Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Mexican Bellhousing input shaft
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:40 am    Post subject: Mexican Bellhousing input shaft Reply with quote

Have a vanagon with an engine conversion in the shop that appears to have a Mexican upright bellhousing for an inline engine. The input shaft pilot bearing was wiped out and the input shaft end is galled badly.

Eurospec/Overland parts seems to have closed up. Looking for a replacement input shaft to work with the Mexican bell housing. It is quite a bit longer than the gasser or diesel ones.

Thank you.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Mexican Bellhousing input shaft Reply with quote

A Mexican Bellhousing?

Please tell us more, what does that mean?

How does it differ from a German one?

I've seen a bell housing made from an old wheel rim, that was some post years ago in a "3rd" World Country.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Mexican Bellhousing input shaft Reply with quote

In Mexico they produced watercooled Bay Window Buses in the late 90s and early 00s. These were VW inline 4 engines mounted "upright" since the Bay engine compartment was tall enough. Since the trannys were based on 091, the bell housing VW made for these vehicles can also fit Vanagon trannys. There is a special VW input shaft, etc along with the special VW bell housing. These special VW parts were sold in the US for use in engine conversions, usually TDIs. Some people used them rather than use an adapter plate from Kennedy. Most people prefer the Vanagon diesel engine mounting angle since it better clears the lower Vanagon engine lid and the Vanagon diesel parts are in far greater supply than the Mexican upright mounting parts. Since the later TDI engines have a different block that doesn't lend itself to using the Vanagon diesel mounting angle there is a demand for the "upright" mounting stuff too.

Mark
Escorial Syncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Mexican Bellhousing input shaft Reply with quote

I researched this Mexican option a few years ago. At that time I was directed to German Transaxle as having a few of these setups. You might try them for spare parts like an input shaft. Just a thought. Joel
1974 Honda CL360 Scrambler (for sale!)
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Mexican Bellhousing input shaft Reply with quote

Joel I will. Otherwise we will weld it up and machine it back. Mark thanks for posting the details of the bellhousing setup. I’ve always been aware of these and thought they were common. Based on my experience with this one, probably no longer a viable solution for inline engines in vanagon.
mackaymanx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Mexican Bellhousing input shaft Reply with quote

In the gallery

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: Mexican Bellhousing input shaft Reply with quote

MarkWard wrote:
.... Otherwise we will weld it up and machine it back. .....

Out of curiosity, is a speedi sleeve repair viable?

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: Mexican Bellhousing input shaft Reply with quote

Neil, the problem is that the OD is a precision fit into the pilot bearing. The speedi sleeves are more suited to lip type seals that have some room for give. It end could be machined down to fit a sleeve or a brass bushing that might be fitted. Just trying to keep it stock for the moment. There is enough material front and back of where it was damaged that we have a reference. Time is money though and a replacement shaft would end up saving the owner money over trying to save his.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: Mexican Bellhousing input shaft Reply with quote

I have certain seen some pretty nasty looking shafts that still seemed to function well and give long life to the pilot bearing. If the shaft is badly enough eaten up and a better one can not be found, then the shaft could be turned down slightly to good metal and a custom pilot BUSHING made.
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Mexican Bellhousing input shaft Reply with quote

MarkWard wrote:
Neil, the problem is that the OD is a precision fit into the pilot bearing. The speedi sleeves are more suited to lip type seals that have some room for give. It end could be machined down to fit a sleeve or a brass bushing that might be fitted. Just trying to keep it stock for the moment. There is enough material front and back of where it was damaged that we have a reference. Time is money though and a replacement shaft would end up saving the owner money over trying to save his.

Ah yes; "mime is money". Just kidding but not of course.

Ok. I see what you mean. i.e. applications for the Speedi sleeves I've seen here were for the rear axle stub and the WBX flywheel, uh, flange bit, that meets the oil seal on case.

Neil.

"mime is money Spinal Tap" movie reference

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: Mexican Bellhousing input shaft Reply with quote

Hey! Those are my pics! Glad I didn't have to dig for them myself.

ha ha

Don't quote me on this because it has been 5 or 6 years, but I am pretty sure when I bought all the Mexican parts (I paid a guy who lived in El Paso to make a trip across the border to a Mexican salvage yard) he neglected to get me the input shaft.

I seem to remember being able to order one from Weddle. It seemed like they were buying Mexican transmissions to get parts and had a pile of 'em.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2023 10:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Mexican Bellhousing input shaft Reply with quote

Here are a lot more pics and such with regards to the Mexican Bellhousing. I've been talking to Samba member Wheely Applegate aka Dave G about this. He's got an AHU in a Vanagon that has burned up a regular clutch or two, utilizing the old Eurospec kit that used the Mexican bellhousing too.

To bring everyone up to speed: The Mexcian setup uses a bellhousing that is uniquely deeper than any Bus or Vanagon transmission we got in the US. Our theory is that at least one reason for this is to push the engine back a little and give clearance for the head coolant outlet.

As stock, it uses the same clutch disc and pressure plate as a Bus or Vanagon. The flywheel has a sort of "snout" to put the clutch/ring gear in the right position, and also a longer input shaft to correspond with all this.

So far, Dave and I have worked out that to use a DMF with this bellhousing, we will need to:

*Figure out how to move the flywheel/ring gear further away from the engine block, to put the ring gear in the same position as the Mexcian flywheel, and theoretically also put the fingers for the throwout bearing in the right position. This will likely be through having a spacer made, and is the main focus of the pics.

*Have an input shaft that has the correct splines to accept the DMF's clutch disc, but is longer than the currently-available product. I believe the overall length would need to be the same due to the fact that it sits in the bearing in the crank. Splines certainly need to be in about the same place, though it seems there should be a little leeway in exactly where they are.

*Maybe get a new starter adapter that pushes the starter out slightly? (See comments by pic below)

*Maybe somehow also deal with where the surface of the flywheel where the engine side of the clutch lands? (It is deeper into the flywheel on the Mexican and original Bay flywheel, though also that seems to be made up for by the pressure plate clamp side.)

Anyway, a bunch of pics.

First, pics of the starter and current adapter. I bought this from Karl Mullendore back when he started making them, in like 2012 or 2013. It may have even been a prototype. I modified it somewhat to work on this bellhousing.

Now, the Mexican flywheel. (For all the flywheel/ring gear depth pics, I had the dust cover removed from the block and mounted the flywheels. One end of the gauge was against the block, the other against the teeth.)

These are the DMF:

And 1997 Passat TDI:

Crank side of DMF and Mexcian comparison:

Mexican crank side:

DMF crank side:

Passat TDI crank side:

Comparisons of all three. Order is Passat, DMF, Mexcian in all of them.

Crank side:

Clutch side:

All three with their clutches:

So I think that if the ring gear ends up in the same position, that the clutch will work itself out. I was nervous about the depth of the Mexcian flywheel's clutch area (about an inch) compared to the DMF's (about a quarter inch) but the Bus clutch disc surface of the pressure plate also protrudes into that space, whereas the other two clutches it isn't as deep and the pressure plate doesn't protrude correspondingly. Does all that make sense?

Mexican flywheel depth:

DMF depth:

I also wonder about the starter adapter... If the adapter's Karl sells/sold were made to go with the larger DMF/Passat ring gear, then maybe I've just gotten lucky with it spinning mine. There is a difference in the diameters of roughly 3/16 inch (sorry, I should probably buy a metric ruler sometime!) It almost looks like my starter wasn't engaging with about half of the teeth on the Mexcian flywheel, which means perhaps with the larger flywheel, it would still work with this starter and actually engage more of the teeth?

1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2023 4:25 am    Post subject: Re: Mexican Bellhousing input shaft Reply with quote

The larger diameter input shaft that works with the dual mass flywheel is the same length as the stock diesel input shaft. In other words, it’s the shortest. I applaud your effort, but you’ll need a way to move the pilot bearing out towards the bell housing. If the goal is to shim the DMF away from the crank, your spacer might be able to incorporate the pilot bearing relocation. Or 2 pieces instead. A flywheel spacer and as second that one end would be solid that presses in place of the original pilot bearing and a cup on the opposite end to hold the pilot bearing in its new location.

Makes sense to adapt to off the shelf parts for future wear. Sorry if you already addressed the pilot bearing and I missed it. On my first cup of coffee.
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2023 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: Mexican Bellhousing input shaft Reply with quote

MarkWard wrote:
The larger diameter input shaft that works with the dual mass flywheel is the same length as the stock diesel input shaft. In other words, it’s the shortest. I applaud your effort, but you’ll need a way to move the pilot bearing out towards the bell housing. If the goal is to shim the DMF away from the crank, your spacer might be able to incorporate the pilot bearing relocation. Or 2 pieces instead. A flywheel spacer and as second that one end would be solid that presses in place of the original pilot bearing and a cup on the opposite end to hold the pilot bearing in its new location.

Makes sense to adapt to off the shelf parts for future wear. Sorry if you already addressed the pilot bearing and I missed it. On my first cup of coffee.

Hi Mark-

I think that to make everything work, the stock diesel input shaft length would pull the flywheel too far into the bellhousing.

So one piece of the puzzle will actually be having someone make a longer input shaft with the correct splines to fit the DMF clutch. David G has made contact with a transmission builder or machinist (I don't recall specifically which) who can do this, though a couple one-off pieces will probably be in the range of $600 each... (If anyone else is interested in this project, then we could probably all get them less expensively!)

I have wondered about the possibility of using a Bus/Vanagon clutch disc with the DMF. Perhaps a "performance" disc that doesn't have the springs? Or maybe if there was some other clutch disc with the slightly larger diameter but smaller shaft splines? Anyone have thoughts on any of that?

As far as wear parts, I don't think that the spacer to move the flywheel out, the starter adapter, or really even the input shaft are really wear items, so barring something really crazy happening, once they are purchased they should be good to go.

1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2023 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: Mexican Bellhousing input shaft Reply with quote

My DMF came as a complete assembly. The flywheel bolts were already inserted. It did not look like something that was meant to be taken apart. So, substituting a disc might have some challenges.

At this point, I'd probably abandon the mexico bellhousing and go a different route. I recall reading recently about a company in the UK that was making an adapter so you could run the diesel bellhousing, but with an upright engine and DMF with the proper input shaft for the TDI. Ultimate Engineering. I purchaseed and oil pan adpater recently and was a good experience. Tim Shettle was who I dealt with. Probably worth checking with.
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2023 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: Mexican Bellhousing input shaft Reply with quote

MarkWard wrote:
My DMF came as a complete assembly. The flywheel bolts were already inserted. It did not look like something that was meant to be taken apart. So, substituting a disc might have some challenges.

At this point, I'd probably abandon the mexico bellhousing and go a different route. I recall reading recently about a company in the UK that was making an adapter so you could run the diesel bellhousing, but with an upright engine and DMF with the proper input shaft for the TDI. Ultimate Engineering. I purchaseed and oil pan adpater recently and was a good experience. Tim Shettle was who I dealt with. Probably worth checking with.

Interesting. As you can see from this pic, the DMF setup I have (middle column in the pic) is just like any other flywheel/clutch combo. With a flywheel, disc, and pressure plate all separate. I can see where it looks like there are bolt holes through both the pressure plate and the disc, though. So it seems that it could be shipped altogether as a unit and installed without separating the setup.

Going the other way you mention seems like potentially a lot of redoing things I'd rather not have to redo, if I can help it!

1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2023 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: Mexican Bellhousing input shaft Reply with quote

I understand. We drive our vanagon all over the country. It needs to be reliable and if something fails easily fixed with hopefully off the shelf parts.

When Eurospec was selling the Mexican Bellhousing setup, I was impressed with the idea.I owned a bus at the time.
We had a Vanagon owner with a TDI mated to a Mexican Bellhousing that had destroyed the input shaft. We were lucky to find probably the last one in North America. I believe we had Kennedy build a stage 2 clutch built for it and had a machine shop grind the flywheel to ensure the "step" was correct. Eventually it all went back together. Now that the clutch could handle the power, eventually it ate the transmission.

Its always the weakest link that fails. I ran a stock NA 1.6 diesel flywheel and clutch for 40,000 miles with zero problems. It started to slip on hard acceleration from a stop shifting into 3rd. I went with the upgraded input shaft and a TDI single mass flywheel setup. Another 20,000 miles and the transmission was done. It took the van off the road for six months during Covid. Fortunately we were home. I believe in the DMF setup. Still the plan it to tear the transaxle down at 60,000 and see what wear occurs. I'm watching your thread. Good luck.
OlisGarage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2023 8:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Mexican Bellhousing input shaft Reply with quote

vwwestyman wrote:
MarkWard wrote:

Interesting. As you can see from this pic, the DMF setup I have (middle column in the pic) is just like any other flywheel/clutch combo. With a flywheel, disc, and pressure plate all separate. I can see where it looks like there are bolt holes through both the pressure plate and the disc, though. So it seems that it could be shipped altogether as a unit and installed without separating the setup.

Going the other way you mention seems like potentially a lot of redoing things I'd rather not have to redo, if I can help it!

The flywheel and clutch disc on a DMF setup can be taken apart no problem. There even is a torque spec in the Bentley manual for the mk4 jetta for the 12 bolts that hold it together.

I also have spoken quite extensively with David about some of this actually! He has also given me tons of advice and insight for which I am very thankful. Funny how the samba pulls together people from all over.

Back on topic. If you want to run your engine at 15 degrees with a DMF, it is totally possible. I never found anyone talking about this on the internet.
Ultimate-engineering.co.uk (Tim, a great man) sells an adaptor to clock the diesel bell housing at 15 degrees. Im using it. Link to my thread is in my signature.
The spacer is 15mm thick thus one needs to simply install a 15mm spacer for the flywheel which Tim also has. Then you have to take the flywheel apart and install different (longer) bolts to bolt to the crank. You can use mk4 Passat bolts. Just trim them a bit. I can’t remember the exact length, but I have it saved or even in my thread.

This setup seems to be about 5-10mm shorter overall than the Mexican bell housing. Enough room that the mounts can take the slight flex.

If you want a detailed video, send me a PM. Would be happy to video chat.

Not trying to detract from any of David’s efforts. I just wanted to make sure I covered my solution to mounting an ALH at 15 degrees that I have not seen anywhere else.
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2023 6:56 am    Post subject: Re: Mexican Bellhousing input shaft Reply with quote

That is good information about the flywheel spacer.

It seems that the difference between the Mexican flywheel and the DMF is right around 18mm, and you say the spacer is 15mm. I wonder if that 3 mm difference is critical in this application?

For David and I to use your solution, it would require buying not only the spacer and inputshaft, but also bellhousing and adapters. Which probably starts to come close to the cost of having the input shafts we need custom made.

1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2023 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: Mexican Bellhousing input shaft Reply with quote

I did not read through all the posts yet, so maybe this has already been covered.

Can you just dispense with the crank spacer and instead mill the contact face of the Mexican bell housing so that you remove the same thickness as the spacer? That would allow the DMF to mount directly to the crank AND reduce the distance the engine needs to move back.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: