote

done and all good - fogot to update. Lowered the front screws..
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: HELP!! new metal sunroof install - some scratches on top Reply with quote

I used silicon paste to lube the cable and gear up with. It not only lubes but protects the cable and other steel parts from oxidation. Works great!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Amazon has it.

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 7:02 pm    Post subject: Re: HELP!! new metal sunroof install - some scratches on top Reply with quote

I used moly grease per the Bentley, but its ugly and messy. Will look for that paste for the next one (which is sitting in the parking lot now) Thanks for the tip. Just placed and order..
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: