Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Servicing CV joints made easier
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:58 am    Post subject: Servicing CV joints made easier Reply with quote

I needed to replace the boots on my CV joints while in dusty Arizona. Don't have a decent workshop here and everything thing is coated with dust, so coming up with a good place to do the work was a challenge. Decide to use a nasty steel bench with a dust impregnated hardboard top which sits outside as it had the needed vise, not the best but better than a piece of plyboard on the floor would have been. I had an old embossed four panel door that would clean up better than the hardboard top of the bench so decided to throw that on top of the bench, and then I decided to take a clean bath towel and cover the door and use that as my clean surface.

This resulted in a great work place for doing the boot replacement. The embossed face of the door, combined with the soft irregular surface of the towel meant the balls would not roll off the bench, while the towel absorbed grease and kept the dust at bay.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This ended up being the easiest place I have ever done CV work.
Amskeptic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: Servicing CV joints made easier Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
I needed to replace the boots on my CV joints while in dusty Arizona. Don't have a decent workshop here and everything thing is coated with dust, so coming up with a good place to do the work was a challenge. Decide to use a nasty steel bench with a dust impregnated hardboard top which sits outside as it had the needed vise, not the best but better than a piece of plyboard on the floor would have been. I had an old embossed four panel door that would clean up better than the hardboard top of the bench so decided to throw that on top of the bench, and then I decided to take a clean bath towel and cover the door and use that as my clean surface.

This resulted in a great work place for doing the boot replacement. The embossed face of the door, combined with the soft irregular surface of the towel meant the balls would not roll off the bench, while the towel absorbed grease and kept the dust at bay.

This ended up being the easiest place I have ever done CV work.

Good idea. Better than that concrete armco barrier I used in Virginia by far.
Colin
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Servicing CV joints made easier Reply with quote

One of those gems that people with nice shops will never understand. Smile

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Servicing CV joints made easier Reply with quote

I’ve used a pipe vice on a tripod for years. Pipe vice legs unscrew from the vice for storage... it’s something I used in my side business for many years. The working height is waist level.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:41 am    Post subject: Re: Servicing CV joints made easier Reply with quote

Awesome on the pipe Vice.

I’ve got about 75 feet of pipe to lay for a NG refit, so I need to buy one, and now have another use for it?
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Servicing CV joints made easier Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Awesome on the pipe Vice.

I’ve got about 75 feet of pipe to lay for a NG refit, so I need to buy one, and now have another use for it?

Yep!

While you’re at it, fab up a small deck to mount a regular vice to. Under that deck, weld on two lugs sandwiching a 1 1/2 or 2 inch Sch. 40 or heavier pipe. Make the length of that pipe long enough to mount it into the pipe vice. Now you have a tripod with a pipe vice, but the add-on regular vice for other flat work.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: