Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Just Venting About Sh*t Parts
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
wcdennis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Just Venting About Sh*t Parts Reply with quote

I'm thinking what we are actually seeing are counterfeit parts that get mixed in with good parts, so that it becomes hard to know what source is reliable.

If one of our vendors would offer a service to pre inspect parts, like joints, bushings and bearings, I would gladly pay extra for certified quality.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Just Venting About Sh*t Parts Reply with quote

wcdennis wrote:
...If one of our vendors would offer a service to pre inspect parts, like joints,
bushings and bearings, I would gladly pay extra for certified quality.

THIS.

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>

Last edited by dhaavers on Sun Apr 21, 2019 6:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
0to60in6min
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Just Venting About Sh*t Parts Reply with quote

Quote:
If one of our vendors would offer a service to pre inspect parts

VC sent me a while ago a brake fluid cap for testing... I reported back as good as OEM...

which means VC/RMW do test their products... - how extensive? I don't know Very Happy
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 8:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Just Venting About Sh*t Parts Reply with quote

Just checking in after twelve days sans signals, and just want to say I'm glad some comments go unmoderated for being above mere poli-differences.

Sometimes we gotta discuss why things are as they are and what we might do to change bad trends.

To wit, Thanks Taboo and Dave.

So far as rubber, it's unreal how staggering advances are made in one area (race tires and rock shoes!) while crap pseudo-rubber is worse than it's been for decades (used in most all else).

We must be saps for not returning every piece of junk we buy.

— Colin Chapman
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 8:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Just Venting About Sh*t Parts Reply with quote

The old Van Cafe refused to sell me a part because he felt the products available to him weren't any good.

The new Van Cafe? I hope they do likewise.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 3:52 am    Post subject: Re: Just Venting About Sh*t Parts Reply with quote

MsTaboo is 99% on point.

Too many of us grope for the elixir of the “ lowest price” button on a website, And the market has responded by putting good parts producers out of business. People gouge on OG stuff which doesn’t help either.

Prime example of this Bosch rebuilt stuff. Talking to people in trade I learned a few years ago Bosch outsourced rebuilding overseas and the QC went to shinola. That nicely boxed Bosch starter you get from any of vendors is probably crap
the joker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 4:19 am    Post subject: Re: Just Venting About Sh*t Parts Reply with quote

they(manufactures/vendors) should all be ashamed , as we all know , money /profit, is the root of this, and of course the web's easy cheap button doesn't help.

don't even get me started about the chinese knock offs of everything!
Tbob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 4:49 am    Post subject: Re: Just Venting About Sh*t Parts Reply with quote

In whatever industry I am working in, I see the same thing, but I do lay the blame firmly at the feet of the consumer. We are the ones who make the purchasing decisions that allow those big faceless corporations to rake in their profits. So, when I click on that lowest price button, even though I think I am scoring, maybe not so much. If we handled our purchasing decisions differently, you darn bet that those big corporations would respond to rake in the profits under our new purchasing perameters. since I think it is correct that it is all about profits (and isn't it in your life, too, would you take a job that paid you less over one that paid you more if you percieved that all else was the same?) So, next purchasing decision, think about it.
I have a set of sears guardsman radials holding up one of my parts vans that are 40 years old, Still supple, crack free. I probabaly would not drive on them, but-----? The latest tires (well, second latest) set I bought for one of my winter rigs cracked to unusability in just over 6 years. Tire manufacturer declined any sort of warranty, stating periods of inactivity(summers) as the cause. But then there are those Guardsmans-----!
Thanks, Danhoug for the lesson on pilates. I knew exercise was over rated, and potentially bad for me, and here is proof! Whay, you say, its phalates,not pilates? Pesky "h"!
1985 Westfalia, stock!
1986 Westfakia, Audi I-4 conversion
A couple of trucks and a couple of Jeeps
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: Just Venting About Sh*t Parts Reply with quote

Tbob wrote:
In whatever industry I am working in, I see the same thing, but I do lay the blame firmly at the feet of the consumer. We are the ones who make the purchasing decisions that allow those big faceless corporations to rake in their profits. So, when I click on that lowest price button, even though I think I am scoring, maybe not so much.

This.

Lower prices means lower wages, cheaper materials, shoddier quality. We've wrung out all the efficiencies and optimizations already. The only savings left are in quality.

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: Just Venting About Sh*t Parts Reply with quote

Doubling on ^^^ "This" ^^^

We the buyers are absolutely 100% at blame here, our dollar is our investment in what we want our world to be. Social costs far outweigh giving good money to bad people, we've been flush and we've been broke and it's just not all that (except when it is Wink ).

So far as Vanagons, I see real passion with some big parts players and they deserve us.

As long as that's alive in us all, these rigs have time. Or hoard a few bucks and buy only knockoff parts, and we are all in real trouble.

— Colin Chapman
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: Just Venting About Sh*t Parts Reply with quote

It is very discouraging when traditional high quality brands slip into the crap parade.
Bosch immediately springs to mind.
Anything NAPA you paid more for, but for a reason, it was quality.
Raybestos was the best.
Today almost any major brand is a gamble on quality.

It is amazing we don't all die from product failure on the highways today!

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: Just Venting About Sh*t Parts Reply with quote

I gotta say, with as bad of luck as we've had with mechanics at times, I can't recall a single, early failure from bad parts over our 60,000 miles so far.

But that's probably selective memory. Wink

— Colin Chapman
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Just Venting About Sh*t Parts Reply with quote

Tbob wrote:
In whatever industry I am working in, I see the same thing, but I do lay the blame firmly at the feet of the consumer. We are the ones who make the purchasing decisions that allow those big faceless corporations to rake in their profits. So, when I click on that lowest price button, even though I think I am scoring, maybe not so much.

meh....I dunno if that's 100% true, or at least blaming the consumer 100%.

if I made doodads and it cost me 8.00 a doodad but wholesale was 13.00 that means there is a 5.00 profit per doodad. everyone likes my doodads, so I sell to a reseller. that guy wants my doodads at 10.00 because he is going to buy 100,000.

next wholesaler come along, wants 200k doodads at 9.00 each. so now you have 2 resellers watering it down with an "internal" price war before it even hits the consumer.... me being the doodad maker can negotiate less for materials because now I can say "well, I'm buying 4x the plastic, so can I get a better rate"

the wholesalers did this to us...we as consumers are forced to buy what's offered to us. the only way for the mfgr to make a product is to rely on a wholesaler to re-sell it (unless it's from production floor to shelf...which isn't the case for many products)

so, I blame the middleman over the consumer. we as consumers look for the best value (cough cheapest price) so you can have an identical product from 2 different resellers and 2 different prices...

to put it another way...

woldpac was a wholesaler for shops, period. they got in bed with advanced auto, o rileys and a couple others that escape me at the moment. at any rate...they are selling to the public at or below "wholesale" accounts now....so I say fuckem and buy 99% of what I need from the dealer because that is my best chance at a successful repair

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Just Venting About Sh*t Parts Reply with quote

The whole F Volvo forum skunked me for buying OEM EVAP hoses, and one guy actually texted me to say his UROs were split ...in the box.

That isnt even an OBQ failure - he didn't even get to take it out of the box.

the Volvo hoses were 4x the price of the UROs - the rubber was thick, fit was perfect, and Ill have to replace them again in 2029.

If were on someones labor clock you can BYA I would only use OEM
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Just Venting About Sh*t Parts Reply with quote

IF only we could purchase VW dealer parts at any cost?

One nice thing about old Mercedes, they have a great older vehicle parts system. You pay for them, but you get proper fitting original quality stuff.

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
jismay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Just Venting About Sh*t Parts Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:

One nice thing about old Mercedes, they have a great older vehicle parts system. You pay for them, but you get proper fitting original quality stuff.

Dave

Old BMW Motorcycles are much the same. I can buy almost any part I need for a 1970 R75/5 straight from/via BMW. Not always the cheapest, but at least available. I really wish I could say the same about some VW parts, especially the Type3 and Type4 parts.
1989 VW Cabriolet
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
levi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Just Venting About Sh*t Parts Reply with quote

I see everything being driven by the wants, or needs, or egos, or ignorance of the consumer.
Am I wrong? I dunno, maybe.
But peoples priorities are more heavily weighted towards having the newest 1,000 $ phone than having higher quality tires that cost an extra .05 cents per day.

But Marvin McAverage out there, he doesn't even want to do an oil change, he just drives until something breaks or makes a funny noise.
He isn't fixing it himself, he just goes to a mechanic and asks "How much?", and then calls another mechanic, and whoever gives him the cheapest price, well, that's where he goes.

I believe that makes up 95% of the population or more, so that has to drive the market.

If you're running a shop you're required to cater to the ignorance of the majority, and the majority will set the bar.
The people want it done cheap because they don't even know there's a difference or what the difference is.

Does 3% of the population do their own work?
I'd guess at less, but I don't know.
And then maybe 10% of that 3%, is that how many know what they're doing?

I think every manufacturer is willing, actually forced, to accept dissatisfaction from a small percentage of the population (the percentage that understands), in exchange for a monstrous percentage of sales to the ignorant.
gonna see life my way

https://youtu.be/cSrL0BXsO40
xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Just Venting About Sh*t Parts Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:

Dave

I mentioned this in that other thread, parts from the dealer can no longer always be trusted as parts that will last. VW dealers are selling parts that are made in China! It comes in a box with all the VW/Audi emblems on it but it is the same shit that the aftermarket is selling but at about four times the price.
Try to buy an ignition coil for a V6 Passat, they'll sell you one that is made in China. It comes with a one year warranty and they typically seem to last about 13 months and costs over $300.
If I put one on my clusters car and it goes bad in just over a year, I end buying a new one and putting it on their car because I feel it should last longer that. I end up backing up the part, the dealer does nothing for me and the old coil ends up in the trash. The original coil that was on that car when it was new was made in Germany and would typically last about 10 years.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Just Venting About Sh*t Parts Reply with quote

FCP In CT has become my go to for my six car fleet,soon to be seven.

Part six are about 8% more than other portals . And the same with shipping.

They warranty all parts for life. Just packing up last quarters parts for about $500 credit
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Just Venting About Sh*t Parts Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
FCP In CT has become my go to for my six car fleet,soon to be seven.

Part six are about 8% more than other portals . And the same with shipping.

They warranty all parts for life. Just packing up last quarters parts for about $500 credit

FCP was not too far from me. they are part of the problem. they also are worldpac customers...and guess what....on some items (most) they are cheaper than my worldpacit rep can sell to me for. it's insane.

I will use them for personal cars, but not customers. xoo00oox, I feel your frustration. some Volvo shit is direct from china too. but...sometimes it's the best option.

we are on a race to the bottom....I've said that for years. reality is...now more than ever manufacturers don't want your car to last much longer than the payments. plain and simple....shit, even 2007-2008 cars are long in the tooth now...and generally cost prohibitive to keep going when catastrophe strikes.

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: