Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rear Wheel Bearing
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
keith.henige
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:10 am    Post subject: Rear Wheel Bearing Reply with quote

I removed the old 1964 transmission and axles in order to install a new (rebuilt) transmission that I purchased from a reputable parts dealer. So I am using the original axles with the new transmission. But I'm having trouble installing the rear bearings.

I'm not sure if I tapped the bearings onto the axle far enough. I noticed that when I pull outward on the axle, there seems to be some play, and the axle comes out a bit.

When I try to install the bearing cap, the bolts don't seem long enough. I have to push real hard to get the bolts to thread.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The bearings are new and made in Germany. (Well, they have Germany stamped on them.) Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Keith
vdubmyk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Wheel Bearing Reply with quote

The bearing itself will bottom out but you stated you pulled the axle out and there is play there. Is it possible you pulled the axle out too much and the fulcrum plates are now shifted to where you can't get the axle all the way in?
viiking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Wheel Bearing Reply with quote

The play in the axle in and out is normal.

Did you install the axle spacer correctly with the chamfer pointing inwards?
viiking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Wheel Bearing Reply with quote

Are you using the original tubes or did the new transmission have different tubes as there might be a difference.

Have a read of this post to see if there are any ideas from here

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=597158
keith.henige
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Wheel Bearing Reply with quote

Thanks for the suggestions.

I'm using the original tubes and axles that came with the '64 car. I was wondering if swapping out the old transmission for a new rebuilt transmission would make a difference. The folks who built the transmission were told that the new transmission would be going into a '64 year car. But looking at the invoice, it appears that the new transmission is for a '68 or later model year.

I suppose I could have installed the spacer incorrectly. But I was aware that the chamfer on the spacer was to provide room for the small oil seal.

I was also considering using emery cloth on the axle in case a burr might be hanging up the bearings. I had to remove the axle from the transmission to remove one of the bearings. I thought using good quality bearings from Germany might prevent later problems.
herbie1200
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 1:52 am    Post subject: Re: Rear Wheel Bearing Reply with quote

I swapped 6V 5x205 lugs semi-axles into a modern 1200 12V 4-lugs transmission without any problem. It is possible.
FeelthySanchez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: Rear Wheel Bearing Reply with quote

Another vote for 2 slipped fulcrum plates.
A tricky procedure to correct while the gearbox is in the vehicle, but here's what has worked for me.

Loosen trans from its mounts, raise it slightly & remove the axle tube.
Remove both fulcrum plates w/ a magnet & clean/dry 'em. Also clean all oil from the 2 radiused recesses in the side gear (where the 2 fulcrums ride).
Rotate the gearbox until the slot in the side gear is vertical - needs to be oriented per this pic.
Apply heavy grease onto the radiused faces only of the 2 fulcrums & insert them per this pic, holding both fulcrums slightly spread-open or angled (where the axle "spade" enters them) to ease insertion of the axle.
Dab a bit of gear oil on to the leading edges of the spade, & carefully insert it.
Then, wrestle the axle tube back into position & bolt it down.

Ignore the numbers, but pay attention to the slight angle shown here, this is the effect that helps:

Enough clue..Whats that mean?
OldIronSpine wrote:
I'm not sure how compression works.
Turbos don't produce torque, they produce HP. Instead of torque.
The real problem with NA engines is you don't hear the nice whine of the turbo as it spools up.
Before I commit, I'm going to do more research because I don't really know what piston rings are.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Wheel Bearing Reply with quote

It's gonna take allot of outward movement to let a fulcrum plate slip behind the axle spade.
It appears that your bearing is not far enough on the axle to get the cover plate on.
IIRC I used the handle of my floor jack to drive the bearing farther onto the axle. But a length of pipe that fits the inner race of the bearing will work too to drive the bearing onto the axle.
When the bearing is close to home. Place the cover over the axle and drive the bearing to the correct location on the axle.
Make sure that you install all the correct o-rings and seals to keep gear lube where it belongs.

Good Luck.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
61SNRF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Wheel Bearing Reply with quote

keith.henige wrote:

1-I suppose I could have installed the spacer incorrectly. But I was aware that the chamfer on the spacer was to provide room for the small oil seal.

2-I was also considering using emery cloth on the axle in case a burr might be hanging up the bearings. I had to remove the axle from the transmission to remove one of the bearings...

Do you have a service manual to refer too?

1-You were asked if you put the inner spacer on correctly, which is much thinner than the outer spacer and has a big rounded chamfer that matches the rounded step on the axle where the spines begin.
That chamfer must go towards the trans leaving its flat face outward for the inner bearing race to seat on.

It's the wider, outer spacer that has a small beveled chamfer to accommodate the small o-ring seal you mention in your reply.
I have clipped a factory pic from a 66 manual. The outer seal cover is different than yours, but the axles, spacers and bearing are identical, so you can use it as a rough reference...

2-The bearing should be a tight fit on the axle, as mentioned in another reply, it's normal to have to drive them on with a tubular drift. You DO NOT want to hammer on the outer race to drive it on, only the inner race!
With more research I could probably find you a pic of the tool, but essentially it's made from ~1-1/2" steel tubing (sized to fit snuggly over axle spines without binding and contact only the inner race) about 5-6" long.

You only need to drive it on 99% or until you can just hear/feel the noise change/seat.
Installing and tightening the drum to specs will finish pulling the assembly tight together as one.

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
viiking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Wheel Bearing Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:
It's gonna take allot of outward movement to let a fulcrum plate slip behind the axle spade.
It appears that your bearing is not far enough on the axle to get the cover plate on.
IIRC I used the handle of my floor jack to drive the bearing farther onto the axle. But a length of pipe that fits the inner race of the bearing will work too to drive the bearing onto the axle.
When the bearing is close to home. Place the cover over the axle and drive the bearing to the correct location on the axle.
Make sure that you install all the correct o-rings and seals to keep gear lube where it belongs.

Good Luck.

I agree! It's unlikely the fulcrums have slipped, unless you grossly withdrew the axle.

I would see if you can put the transmission into neutral, then attempt to rotate the axle shafts. If the axle remains roughly in place (forward and back) as you rotate the shaft, then the fulcrum plates are in place. If you rotate the axle and the fulcrum plates have come adrift, you'll probably hear the fulcrum plates moving inside the gearbox. But as I said I doubt that is your problem because your bolts are almost there, not out by inches.

When I installed by axles, I too was worried that there was forward backward movement of the shaft. I too banged on the bearing but it didn't make any difference. When I finally removed the shafts again after measuring the distance from the bearing face to the end of the axle I removed the bearing and re-measured and I found that there was no way the bearing could move any closer to the gearbox. That is, it was seated all the way in.

From recollection the bearing would protrude maybe 1/3rd of the way out from the housing when it was bottomed.

I would however caution you from too much hard banging with pipes etc, because if the bearing is truly seated then all of that force is being taken on the gearbox internals.

I would remove the bearings again, do some measurements of where you think the bearing might end up when it is seated, then use emery paper on the mating surfaces of the axle and the bearing just to ensure there are no dags preventing the bearing from seating properly.

Finally as added insurance, heat the bearing a little. Maybe in some clean oil in an old saucepan to get it a bit hotter then reinstall. Not too hot to damage of course.

Now the only other issue I see is that there are different size axles and axle tubes available, short and long. If you don't know the history of the vehicle, maybe these aren't the correct mix now, given you have a post '68 gearbox. I don't know enough about the impact of different length axle tubes on different models but it is worth investigating further.

Have a read of this forum post and it might give some more clues. By measuring what size axles and axle tubes you have it might give you some more insight.

Good luck.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=597158
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Wheel Bearing Reply with quote

A couple pics to help with a visual on the inner spacer 61SNRF was talking about.

keith.henige
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: Rear Wheel Bearing Reply with quote

Success!

Many thanks for the helpful photo and information. Thankfully, I won't have to re-set the fulcrum plates. Though I was ready to.

I noticed from this diagram that the inner spacer should be flush with the bearing housing. Also, the axle didn't make any noise as I rotated the axle shaft as Viiking suggested. When I removed the bearings, I could see that the inner racer was flush as it should be.

So, I wet sanded the axle shaft with 800 and 1000 grit using the shoe lace trick. Then reassembled following the diagrams VERY carefully. The bearings were still tight, but went on much more smoothly. I listened for the change in pitch as I "tapped" on the bearings. This time I had no trouble bolting on the cover.

Still can't figure what I did wrong, but both bearings did not seem to be in far enough.

Thank you once again. This was my first question to the forum and this community is terrific!!

Keith

viiking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Wheel Bearing Reply with quote

Good to hear your problem has been solved.

Yes, this forum is fantastic. We've all been in your situation and there are always forum people who have had your particular issue before AND are willing to give help.

I do encourage you to use the search function. I prefer to use the Google Custom search at the top of the page as it seems to give me a better search than just searching for particular words in the title. It just seems that you get answers to a lot of other questions when you search for a different problem and you just get to know your car so much better.

If after searching you don't get the answer, the by all means post the question as there are lots of permutations of particular problems.

Good luck with the rest of the build and keep another bug alive!
Joey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 5:35 am    Post subject: Re: Rear Wheel Bearing Reply with quote

No need to tap, pound, beat the bearing on to the axle. As mentioned above it's not good for the internal transmission parts. Install inner spacer, bearing then the drum. Carefully tighten the axle nut until it bottoms out (nut runs out of thread). Remove drum and install outter spacer and drum again then tighted all the way - the bearing is now fully seated on the axle.

‘60 Kombi - '74 Bus - '79 Panel - '65 Beetle
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
keith.henige
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: Rear Wheel Bearing Reply with quote

Thank you, Joey. I'll remember that trick next time.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: