Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1975 Beetle Convertible Resto/Mod Build-Chop,Dash,Suicide,Shave.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 19, 20, 21  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Epilog79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2020 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: 1975 Beetle Convertible Resto/Mod Build-Chop,Dash,Suicide,Shave. Reply with quote

Congratulations are in order for the hard work on making the top frame look perfect. I really think you nailed the look. That was great fabrication. Looked like Gepetos puppetry workshop with all the strings.
Now onto the window fabrication. I look forward to seeing how you “think” your way through this challenge.....
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2020 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 1975 Beetle Convertible Resto/Mod Build-Chop,Dash,Suicide,Shave. Reply with quote

Epilog79 wrote:
Congratulations are in order for the hard work on making the top frame look perfect. I really think you nailed the look. That was great fabrication. Looked like Gepetos puppetry workshop with all the strings.
Now onto the window fabrication. I look forward to seeing how you “think” your way through this challenge.....

Agree 100%! Well stated.

Looks awesome! The top line is perfect! Like the suicide doors. Actually I like everything. Keep it going.

Tanks for dem kind words brah! 🤙🏻

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
MACJELLY58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 4:51 am    Post subject: Re: 1975 Beetle Convertible Resto/Mod Build-Chop,Dash,Suicide,Shave. Reply with quote

Thanks guys!! I had to take my time on that one. It's not as complicated as a '54 Ragtop repair, but I sure got lucky. In fact, now that I think about it, I've been really lucky during this whole build. Sure, sometimes I got thrown some curves but I was able to work around them, to at least continue down this road to ruin. Laughing

I was really expecting the complicated Geometry to go awry and leave me in a bad place. The only Hiccup that I did not anticipate was the chop in the back. When the Top is down, the frame is now protruding into the Quarter Window space. This makes the placement and removal of the Quarter Window a bit more complicated than I had planned. It now seems that I will have to open the Top halfway before I can place or remove the window because the frame is now in the way. But Hey...I can live with that!!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I found that this part of the build was very inter-related. Too many things need to be modified and then, fit together. Every time I tried to start something with the windows, I found that there was something else that needed to be fitted first or at the same time. So, that's what Imma gonna do. I'll work on everything at the same time.

I got a prototype bracket but to finish that up, I need to get a firmer window size. To get a window size, I gotta install the window frame seals. The convertible seals are complicated too!! The seals have a channel on the bottom that the mounting aluminum strip is inserted. Then screwed into the frame.

Only one of seals should be the same size, the other three will have to be modified. I started with the Windshield Post seal. Then, of course, before I can finalize that, it has to be mated with the top frame seal. Trimmed slowly, little by little while I had them just taped to the frames.

luckily, The Top seal was long enough to make it all the way without any extensions((Thanks, Chuck!!)) I did have to add lengths of the aluminum strips tough. Also, drill some new holes for the mounting. I was able to get them all in, at least for now. We'll see if it fits all together and make adjustments if it doesn't.

Next was the Quarter Window frame. I used some body weight to bend the window frame out to fit the Top Frame. I was able to get it closer. Then used some clamps to get it even closer. No cigar. I was being hopeful that I could get away with just...not so gentle bending. Relief cuts were necessary and I will have to repair them. Did I mention that the chromed frames are Brass!! No wonder they seem to have stayed in near pristine shape. I researched and found that I can Braze with the MIG...who knew. I got the Bronze alloy wire coming and I will have to switch to 100% Argon...but possible?

Here's a pic of the original vs. the modified.

I bought some 3/16" HardBoard to match the width of the window glass and cut out a template. Both for mock up and to use to cut the new glass.

Just for fun, I test fitted the "new" window in the hole. It might work!! I keep waiting for that one thing that will not work out and crash this whole foolhardy thing to the ground. Nah, I'd make it work somehow. Nothing can stop you if, you have a Hammer, vice grips, a 4" Vice and a little Hobby welder.:2gunfire:

Now, I could finally get back to the Mounting Bracket. I now knew the length for the channel to hold the window. I really wish I had the room for a Metal Brake machine. Just a small 4' one would do. But alas, back to my 4" Vice and hammer. For this "U" channel, I needed to make a form to bend the metal around. So, I welded three pieces of left over 1/8" bar together. The 3/8" channel should be able to fit the window and a seal/felt. I found some 3/8", "U" channel but it's walls were too short for me. I made these walls 1-1/4" tall to better hold the window stiff. Now, I can get back to working the Mounting hardware, as soon as, I get delivery of the two remaining seals I don't have. The "B" pillar seal between the Quarter Window and the Front Window, and the rear seal at the back of the Quarter Window. Hopefully, they'll come in soon. Merry Christmas Everybody!!

VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2020 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 1975 Beetle Convertible Resto/Mod Build-Chop,Dash,Suicide,Shave. Reply with quote

Merry Christmas!

Looking awesome! That’s cool that you Can brazed the window frame. Made
That simple. You can braze with a small flame, too. Or a regular gas welder. Both work great!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
AutoMechanic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2020 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 1975 Beetle Convertible Resto/Mod Build-Chop,Dash,Suicide,Shave. Reply with quote

Great. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fredybear
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2020 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 1975 Beetle Convertible Resto/Mod Build-Chop,Dash,Suicide,Shave. Reply with quote

MACJELLY58 wrote:
The rear apron had to be repaired on the sides that welded to the body supports. Rust had eaten through some section and I want to remove the exhaust hole for the muffler pipe. So, off it went and repair sections went in.

Closing the Tailpipe hole.

Another bubble rear, Cool
MACJELLY58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 12:37 am    Post subject: Re: 1975 Beetle Convertible Resto/Mod Build-Chop,Dash,Suicide,Shave. Reply with quote

Yes Sir, Indeed Fredy!! Bubble Bottom Cool
Nice to know there is at least one other person out there who appreciates the Bloated rear apron. Now, PLEASE... tell me you like the "Elephant's Foot" rear Tail light Embarassed
MACJELLY58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 12:37 am    Post subject: Re: 1975 Beetle Convertible Resto/Mod Build-Chop,Dash,Suicide,Shave. Reply with quote

AutoMechanic wrote:
Great. Smile

Much appreciated -Auto
MACJELLY58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 12:43 am    Post subject: Re: 1975 Beetle Convertible Resto/Mod Build-Chop,Dash,Suicide,Shave. Reply with quote

Nice to know Jimbo-

I'm such a Noob! I had to Google -"Welding Bronze" Laughing
Much like "Deciduous", I've heard the term Braze before, and I assumed it meant melting something. But, my research has opened a whole new world. You can attach different metals together, fill divots and cracks, all kinds of stuff. All news to me. I think I will like playing with that!! Very Happy

I hope my learning curve is short.
MACJELLY58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 1:17 am    Post subject: Re: 1975 Beetle Convertible Resto/Mod Build-Chop,Dash,Suicide,Shave. Reply with quote

Well, it seems I was not the only one with "VW" on his mind this Christmas Day Shame on you But, with nothing better for me to do this morning, I went back to the Bracket. Why not? Yah, I may have a problem. Cool

I did quiet work and let the neighbors kinda enjoy the Holiday. Finished up the pair of brackets. Welded on some captive nuts.

Then cut and welded the Horizontal Adjustment Bar to the "U" channel. And put it all together. Not very pretty but, it's just a prototype.

I gave it a quick test fit. This is at it's lowest point and all the way to the front of the car.

Then, all the way up. It's way too high. Even at it's lowest...still too high. I did not take into consideration the mounting holes are not at the bottom of the bracket, of course! Doh!! Embarassed
But, that's why I did the prototype. Imma going to take out maybe 1/2" to 3/4" in height from the bracket and see where it gets me.

fredybear
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2020 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 1975 Beetle Convertible Resto/Mod Build-Chop,Dash,Suicide,Shave. Reply with quote

MACJELLY58 wrote:
Yes Sir, Indeed Fredy!! Bubble Bottom Cool
Nice to know there is at least one other person out there who appreciates the Bloated rear apron. Now, PLEASE... tell me you like the "Elephant's Foot" rear Tail light Embarassed

Buggies Got Back Shocked Shocked

Kinda ugly, mine are all cracked

bruehoyt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 1975 Beetle Convertible Resto/Mod Build-Chop,Dash,Suicide,Shave. Reply with quote

WOW!!!!

Your skill level far surpasses mine.

I've had a dozen VWs. I just got my first VW vert. I found a link to your build on another thread. It is a good daily driver as is. I will go through everything to make it better.

The current major issue is the rear window frame needs repaired and glass reinstalled.

Following your build for reference thanks.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MACJELLY58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 3:05 am    Post subject: Re: 1975 Beetle Convertible Resto/Mod Build-Chop,Dash,Suicide,Shave. Reply with quote

Howzit Bruehoyt,

My skills....Ha ha ha,Ugh! This is my first Convertible as well. Much, much to learn. Just about everything I've done to this car was my first time trying. If you just try, just do it, win or loose...you gain experience. I look back at my first repairs and all I want to do rip it out and do it over. But, it's already been 6+ years since I got the car. Way over schedule. So, sometimes I just gotta live with my mistakes.

But, thanks for the encouragement. Much appreciated!! You can do it TOO! Applause
MACJELLY58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2021 1:41 am    Post subject: Re: 1975 Beetle Convertible Resto/Mod Build-Chop,Dash,Suicide,Shave. Reply with quote

Happy New Year to all!! I know, it's sad...I'm always posting on the Holidays. My life is not that exciting. Crying or Very sad

I cut down the brackets by 1". It looked a lot better. Sorry I did not take a pic, because as I was admiring the better fit and thinking about roughing in the Driver's window I saw that the Quarter Window was roughed in too far back. The front channel was supposed to be sticking out towards the Driver's window where it seals, creating a "B" pillar. like so:

I had totally forgotten that's what the "Notch" in the Quarter window channel is for. I had lined up the vertical channel with the Quarter panel. Oopps! So, I gotta readjust the Quarter window frame and then cut a new Hardboard window. Since I have to do that, I decided to mock up the Driver's window in order to better fit the two together. You know like I said, I'm taking the multi-front approach. I took some measurements and laid out the frame on the Hardboard. I made a few mistakes as you can see there are a lot of marks on the Hardboard.

Finally satisfied, I cut the "New" window out. I tried to fit the frame and noticed that I have to cut out the retaining nut out of the Vent window frame.

Then I taped the frame to the Hardboard. I will need to Braze an extension piece up there where the Vent window frame attaches to the main window frame. I'm still waiting for the Brazing wire to come in.

Test fitted the two windows....I'ts getting closer!! Wink

Now, I can try and get everything, ie..Fake windows, seals, window frames, to line up, so I can fit the '68 window Regulator.

bruehoyt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 1975 Beetle Convertible Resto/Mod Build-Chop,Dash,Suicide,Shave. Reply with quote

incredible work. I just got a 74. I will be referencing your thread.

71 Westfalia https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=633955

74 Super Beetle Convertible Sun Bug https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=748008

Past VW's:
71 Karmann Ghia Autostick. 17-21. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=727596
70 Karmann Ghia driven 00-03, 67 Karmann Ghia 91-97, 74 Karmann Ghia 92-94, 71 Karmann Ghia 87-92, 74 Super Beetle 86-87, 71 Karmann Ghia 85-86 (my avatar)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MACJELLY58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 5:39 am    Post subject: Re: 1975 Beetle Convertible Resto/Mod Build-Chop,Dash,Suicide,Shave. Reply with quote

Nope, that's not a Re-post. I cut the Top again!! While I was happy with the Chop, I was installing the rear Quarter window seal when I found that it did not line up with the Frame seal.

I tried to adjust the Frame forward to get them to line up, but no luck. I had to think about it for a day, so I would not jump in there and start cutting like a WildMan and get myself in trouble again. Alas, cutting was the only thing I could come up with....Fifth time's a charm. Rolling Eyes

So, I made this cut just to the rear of the last cuts. Still in front of the first Hinge Pin. I didn't want to mess with the last reinforced welds. After making the cuts, I could readjust the Frame forward and get the seals closer together. It looked like about 1/4" needed to be removed. I was still very afraid that I would trash all the progress I had made up to this point but, I had no choice.

I put some heavy/wide beads on the top and inside of the Frame. I will not grind these, as I decided not to reinforce this cut. The outside of the Frame needs to be ground down, as the Tensioning Cable runs along that area. The bottom also, as the window seals attach there.

I got the seals a lot closer and I was praying that I could close the Top. It was close but, I guess that works to keep it all tight.

Now, I needed to remove the Frame again to grind the bottoms where the window seals attach. This, as you can imagine is a HASSLE for one guy. What makes it more irritating is one of the mounting bolts had been stripped and Tapped to a larger bolt with an Allen head.

I've had enough of that and decided to rectify that NOW! I drilled out the threaded hole and Press fit a 8mm nut. By Press fit, of course I mean....Hammered!

Then, I ground out a moat, or channel around the nut and welded a good size puddle in there.

Cleaned it up and primed it. Then I inserted my NEW hardware. Sooo Pretty.

While the Frame was off...AGAIN, I also wanted to address the Butt Plates. They attach with teeny tiny sheet metal screws. These do a horrible job holding the Butt Plates in. My Top did not come with these Butt Plates and I can see why. After I installed my new ones, two had already fallen out. I bought some #6 Stainless Machine screws and nuts.

I figured, Stainless was the way to go. I found out later that welding Stainless to Mild Steel does not make for a "Reliable weld". I only wanted to weld the nuts to the Frame so I gave it a try.

For what I wanted the weld to do, It worked out fine. The hardest part was that the nuts are soo small!

I ground down the welds on the bottom of the frame. Because the frame was shortened, the Window seal mounting holes did not match up...again. I had to re-drill the new holes. With the original holes, the extension holes and the adjusting holes...There were a lot of holes. This gets confusing when I'm trying to mount the seals.

So, I welded up the extra holes to make my life a little simpler. Then installed all the window seals to the frame.

Alright!! I think I'm back to where I had been last week! Evil or Very Mad
I put the Frame back on the car and thought I never did check the frame with the wooden Bow. What the heck... I'll take a looksie.

I tried to remember the measurement from the engine lip to the Wooden Bow, I think it was 25" something. So, that's about where I put it. I think that looks like it will be another problem for later. Embarassed Rolling Eyes

Oh well. I went to try and get a clue about the window regulator. I did a little test fitting and positioning. I was thinking of installing the window crank lower than stock height. Just to move it farther away from the interior door handle. A mistaken door opening at speed with Suicide doors does not sound like a happy story. I did purchase the automatic door Safety Pins...but still.

Installed my wooden window to get an idea of how much room I have in the door for the installation of the Door Popper and Bear Claw Latch. It looks like there will be plenty of room for what I need to put in there.

I got confused and overwhelmed, so I thought I should just take it one thing at a time. I went back to the Quarter Window Mounting. Remember that? I got as far as making the window channel with the 16ga. It feels pretty stiff and I think that it will be just the right thickness. Until next time...

VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 1975 Beetle Convertible Resto/Mod Build-Chop,Dash,Suicide,Shave. Reply with quote

Looking good! Any more time in on it? Or did W O R K (damn 4 letter word) get in the way?

Hang loose brah!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
MACJELLY58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:41 am    Post subject: Re: 1975 Beetle Convertible Resto/Mod Build-Chop,Dash,Suicide,Shave. Reply with quote

HOWZIT, Braddah Jimbo!!

You got it right. Damned Work. Can't wait to retire and spend all day in the garage and the yard! I was also, kinda stuck with the rear Quarter Window Seal thingy. It's not quite where I want it to be. But, I think I came up with a workaround. Laughing

I'm gonna give it a try tomorrow. I'll post the results and hopefully, I can continue onward soon.

Latahs Brah Cool
MACJELLY58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 5:42 am    Post subject: Re: 1975 Beetle Convertible Resto/Mod Build-Chop,Dash,Suicide,Shave. Reply with quote

Well, work keeps calling me to come in. And of course, I say sure! It's been 13 days straight. Then I hear the left rear disc pad grinding on my Daily. Real bad. It makes people on the sidewalk turn and look. Embarassed

It's weird, it started all of a sudden and the car is only 4 years old with 36,000 miles. Finally got up early and took look at it yesterday. Yup, down to the rivets. Only about a Millimeter left of the friction pads. The other side looked like you would expect, with about 85% of the friction pads still there. I Guess the Caliper Piston is stuck and not retracting like it should.

So, I had to buy a Rotor, Pad set and a Caliper rebuild kit. Took 4 hours of BUG time away. But, the Daily is good___for now and I could get back to the Bug for a few hours today!!

As I alluded to on the last post, I was still not happy with the alignment of the the seals from the Quarter Window rear frame and the seal in the Quarter window channel.

I had did the best I could with manipulating the Convertible Frame with the last cut(shortening). The frame is a very snug fit, up at the windshield posts. The angles and slope are to my liking. So, I was at a loss as to what more I could do about it. Then, it came to me. The convertible top seals attach to a metal flashing, not the actual "working" part of the frame. I could detach the flashing and move it forward without affecting the function of the frame itself!! Aha!! I used the spot weld cutter and took out the spot welds on the inside of the flashing and cut the bottom "foot" area and scooted the flashing forward about 3/16".

I mounted the frame back on the car to make sure that it will end up where I wanted it to be. I'm no Craftsmen so, my measurements rarely work out for me. I just can't seem to measure things right. Evil or Very Mad

I put in some spot welds to keep the flashing where it needed to be and removed the frame again to weld it all up. I didn't want to finish weld it on the car because I had all the rubber seals in to get the fit right. Plus, I'm sure I would've melted them all!! Sprayed it up with primer and was eager to see what I had. Aww nuts!! Gotta get to work. The REAL job. Laughing Laughing

VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: 1975 Beetle Convertible Resto/Mod Build-Chop,Dash,Suicide,Shave. Reply with quote

Damn it! Right at the height of the situation! Never fails.

All good! You got a step further along!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 19, 20, 21  Next
Jump to:
Page 9 of 21

Jump to: