Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What dist/carb combo for upgraded 1500 SP Confuseeed!
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
veskovici
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 3:23 am    Post subject: What dist/carb combo for upgraded 1500 SP Confuseeed! Reply with quote

I have 1500 H0 engine upgraded to 1600.
Now I had third cylinder burned due to yet undermined reasons but,

I read tons of posts here and decided to use 30pict3 carb with 205T distributor. Was happy but,

at the same time due to my problem with third cylinder I decided to use dog house shroud to cool a little that 3third cylinder BUT!

Now i found that 113 905 205 T should have cylinder #3 spark retarded.
And that design was that when the oil cooler was yet not moved out of the fans air stream.

BUT!! My oil cooler will be moved out, so What distributor and what carburetor?
Have 34pict 3, 30pict 3 H30/31 , 034 distributor in hand
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 4:17 am    Post subject: Re: What dist/carb combo for upgraded 1500 SP Confuseeed! Reply with quote

If you have a 34PICT-3 and 034 that are both in working order, i'd use them.

But the 3* retard will not hurt if you use it.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
veskovici
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 4:22 am    Post subject: Re: What dist/carb combo for upgraded 1500 SP Confuseeed! Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:

Thanks Glenn i value your opinion very much.

And any suggestion for best option/combo regardless what I have? for 34-3 I need step up adapter for my SP manifold . I assume 30pict 3 and 205T?
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SevenOaks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 5:00 am    Post subject: Re: What dist/carb combo for upgraded 1500 SP Confuseeed! Reply with quote

Yikes, I also have a 1500 H0 engine upgraded to 1600, 30 PICT3, 205T.
What does it mean to have cylinder 3 spark retarded?
1966 Beetle
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:14 am    Post subject: Re: What dist/carb combo for upgraded 1500 SP Confuseeed! Reply with quote

veskovici wrote:
I have 1500 H0 engine upgraded to 1600.
Now I had third cylinder burned due to yet undermined reasons but,

I read tons of posts here and decided to use 30pict3 carb with 205T distributor. Was happy but,

at the same time due to my problem with third cylinder I decided to use dog house shroud to cool a little that 3third cylinder BUT!

Now i found that 113 905 205 T should have cylinder #3 spark retarded.
And that design was that when the oil cooler was yet not moved out of the fans air stream.

BUT!! My oil cooler will be moved out, so What distributor and what carburetor?
Have 34pict 3, 30pict 3 H30/31 , 034 distributor in hand

A 1970 bus in the usa would be single port and have a German Solex 30-3 carb and 113905205T SVA distributor. The combo works well in a bus.

The Germans put the 3° retard on #3 to help cool it a bit. I've seen distributors made after doghouse fan shrouds that also retard #3 on my distributor machine.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Amskeptic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: What dist/carb combo for upgraded 1500 SP Confuseeed! Reply with quote

veskovici wrote:
Glenn wrote:

Thanks Glenn i value your opinion very much.

And any suggestion for best option/combo regardless what I have? for 34-3 I need step up adapter for my SP manifold . I assume 30pict 3 and 205T?

A 30 Pict3 carb and a vacuum-only distributor on a single port manifold gives you excellent driveability and good economy. The engine below has given me three laps of the country including summer Death Valley traverses with no problems. It has an upgrade doghouse cooler and the original #3 retard vacuum-only distributor and 30 pict 3 carb that it came with:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

You can avoid issues with the #3 exhaust valve by checking it frequently when the engine is still breaking in and the heads are settling on to the barrels. I had to do mine every 400 miles for the first 1,200 miles after heads were installed, then the adjustments stabilized and I now do them every 3,000 miles.
Colin
veskovici
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: What dist/carb combo for upgraded 1500 SP Confuseeed! Reply with quote

I managed to track 111 905 205T So I wonder if that one is the same with 113 905 205T on my SP 1500 converted to 1600?
Also I have 113 905 205K and I think I red somewhere that distributor i compatible with 30 pict series carburetors. So which one is better, having in mind that I also have 034 and 34pict 3 at hand?
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: What dist/carb combo for upgraded 1500 SP Confuseeed! Reply with quote

veskovici wrote:
I managed to track 111 905 205T So I wonder if that one is the same with 113 905 205T on my SP 1500 converted to 1600?
Also I have 113 905 205K and I think I red somewhere that distributor i compatible with 30 pict series carburetors. So which one is better, having in mind that I also have 034 and 34pict 3 at hand?

The 111905205T is a non USA delivered distributor. Maybe Canada? Anyway, it's identical to the 113905205T.

The 205K was used in 1967 and uses a short cap and rotor. Both distributors will work fine with a 30-1 series carb. The big difference is the 205T's use a tall cap that was used from 1968-1979 on VW's and even later. They are 1/2 the cost to buy vs. the short caps. The timing is also set different between the 205T and 205K if they have their original and correct vac cans mounted. The 205K was 7.5BTDC and the T was 0

veskovici
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: What dist/carb combo for upgraded 1500 SP Confuseeed! Reply with quote

So after pages and pages read and cans and cans of beer with used parts local dealers on a stormy weather I concluded that best option for me is 30pict 3 carburetor with 113 905 205T distributor which I haven't managed to find, but I did found 111 905 205AA which is vw replacement so i started ( of a first time ) to restore distributor so

Now I have to go to Bosch dealer and to pick up or order:

Condensor: 02 007 - Note: If equipped w/AC use 02 069
Rotor: 04 006 (Replacement uses 04 033)
Cap: 03 001 (Replacement uses 03 010)
Parts Kit (Washers, Shims & Hardware): 059-998-211, Bosch 1237 070 007
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: What dist/carb combo for upgraded 1500 SP Confuseeed! Reply with quote

veskovici wrote:

You don't need that kit. It's VERY expensive and only only need a few parts inside.

you need a o-ring, 2 fiber washers and metal shims. I have all of those loose and can put what you need together for much cheaper. PM me if interested.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
veskovici
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: What dist/carb combo for upgraded 1500 SP Confuseeed! Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
veskovici wrote:

You don't need that kit. It's VERY expensive and only only need a few parts inside.

you need a o-ring, 2 fiber washers and metal shims. I have all of those loose and can put what you need together for much cheaper. PM me if interested.

Yes O ring two fiber washers two metal shims and one shim below striker plate and felt for distributor shaft .

Interesting is that first I went to all local dealers with used parts looking for 113 905 205 T so they first asked me wtf,why, you dont use that use this and so. I just smile and open another can of beer and just shrug because if I try to explain myself I will just sink deeper. They pull out 5 buckets full of same size distributors and secretly laugh to my back because they don use this distributor any more and just recommending 34 pict 3. Not trying to explain that i wanth this one on my SP 1500 conv. to 1600. Ok, I digg 5 buckets and I didnt found any 113T just 111T and 113K but I now am not sure if i can use it so I had to go home to read more stuff. Then i see that vw replacement for 113T is 111AA, so I had to go back. Of course they just wait for me because weather is bad for several days and they have noting to do. I return with more cans of beer and smile, like ok friends smile at me just let me dig your distributors so they spill buckets of distributors again and I found out that 80% of them are 111 905 205 AA because they were very common on 1200 engines here in the past but no one is using them any more just new type svdas . Happy picked few for a change .
veskovici
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:40 pm    Post subject: Re: What dist/carb combo for upgraded 1500 SP Confuseeed! Reply with quote

My final set up is Bosch dist 111 905 205AA with german 30pict 3, timing set at 0. Trying to understand . I insisted on this setup as i had problem with burned piston before and now have new engine all new, but now my bus is slow and with no power. Been advised so many times to advance a timing for a bit and I hesitated but finally moved distributor a little counterclockwise and immediately felt improvement. Hesitation when I hit gas pedal stopped and bus is accelerating nice. So why is this happening? Why my bus is not happy with this set up and how is that possible that my distributor supposed to be set on 0 but performs much better when advanced? Thanks

Last edited by veskovici on Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:07 am; edited 1 time in total
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: What dist/carb combo for upgraded 1500 SP Confuseeed! Reply with quote

veskovici wrote:
My final set up is Bosch dist 111 905 205AA with german 30pict, timing set at 0. Trying to understand . I insisted on this setup as i had problem with burned piston before and now have new engine all new, but now my bus is slow and with no power. Been advised so many times to advance a timing for a bit and I hesitated but finally moved distributor a little counterclockwise and immediately felt improvement. Hesitation when I hit gas pedal stopped and bus is accelerating nice. So why is this happening? Why my bus is not happy with this set up and how is that possible that my distributor supposed to be set on 0 but performs much better when advanced? Thanks

A couple of thoughts here. This 111905205AA distributor is basically a service replacement of the 113905205T. It should have a 07024 vac can mounted on it which would vacuum advance 32°.

So, over the years/decades, folks change the vacuum canisters around all the time. Someone could of mounted an earlier 07017 vacuum canister that only vacuum advances 22-24°. So, when you advance the timing to say 7.5 BTDC at idle, you get a better response. That 07017 vacuum canister mounted on a distributor would time at 7.5° BTDC.

What you can do it this. Is the arm on the vacuum canister stamped? You can remove the distributor and then the vacuum canister and measure how far it travels. That will tell you which canister is on the distributor. While you're at it, make sure the points pivot plate that the vacuum canister connects to moves easily in both directions. Often times after decades of use, they are sticky or even hard to move.

airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:02 pm    Post subject: Re: What dist/carb combo for upgraded 1500 SP Confuseeed! Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:
…Is the arm on the vacuum canister stamped?

I think the photos above show a number of 095 stamped on the vacuum can. I don't have my spares with me; do you know what that can is?

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
veskovici
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:07 pm    Post subject: Re: What dist/carb combo for upgraded 1500 SP Confuseeed! Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:
veskovici wrote:
My final set up is Bosch dist 111 905 205AA with german 30pict, timing set at 0. Trying to understand . I insisted on this setup as i had problem with burned piston before and now have new engine all new, but now my bus is slow and with no power. Been advised so many times to advance a timing for a bit and I hesitated but finally moved distributor a little counterclockwise and immediately felt improvement. Hesitation when I hit gas pedal stopped and bus is accelerating nice. So why is this happening? Why my bus is not happy with this set up and how is that possible that my distributor supposed to be set on 0 but performs much better when advanced? Thanks

A couple of thoughts here. This 111905205AA distributor is basically a service replacement of the 113905205T. It should have a 07024 vac can mounted on it which would vacuum advance 32°.

So, over the years/decades, folks change the vacuum canisters around all the time. Someone could of mounted an earlier 07017 vacuum canister that only vacuum advances 22-24°. So, when you advance the timing to say 7.5 BTDC at idle, you get a better response. That 07017 vacuum canister mounted on a distributor would time at 7.5° BTDC.

What you can do it this. Is the arm on the vacuum canister stamped? You can remove the distributor and then the vacuum canister and measure how far it travels. That will tell you which canister is on the distributor. While you're at it, make sure the points pivot plate that the vacuum canister connects to moves easily in both directions. Often times after decades of use, they are sticky or even hard to move.

I think I checked before I installed distributor that vac can i what supposed to be. Anyway I have 113 905 205 K NOS distributor with star vacuum canister, never used in a box, thinking to use that one and set timing to 7,5 BTDC. The thing is that I dont need extra power or speed I just want my bus to run smooth easy and nice. Preferably on factory setting.
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:50 am    Post subject: Re: What dist/carb combo for upgraded 1500 SP Confuseeed! Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
wcfvw69 wrote:
…Is the arm on the vacuum canister stamped?

I think the photos above show a number of 095 stamped on the vacuum can. I don't have my spares with me; do you know what that can is?

Robbie

I think it's a date of manufacture stamp though I don't see that number on the Bosch codes.

heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:45 am    Post subject: Re: What dist/carb combo for upgraded 1500 SP Confuseeed! Reply with quote

veskovici wrote:

I think I checked before I installed distributor that vac can i what supposed to be. Anyway I have 113 905 205 K NOS distributor with star vacuum canister, never used in a box, thinking to use that one and set timing to 7,5 BTDC. The thing is that I dont need extra power or speed I just want my bus to run smooth easy and nice. Preferably on factory setting.

It won't help much. If it does then all that implies is that other AA distributor probably has some faults. When you rebuilt it what were the tolerances on everything? There are some posts on this site that show the poster sanding the bushing. If you did that you might try another distributor as that will damage the thing. Check the timing on the engine. Do you see the timing mark bouncing around? It is very hard to check on an engine. It would be better to take to someone with a distributor testing machine.
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: What dist/carb combo for upgraded 1500 SP Confuseeed! Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=606129&highlight=

Here's a thread where I restored a 205T 5 years ago.

BTW, sanding the pivot bores to smooth it out is perfectly fine. Just use a very fine sandpaper like 2000 or higher. It's not going to undersize anything. I've only seen one SVA out of 100's with any measurable wear on it. It was due to a clogged oil gallery at the base of the distributor. The main shaft and lower brass bushing was worn undersized. 99% of the time, a complete disassembly, cleaning and re lubrication will make them work perfect again. Wink

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: