Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Source for Original ball joint boot retaining clips
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Daverham
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Source for Original ball joint boot retaining clips Reply with quote

Yeah, I noticed that the boot didn't quite look the same... but it fit, so I installed it. Keeps the grease in and the dirt and water out. Better than the old, ripped one! Hopefully it will last more than "weeks."

I've since ordered some Bus Depot boots, which I can confirm DO have the double-bellows, although they don't come with the clips, so together (for next time), I now have a complete set. I'll save them and just have to take that damn knuckle off again if this one (or another) decides to rupture. Oh well. Thankfully, my bus is not a daily driver, so I would hope I get at least a year out of it. If so, I'd call that a win.

Thanks for pointing it out.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pittwagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:08 am    Post subject: Re: Source for Original ball joint boot retaining clips Reply with quote

My ball joint still appear to be OK but in need of new boots. The ball joints are original and within spec. No clunking and wandering on the road. I think I will add grease fittings and boots. Just too scared of all the ball joint horror stories.

I have both Febi/Bilstein and Flennor replacement ball joints and they have the double pleats.

I thought the plastic sleeve that came in the boot kit was a replacement thread locking device.

I also have the replacement boots that Daverham used. They are under the JPGroup label.

CIP also sells these. They do not appear to have the double pleat but I will call later this am to see. Anyone used these?

https://www.cip1.ca/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=C33%2DS02251
onehappykombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2023 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Source for Original ball joint boot retaining clips Reply with quote

Daverham wrote:
Yeah, I noticed that the boot didn't quite look the same... but it fit, so I installed it. Keeps the grease in and the dirt and water out. Better than the old, ripped one! Hopefully it will last more than "weeks."

I've since ordered some Bus Depot boots, which I can confirm DO have the double-bellows, although they don't come with the clips, so together (for next time), I now have a complete set. I'll save them and just have to take that damn knuckle off again if this one (or another) decides to rupture. Oh well. Thankfully, my bus is not a daily driver, so I would hope I get at least a year out of it. If so, I'd call that a win.

Thanks for pointing it out.

Can you provide an update if your “single fold” boots lasted ??

Also, when using boots such as de Busdepot ones, can you re use the old boot clips ?

Overlanding the USA
Camper special engine build
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2023 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Source for Original ball joint boot retaining clips Reply with quote

onehappykombi wrote:

Can you provide an update if your “single fold” boots lasted ??

Also, when using boots such as de Busdepot ones, can you re use the old boot clips ?

There are quite a few different designs out there, so maybe the old retainer clips will work and maybe they will not. I have used SS wire in the past to make retainers and they have lasted well.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: