Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Audio sound system controlled from steering wheel.
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:08 am    Post subject: Audio sound system controlled from steering wheel. Reply with quote

On another topic a couple of days ago where I was musing about steering wheels,
a2wolfsburggli wrote:
Curious if anyone has come up with steering wheel controls for a radio or cruise without just bolting on universal controls.

Is there a stock VW steering wheel that would work if we could incorporate the clock spring for electrical?

This is something I've even wondering about for quite a while. I first velcroed my radio remote to the steering wheel, but with poor results. Only sometimes worked when the wheel was centered.

There are two ways to do this, either wireless or by wire. Wolfsburggli's question was by wire so I'll deal with that first.

I have thought it would be easy to go to the local discard pull and pay and get any steering wheel with buttons that looked good and go from there. How tough could it be?

Turns out pretty hard if not impossible unless you have access to a super smart electronics guy. And then there are the mechanical issues. Those first.

How do you get wires down the column and not have them all twisted up. That's the clock spring W..burggli's question refers to. This is a device that is kinna like a retractable tape measure mounted just under the wheel that allows the electrical circuits mounted on the tape to rotate at one end and the other is fixed so a plug next to the column can then take the signals to where they need to go.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Clearly this particular one would not work as the spindle connection is wrong, but it illustrates where they go. The arrow points to the wires that connect to the buttons on the wheel. The fixed plug is out of view. Unfortunately for us, this takes up some space and would probably be difficult to mount and still get our horn and turn signal return functions. Could work with, say a Jetta or Audi wheel which might need a modification to the turn signal return tab, but a fella would need to have one in his hands to know if this would work or not. Being an inveterate tinkerer, I thought why not put the clock spring at the base of the column and run wires down the inside to it? I checked out the base of the T3 column and figure it could be mounted above and between the foot pedals. It might be possible to take one apart and split it, put the parts back around the column with the fixed plug portion mounted nearby to the tin with a bracket. Or, how 'bout a cylinder of wood, hose clamped to the base of the T3 column with stacked circular copper bands and wipers to transmit the circuit--i. e. no clock spring?

But here's the rub. Yesterday spent about an hour with a 30 year experienced audio systems installer at the local Best Buy. I asked him if I brought in my van with wires ready to go could he do it? His response--"I wouldn't touch it". Here's what I got from him. There is a audio unit specific module which sends signals to the steering wheel and then interprets the return signal. Each manufacturer and audio unit is different and uses different protocols. There are translators he uses to take, say a Volvo factory installed module and control system, and allow it to talk to a Pioneer or whatever the owner wants. However, he says it's getting more and more difficult to do this as the automobile manufacturers are getting more sophisticated about how the entire ECU works in the car. Apparently after 2017 things get seriously more difficult. He has had to install new systems with the old audio unit still wired and pushed up behind the dash out of the way. Otherwise the car wouldn't ever run at all. The wiring harness which uses the audio control system is now also part of the engine management system. And we all know about that with the dreaded Vanagon Syndrome. So this is what he left me with. Get the junk wheel. Get the clock spring or some other such device to work. Go to the dealer of the vehicle brand that manufactured your junk wheel and find out what the necessary electronic audio control system modules you would need. Find the wiring diagrams. Buy the modules. Put it all together, take it to the Best Buy type of installer and hope. He said maybe a 20% chance, if he's even willing to try it at all. Hmmm.

Wireless--Buy an existing manufactured item. Slap it on, looking like an add on, or modify it so it can be integrated to look what way you want. https://axxessinterfaces.com/products?category=AX-RSWC&steering_wheel_control=1 Make your own transmitter and receiver with your 40 years of electronic experience and have it be exactly what you want.

Duncan
a2wolfsburggli
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: Audio sound system controlled from steering wheel. Reply with quote

Awesome...thanks for looking into this. My thoughts were very similar. I was curious if one could use the clockspring as just a conduit for the electrical signals by soldering into the wiring.

In retrospect, it does seem like far more work than reward.

Here is another option I thought about and discovered while surfing craigslist and then driving 400+ miles in the last 2 days in the Westy.

I ran into a Kenwood unit that was controllable with an android app. I currently use a magnetic cell phone holder on the dash of the Westy. (The phone case has a metal piece in it.)

Why not just embed some rare earth magnets into the underside of the horn cover and use the phone as the wireless remote? Only downside is no charging while driving. Even with where I have my phone mounted on the side of the gauge cluster, it's easier reach than the stereo in the dash.

Embed a couple more in various spots in the cabinetry or even the backside of the exterior panels and you can magnetically mount the phone anywhere inside or out for easy access (if you don't want to keep it in your pocket or want to use a retired cell phone or tablet.)

Past: '09 CC 3.6L 4motion "R36 wannabe" | '02 Audi TT "ALMS Edition" | '84 Jetta GLI with Autotech Supercharger | '89 Helios Jetta GLI 16v's (x2) | '95.5 URS6 | and the list goes on.

Never underestimate the entertainment value of OCD overruling Common Sense
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: Audio sound system controlled from steering wheel. Reply with quote

Sounds like a lot of work to avoid leaning 8 degrees to the right and placing your right hand on the radio!

I suggest you use the wireless remote that comes with most stereos today, but this time dont affix it to the steering wheels center where its signal is blocked by the metal in the steering wheel hub. Make a little bracket and mount it offset toward the radio. Make it detachable (velcro?) so you can use the remote from the back of the van, making it more functional than steering wheel controls.
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: Audio sound system controlled from steering wheel. Reply with quote

Without doing a steering wheel/column transplant, I don't see a solution.

I have radio controls on my Wife's car, it sits completely unused. The radio is so close by that have wheel controls is simply silly to me. A gadget you don't need.

But I'm old.......... Laughing

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: Audio sound system controlled from steering wheel. Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
A gadget you don't need.

Dave

Huh? That sounds like a contradiction in terms. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: Audio sound system controlled from steering wheel. Reply with quote

since I listen to radio and not tunes or an app.
I use the steering wheel radio controls in our SUV constantly

but I wouldn't pt any more effort in adding it to my van than one of the clamp/stick on Blue tooth controllers.

https://www.google.com/search?q=bluetooth+steering...p;ie=UTF-8
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: Audio sound system controlled from steering wheel. Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
I have radio controls on my Wife's car, it sits completely unused. The radio is so close by that have wheel controls is simply silly to me. A gadget you don't need.

My GTI has wheel controls and I use them all the time. But the car has an MIB, not a traditional, plain-Jane radio.

My van? SD card with songs I like put on random. Rarely do I even need to use the remote, or touch the faceplate controls.
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Audio sound system controlled from steering wheel. Reply with quote

This was all good stuff. Just remember that IR remotes will not work as they have to be aimed at the radio. Rare earth mags are OK next to the phone as a holding device? Sounds like the electrons in the phone might have some objections. Plus, the whole idea of steering wheel controls is that you don't have to take your eyes off the road if you can feel the buttons and if you do, the buttons are right there. I'd be worried that trying to control the sound system by touching certain areas on the face of a phone the right way would be less safe than using the just a-little to-the-right dash knob controls which stick out. And the phone wouldn't stay in one place. it would constantly be moving with the steering wheel. All this being said, for under $10, it's probably worth getting one just to see what they do. Looks like it might the tough to let it in flush with the top of the horn pad. What's the purple part do?

Why not just go with voice commands, such as: "Please change to preset number 4" or, "Louder, please"or "Stop, STOP, STOP--SHUT THE #*%$%UP!!!"

Are we done here?
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Audio sound system controlled from steering wheel. Reply with quote

My original dream was to have a sexy double DIN unit that could display the back-up camera image and do GPS all with additional one-of-a-kind-useless Duncan sexy buttons built into the wheel looking OEM. I'd be willing to throw $25 and 1 1/2 hours into such a setup.
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 12:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Audio sound system controlled from steering wheel. Reply with quote

And oh by the way, I'm always having so much fun driving Orly Blau, I don't actually ever listen to the radio. Just sit there and dream up problems to solve the are not actual problems and don't need solving.
Orly Blau--Thought the Blaupunkt was the only interesting candidate of all the paste-ons. I'm kinna like you, Dave only older. Gadgets we don't need.
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Audio sound system controlled from steering wheel. Reply with quote

that's why I said blue tooth gadget..

for you oldtimers Bluetooth isn't the bandleader from the muppets. Wink
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Audio sound system controlled from steering wheel. Reply with quote

I didn't say Blau Zahn--I sad Blau punkt.
Entschuldigung sie Fraulein, auf ihren Zahn ein punkt zu haben.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: