Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Torsion arm to link pin bolt. Why is one shorter?
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Troytempest69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 1:34 am    Post subject: Torsion arm to link pin bolt. Why is one shorter? Reply with quote

Just about to rebuild my front beam and noticed one of my 4 bolts is shorter, but no idea on which torsion arm it should go, or if it even matters. The parts manual lists 3 x n104511 and 1 x n104451 - the difference being 50mm bolt v 45mm bolt. The shorter bolt I have has no cotter pin, so guessing it’s been replaced at some point, so unsure whether to just buy a 50mm bolt or look for a shorter 45mm bolt. Thanks. Pete
Joey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: Torsion arm to link pin bolt. Why is one shorter? Reply with quote

The short one goes on the top on the right side with the nut side facing down. The other three the nuts are facing up....... I think. Think

‘60 Kombi - '74 Bus - '79 Panel - '65 Beetle
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hazetguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: Torsion arm to link pin bolt. Why is one shorter? Reply with quote

^^^ that's why.

right side:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

left side:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Troytempest69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Torsion arm to link pin bolt. Why is one shorter? Reply with quote

Brilliant, thank you. Interestingly the parts manual calls for 4 cotter pins, but doesn’t look like the shorter pin should have one fitted...which makes me think the bolt I have is the original.
62DoKaGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Torsion arm to link pin bolt. Why is one shorter? Reply with quote

For the record, the earlier April ‘58 manual calls for (4) at 50mm and (4) pins, nothing about one being 45mm. Anyone have any input as to why and when that one was reduced to 45mm? And did the spindles change at the same time?

I haven’t pulled my Progressive Refinements from the shelf yet, but I figured I’d try and build upon an existing thread to address the topic. Here is the link to the earlier manual: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/April...s_List.pdf

4/62 Double Cab
5/61 Panel (sold)
4/59 Single Cab (sold)
Troytempest69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 6:21 am    Post subject: Re: Torsion arm to link pin bolt. Why is one shorter? Reply with quote

Interestingly, just been reading my Bentley manual and it references cotter pins in the bottom bolts only. How strange.
don.ville Premium Member
Samba YardMan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Torsion arm to link pin bolt. Why is one shorter? Reply with quote

Maybe cotter pins are for where bolts are upside down.
If nut falls off on the top down bolts, they are less likely to fall out.

My thoughts...

67 Standard 11 window How I Keep My Bus Alive
04 Jetta TDI Page (SOLD)
01 Mexican Beetle Hello Kitty Rescue (SOLD)
29 Ford Model A Rat Rod (SOLD)
2015 Audi A8L TDI Quattro
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: