Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Outrigger design
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
swiss_bulli
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:40 am    Post subject: Outrigger design Reply with quote

I think I came across this discussion somewhen, but couldn‘t find the topic anymore. My outriggers were replaced in the past, but not really nicely, so I‘ll have to do them again. The parts from KF and Autocraft are all the same design (flat with a hole for water), but the WW one looks differently. But they have only the rear once in this embossed design.
http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=211703131

Can anybody tell me what is correct for a 67 bus? Were all 4 the same or front and rear differently? I‘d like to make it as correct as possible. Thanks!
easy e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: Outrigger design Reply with quote

The one you have linked is correct for the rear... it has the creased water drain.
The front has a hole: http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=211703125

Since you are doing outriggers... you're probably doing jack points.
The closest to original looking aftermarket jack points are VW Brasil.
They have the extra vertical pressing on the side that was introduced on May 18, 1965.
Read this thread about the
late jack points

Stay away from the jack points that are thin... and have spot welded flanges at the lifting plate and attachment to the "U" shaped piece.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The VW Brasil jack points have a slightly thinner lifting plate than original and are missing a few die cut notches, and they have an extra bar welded to the lower surface.

If you replace the flat lifting surface and grind off the bar... they'd be pretty much indistinguishable from original. They have sharper bends on top and welds (instead of spot welds).

https://en.hoffmann-speedster.com/bus/bus-t1/repai...ront-right
https://en.hoffmann-speedster.com/bus/bus-t1/repai...front-left

I didn't find a link to the Brazilian rears for you.
Culito

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Outrigger design Reply with quote

In my experience the WW outriggers (which are actually Autocraft) are much nicer and beefier than KF.
johnnypan wrote:
...dont pay no attention to Culito,he's a cornhole..
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mdege
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Outrigger design Reply with quote

Unfortunately the Hoffmann Speedster Jackpoints I got ended up being the Brazil junk. I gave them back and payed almost twice the amount for decent ones from BUS-OK.

1965 21F: Restoration of a former '65 firetruck
1963 Typ3 Notchback project
1988 Multivan Magnum 112i
1984 Standard: My son wanted a bug for his first car
easy e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Outrigger design Reply with quote

mdege wrote:
Unfortunately the Hoffmann Speedster Jackpoints I got ended up being the Brazil junk. I gave them back and payed almost twice the amount for decent ones from BUS-OK.
There’s definitely good and bad stuff from Brazil. VWdoB is better than random Brazilian aftermarket. The orange jack points... and the spot welded ones are junk.
swiss_bulli
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 3:29 am    Post subject: Re: Outrigger design Reply with quote

Michael, I should have listened to your experience. That is what they delivered to me.

And I figured out, that other shops with the correctly pictured Brazilian part, actually do sell other stuff instead of the pictured one...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: