Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Sabo Main Seal Installation Trick? ["Solved"]
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Phaedrus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:58 pm    Post subject: Sabo Main Seal Installation Trick? ["Solved"] Reply with quote

So, this one is new to me. I typically use the composite main seals for all of the T4s I work on, sometimes the solid orange ones, depends on what the supplier has. I've never tried the Sabo, haven't had issues with leaks.

I was wooed by my readings to try out the Sabo main seal on my own van (1986 wbx). Normally, on every other main seal I've ever installed, a little tap tap tap with a 8oz hammer around the edge of the seal will get it to slide into the bore, easy. Drive it home with another old seal to get it to bottom. Done.

For the life of me, I could not get the Sabo seal to even want to start in the bore. A tap on one side would pop it out on the other. I tried all I could but it would not start and I ended up buggering the seal (probably still fine, but I don't like the looks of how it got a bit chewed).

Anyways, either my bore is somehow smaller than every other wbx out there, or this thing just fits suuuuper tight... What's ya'lls trick for installing? I've never had to use a seal driver, but I suppose I could purchase one for next attempt. I've read using a small piece of wood and tapping in the middle to apply even pressure can do it. At this point I'm skeptical that the seal even fits at all. It is visibly, like, <.5mm larger OD than the other ones... but, I'm probably just not doing it right. New seal is on order.

What's the secret?

Last edited by Phaedrus on Sun Apr 28, 2019 11:47 am; edited 1 time in total
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 7:20 am    Post subject: Re: Sabo Main Seal Installation Trick? Reply with quote

i have a new, buggered Sabo also. it helps to chamfer the leading edge of the seal hole make sure the seal and bore are dry and free of any oil. being dry counters conventional wisdom but otherwise the Whack-A-Mole game ensues. some rubber on the rim of the seal shaved off when it went in, i worried about the uneven rim pressure causing sealing issues but everything is fine, no leaks.

'87 Westy & '89 Westy both 2.1 4spd

Past projects can be found at--
www.thefixitworkshop.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
borninabus
Samba R&D Dept.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: Sabo Main Seal Installation Trick? Reply with quote

the SABO seals are a tight fit, that's why they work so good Wink
use a schmear of grease on the OD and don't worry about it if some of the seal gets shaved off when installing. at least i never have...
Bulli Klinik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: Sabo Main Seal Installation Trick? Reply with quote

I had a similar problem. Chamfering the edge will help it slip in.

Check about halfway down:https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...p;start=40
Colorado Springs
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Phaedrus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Sabo Main Seal Installation Trick? Reply with quote

Thank you all Cool Very helpful! Will try a chamfer and more even force.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Sabo Main Seal Installation Trick? Reply with quote

I set the seal in so it seems cocked to begin with. The one side is halfway o r more into the bore while the other side is just starting to go in. I then hit the high side of the seal at about a 45° angle. Never had a problem installing seals this way.

Last edited by Wildthings on Sat Apr 20, 2019 6:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
seventyfo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Sabo Main Seal Installation Trick? Reply with quote

Smear a couple drops of permatex aviation around the outside

"I don't know you well enough to care about your comments". Watkins Cravey
Phaedrus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: Sabo Main Seal Installation Trick? Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips, guys. Did a combo of things that led to easy success this time around: very light smear of oil around the OD, chamfered the bore, tapped in with a piece of wood large enough to apply even pressure with a 16oz hammer. Started in the position Wildthings described. It was still tight, but went in pretty easily.

I may have gone with some aviation sealer if I had had to reuse the old seal or had a different, low-quality seal, but the Sabo is plenty fat and tight as to not needing anything extra, imo.

Cheers,

Cool
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: