Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Power Steering Rack Leak
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Igeo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:59 am    Post subject: Power Steering Rack Leak Reply with quote

The steering rack was evidently replaced on my '87 not too long before I purchased it. It appears pretty new anyway.

It also leaks- I can hear the fluid sloshing around inside the inner tie-rod bellows on the driver side when I squeeze it.

Does the rack have to come out to replace what ever seals this (O ring?).

I guess I could just gamble on another rebuilt unit, but thought I'd throw this out incase the seal is not too bad of a job.
SCM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: Power Steering Rack Leak Reply with quote

I don't know anything about rebuilding the rack but if the old one was replaced without a good flush of the fluid pump/lines any debris in the old fluid could have trashed the new rack. So, make sure you do that after you R&R your rack.
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: Power Steering Rack Leak Reply with quote

There are quite a few threads on how to reseal/rebuild steering rack.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620480&highlight=steering++rack

The rack is removed quite quickly and on the bench you can attempt to reseal it. Bit of a learning curve.

The van I purchased for my project had a rebuillt rack in the box still. Before I connected the lines, I cleaned the resevoir and replaced the filter. I then slipped a peice of hose between the 2 lines at the rack. With the resevoir return in an old jug, I started the engine and ran a few qts of ATF through the system.

I then connected the rack lines filled the resevoir and bled the steering system. So far so good. I think its better to bleed the system with the front tires off the ground. Removes any loads while you are getting the air out. Personal preference.

Those are dust boots and should not have any fluid as you have surmised.
Igeo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: Power Steering Rack Leak Reply with quote

Thanks Mark.
I guess the first step is to drop the rack and see what I have.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: