Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rear wheel bearings: Remove and re-use original bearings?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 5:29 am    Post subject: Re: Rear wheel bearings: Remove and re-use original bearings? Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
That needle should be small enough to mail , I think?

This one? https://www.amazon.com/Dr-Lube-Grease-Stainless-In...&psc=1

The shipping charge is really high, to Czech - and then I would have to search for and buy a grease gun. However I'm up for that if necessary - probably really usefull to have that anyway.

However, just wondering if the smaller hand-powered needle would work. It is available locally here.

Any idea how long the needle needs to be? Probably 3 inches, no?

...and how much force is required to pump the grease in...?
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: Rear wheel bearings: Remove and re-use original bearings? Reply with quote

I'd give that syringe a try. There is not any real resistance to the old grease being pushed out of the bearing as far as I know. You can always do it with warm bearings if the old grease is too stiff.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: Rear wheel bearings: Remove and re-use original bearings? Reply with quote

dobryan wrote:
I'd give that syringe a try. There is not any real resistance to the old grease being pushed out of the bearing as far as I know. You can always do it with warm bearings if the old grease is too stiff.
Hey that's a good idea... although how to heat up the bearings? Can't go for a drive with the wheels off? I guess a heat gun would work.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: Rear wheel bearings: Remove and re-use original bearings? Reply with quote

In the past I have had Priority Mail packages shipped all around the world. Have someone make up a basket of parts for you and ship them in one well stuff Priority Mail package.
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: Rear wheel bearings: Remove and re-use original bearings? Reply with quote

Didn't someone drill and install grease zerk fittings in the rear housings? That seemed like a really good idea.
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: Rear wheel bearings: Remove and re-use original bearings? Reply with quote

epowell wrote:
dobryan wrote:
Hey that's a good idea... although how to heat up the bearings? Can't go for a drive with the wheels off? I guess a heat gun would work.

For sure try it out as it is, but yes a heat gun would work if heat is needed.

I think you'll be fine.

The Western Syncro build
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: Rear wheel bearings: Remove and re-use original bearings? Reply with quote

MarkWard wrote:
Didn't someone drill and install grease zerk fittings in the rear housings? That seemed like a really good idea.

If you put a zerk in you need a way to purge the grease to relieve excess grease from the housing so the seals don't get pushed out.
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: Rear wheel bearings: Remove and re-use original bearings? Reply with quote

MarkWard wrote:

The problem with zerk fittings is that when you pump in the new grease, the old grease has nowhere to escape out.
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: Rear wheel bearings: Remove and re-use original bearings? Reply with quote

Well, you don't pump the crap out of it. I recall another thread where the member was experimenting with filling the housings with gear oil. I'd have to watch a video to understand how this fire drill of greasing the inner and outer bearings with a grease needle is effective.
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: Rear wheel bearings: Remove and re-use original bearings? Reply with quote

Well I just got my needles by post... they look very sturdy, and my only consideration is that perhaps the needle itself might be too thick - it is about 3mm / 1/8" thick.... is this too thick to get into the bearings?

The needle itself is about 1 3/4" long, but the hole is 1 1/4" down the length of the needle... I wonder if this is deep enough? Maybe I can somehow block that hole with electrical tape, and make a new hole further down?

...oh sorry, it has 2 holes, one @ 1 1/4" and a second at the tip... so probably I would put a piece of tape around the needle to cover the first hole.... or on second thought - probably keeping both holes open might increase dispersion of the grease.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: Rear wheel bearings: Remove and re-use original bearings? Reply with quote

I have no clue what you might find where you are at, but I have bought needles from places specializing in tack and feed for horses.
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 2:22 am    Post subject: Re: Rear wheel bearings: Remove and re-use original bearings? Reply with quote

Here are some fotos comparing a smaller needle (2mm wide) to my needle (3mm wide)... the smaller one is known to work.

I also put a foto of an actual rear bearing and tried to estimate the gap size... looks to me like the gap is more than 3mm.

What do you guys think? Better just to order a smaller needle - rather than get started just to find I can't finish the job with this fat needle? ...or is 3mm OK?

epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:03 am    Post subject: Re: Rear wheel bearings: Remove and re-use original bearings? Reply with quote

I am just about to go out and do this needle greasing... can anyone please re-confirm for me my plan - is this the correct procedure >

1) remove 46nut

2) remove outer seal with screw driver

3) pump in new grease with needle

4) install new seal

5) replace 46nut and torque
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:23 am    Post subject: Re: Rear wheel bearings: Remove and re-use original bearings? Reply with quote

Yep.

Insert needle as far into bearing as easily possible. Pump new grease pushing old grease out. Do this in about 6 to 8 places.

The Western Syncro build
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:32 am    Post subject: Re: Rear wheel bearings: Remove and re-use original bearings? Reply with quote

[quote="dobryan"]Yep.

Insert needle as far into bearing as easily possible. Pump new grease pushing old grease out. Do this in about 6 to 8 places.[/quote

OK... and just the same kind of all-purpose grease I used on the front bearings?
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:58 am    Post subject: Re: Rear wheel bearings: Remove and re-use original bearings? Reply with quote

I use the same grease on the front and rear bearings. (I assume you are using grease labeled for wheel bearing use.)

The Western Syncro build
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:15 am    Post subject: Re: Rear wheel bearings: Remove and re-use original bearings? Reply with quote

dobryan wrote:
I use the same grease on the front and rear bearings. (I assume you are using grease labeled for wheel bearing use.)

Not sure... I'll have to look. I think it is stuff of high heat.

Did the fronts 4 years ago and still going strong.
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 4:55 am    Post subject: Re: Rear wheel bearings: Remove and re-use original bearings? Reply with quote

Should this race come out? (red arrow)?

dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:18 am    Post subject: Re: Rear wheel bearings: Remove and re-use original bearings? Reply with quote

I do not remove anything other than the seal, so I'd say leave it alone.

The Western Syncro build
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:40 am    Post subject: Re: Rear wheel bearings: Remove and re-use original bearings? Reply with quote

dobryan wrote:
I do not remove anything other than the seal, so I'd say leave it alone.

Looks like it is impossible to remove anyway. Seems it is part of the actual bearing.

My needle is overkill - too thick and won't go in more than 3/4 inch. So I went to the local pharmacy and ordered some needles. They are 4cm long, 1.5mm wide and cost about $0.04US each!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7

Jump to: