Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

AFM issues and seeking advice
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
andrewtf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 7:02 pm    Post subject: AFM issues and seeking advice Reply with quote

As stated, we are seeking some advice on our AFM

We developed a sudden problem in Big Emma today where it would start, struggle for a couple of seconds and wheeze to a halt. This was after running beautifully as Emma’s daily driver for two weeks now, while we finish her up for the road.

After an extended diagnostic period, we discovered the AFM was not working properly. We luckily had the one in Murphy (also running beautifully) for a working comparison. The issue is the silver wiper arm mechanism over rotates past the copper(?) fins all the way back behind all of them, so when we then try to start the engine the wiper crashes into the back side of the long fin on the end. It is supposed to remain on the other side, as we can very surely assess thanks to Murphy.

The wiper mechanism has a stop that seems to have come loose? broken? bent? during a backfire, or from age, or from bad luck. So - where as the wiper arm on Murphy has some sort of physical stop preventing it from over-rotating, Big Emma’s seems to have suddenly….gone away. We know the stop is there, but we cannot see what it is or where it is – it must be under the mechanism. We don’t want to dive in there too totally unprepared.

Lastly, the AFM part number is 200 008 006 which does not seem to match anything remotely close to what it should be. We do have a spare 280 201 002 and 280 200 020 we can swap in – although neither one has been tested as of yet.

Is the AFM toast? Can we fix it?
Advice?

If photos or even a video would help, I could make that happen.

Thanks in advance,
Andrew and Emma
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 7:58 pm    Post subject: Re: AFM issues and seeking advice Reply with quote

Geez, I have no idea what part number AFM will work for you but I would think it best to go ahead and try your spares. Then report back
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TomWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:42 pm    Post subject: Re: AFM issues and seeking advice Reply with quote

Do you have photos of the working and non-working wiper arm mechanics? Maybe a Samba brainstorm session can come up with a way of fixing the wiper arm limit. I’ve spent the last 38 years field repairing some weird stuff in the middle of the night in the middle of nowhere as my main occupation. And then of course there is the Baywindow forum secret weapon - Telford. And this is in no way meant to discount all of the other inventive Baywindow Samba dudes.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:10 pm    Post subject: Re: AFM issues and seeking advice Reply with quote

Ratwell has a list of interchangeable parts.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:16 pm    Post subject: Re: AFM issues and seeking advice Reply with quote

FWIW, Bus Depot used to advertise these being exchange-rebuild items.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 5:21 am    Post subject: Re: AFM issues and seeking advice Reply with quote

I think the flapper is just limited in its travel, don't think there is anything else that limits the movement. Maybe something has come loose or been bent by a backfire.

Pictures or videos would help.
aerosurfer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: AFM issues and seeking advice Reply with quote

PM sent... I would love to come by and take a look for you. I think you are near my parents

77 Westy 2.0L Rockin and Rolling Resto!

72 Sportsmobile (sold)
79 Tran$porter... Parts car money machine (gone)
andrewtf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: AFM issues and seeking advice Reply with quote

Thanks aerosurfer.

PM sent back.

We will post a video later containing both the working and non working AFM so we at least have some documentation of what we are describing.

In the meantime, unless someone wiser than me (not difficult in this forum) tells me its a bad idea, we are going to swap in one of our other AFM's and see if that is a cure.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: AFM issues and seeking advice Reply with quote

Quote:
Lastly, the AFM part number is 200 008 006

Better look that system over carefully before swapping in any parts. The part number you posted looks like a mis-read. 0 280 200 006 is a Beetle part number for a type 1 bug FI. Telford might be able to tell you if there are any major electrical differences.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: AFM issues and seeking advice Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
Quote:
Lastly, the AFM part number is 200 008 006

Better look that system over carefully before swapping in any parts. The part number you posted looks like a mis-read. 0 280 200 006 is a Beetle part number for a type 1 bug FI. Telford might be able to tell you if there are any major electrical differences.

Not knowing the actual story here, I would suspect the difference is in the mechanical tuning of the AFM, there might be no physical difference between the units at all, just the initial spring, wiper, bypass, and idle settings. Could also be just very minor mechanical differences like the length of the spring.
GoBigEmma
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: AFM issues and seeking advice Reply with quote

Haha! We got it!

First of all, thank you for all your great advice guys! I am also now wondering about the part number.....Even after a total rebuild, Big Emma remains full of mysteries!

The solution?!

The AFM range is definitely stopped by the flap beneath the wiper, so the part you can't see until you look into it sideways when uninstalled. That was what was stopping our wiper waaaay too far past its usual mark, in its normal position.

Using our extra AFMs, we tried to find a way to adjust the flap separate from the wiper, because this problem indicated that they had obviously somehow become misaligned.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

In the picture, you can see what the AFM looked like while misaligned. This is where it is naturally "stopped" by the air flap beneath the wiper rotor.

Eventually, we realized that was just what the tiny screw (encompassed by the plastic black piece on the pivot of the wiper) is for - the one you are never supposed to touch because it can throw all your adjustments out of whack. Well, they were already out of whack so we adjusted that so the wiper was in the same position as Murphys, approximately and - viola! Runs she does!

We will keep monitoring this problem, just in case it comes back. We think the screw may have come a bit loose and then on a particularly hearty backfire have shot the wiper and flap into misalignment. We tightened that screw down nice and tight Smile

Most of all, we were pretty proud of our ability, with your reassurance, of both diagnosing and solving the problem. I guess all that time with Robbie and Colin has, once again, paid off!

Thanks guys - we really appreciate the support Smile
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: AFM issues and seeking advice Reply with quote

The way I like to adjust the wiper it so that with the vane fully open the wiper is right at the (left) end of the resistance strip. This lets the engine get max fuel under full throttle high rpm conditions when you really need it. I then set the spring so that the mixture is correct for good response at part throttle. This might not pass smog in California though.
Happyfolk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: AFM issues and seeking advice Reply with quote

I see Colin will be at your place June 24th and he is the best anywhere to fine tune your AFM.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:15 pm    Post subject: Re: AFM issues and seeking advice Reply with quote

The top photo is yours. The bottom photo is from Mayor Richard Atwell's pages. Those pages are a great source of information on smog, tuning etc. http://www.ratwell.com . Also make sure that the door on your AFM is not bent from a backfire. It looks clean otherwise.

yours:

Mayor Atwell's

Amskeptic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:30 am    Post subject: Re: AFM issues and seeking advice Reply with quote

GoBigEmma wrote:
Haha! We got it!

Yes you did. And yes, the screw came loose. Happens. And IF you have not messed with the mixture screw or the black cog, you can get the wiper into a serviceable position by loosening the screw on a fully warmed up engine and adjusting the wiper to give you a barely noticeable but noticeable nonetheless slight uptick in rpms when you nudge the wiper 1/16" counterclockwise at idle. If the rpms should go down when you do the above, you are pig rich. If the rpms jump a lot, you are lean.
Then snug the screw.
ColinJuneIsComingUp
GoBigEmma
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: AFM issues and seeking advice Reply with quote

Happyfolk wrote:
I see Colin will be at your place June 24th and he is the best anywhere to fine tune your AFM.

Yes, totally! We will be adjusting our finally-leaving-again-in-Big-Emma schedule to specifically accommodate that Very Happy

Amskeptic wrote:
GoBigEmma wrote:
Haha! We got it!

IF you have not messed with the mixture screw or the black cog, you can get the wiper into a serviceable position by loosening the screw on a fully warmed up engine and adjusting the wiper to give you a barely noticeable but noticeable nonetheless slight uptick in rpms when you nudge the wiper 1/16" counterclockwise at idle. If the rpms should go down when you do the above, you are pig rich. If the rpms jump a lot, you are lean.

Thanks Colin!! We did not mess with the mixture screw, but we did mess with the black cog to get the wiper into place (I don't know where she was set at before the mishap). We will do some more adjusting according to the above advice in the coming days.

SGKent wrote:
Also make sure that the door on your AFM is not bent from a backfire.

Thanks Kent! It doesn't seem to be bent, but I will double check Wink

Since Big Emma is now my daily driver (woohoo!), I drove her away after fixing the mishap yesterday. Results were that, while she seemed to run just fine while warm, she ran pretty terribly while cold. The immediate solution is easy (aka thoroughly warm her up before going anywhere), but we need to solve that issue. She basically went buh-buh-buh in jerking halts in first while cold, and definitely can't get me anywhere like that. We will work on adjusting.

Thanks for all the help everyone!
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: AFM issues and seeking advice Reply with quote

If your picture below is suggestive of the final result, the arm/rod that opens the fuel pump points shows that things are way off. If the photo is a before photo then post a photo of the corrected position.

Quote:

GoBigEmma
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:13 pm    Post subject: Re: AFM issues and seeking advice Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
If your picture below is suggestive of the final result, the arm/rod that opens the fuel pump points shows that things are way off. If the photo is a before photo then post a photo of the corrected position.

Ooops, sorry Kent! The above photo is a photo of the "before" position.

This (below) is a photo of the corrected position when the engine is off:

We will readjust on Wednesday when I am at our Bus Safe Haven (my parent's house) again Smile Updates then!
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: AFM issues and seeking advice Reply with quote

that will work
GoBigEmma
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: AFM issues and seeking advice Reply with quote

As promised, here is an update with the "final" resting position at warm idle.

Thanks again for all your help guys! Man, sneaky AFM! Very Happy
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: