Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Please help identify rusty chassis
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sarasway
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 6:45 pm    Post subject: Please help identify rusty chassis Reply with quote

I'm trying to identify the remains of a vehicle, possibly related to a cold case. Can anyone tell me what type of vehicle this is and what year it might be? Others have suggested that it was a VW bug but there has been no concrete identification of the vehicle's make/year. A vehicle in this condition might be impossible to identify but I thought I'd ask some experts. Any other information that may be helpful in identifying a specific vehicle of that make/year would also be very much appreciated. Thanks Smile
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Please help identify rusty chassis Reply with quote

Someone didn't want it identified, judging from the VIN cut out of the tunnel.

I think I see strut springs in the first photo, making it a Super Beetle if it's a Bug, which it looks like, so '71 or later.
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 7:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Please help identify rusty chassis Reply with quote

With its very distinct center tunnel and heater pass through tubes under the rear seat area, there's no doubt that is an aircooled VW Beetle. Add to the mix the McPherson strut front suspension and we know that it is a Super Beetle; so anywhere from 1971 to 1979 for what year it was. Narrowing it down further will be difficult without more pictures, especially with better than half of the car rusted away.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 8:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Please help identify rusty chassis Reply with quote

Definitely a Super Beetle. Pictures of whether it had a steering box or steering rack will narrow down what year it was. Even a picture of the seat tracks would tell if it was a ‘71/‘72 or a ‘73 on.

Pictures for comparison stolen from the gallery...

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: