Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bad Bug
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
tcmia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Bad Bug Reply with quote

Thanks for the nice comments. Few more things added. Got the steering assembly in and wires connected. Turns signals are working, lights are working. I tried to find a battery locally, but none of the stores had one in stock but i did find a used one that works and fits. Ok for now. With the key in the starter turns. Great sound. My seats are not yet in, but i think i will go and get gas next to see if it also fires up.

I re-striped the fender mirrors and got those mounted.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
tcmia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Bad Bug Reply with quote

Got it running pretty good today. Installed the driver seat temporarily to see where i can mount my seat belts. Checked voltage and the generator is not charging. Used the polarizing method posted here but it did not work. The regulator i cannot test until i have voltage from the generator. Would it be better with an alternator from cip1? Do i need to change the stand also or will it work with the existing. I do need a different size belt too, no?

stevemariott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Bad Bug Reply with quote

If a generator works well, then great. But if it's not working, and you have the money for it, a new alternator is nice.

I ran generators for years without issue, but when I rewired my buggy a few years back I couldn't get either of my 2 generators on hand to work. Tried everything, tried multiple regulators - wouldn't charge. After reading hit and miss reviews of Bosch generators and alternators, I bought a new Chinese alternator at the local VW parts house, wired it up, and it works great.

You'll likely have to change your stand unless it already looks like the one below. You may need a slightly different belt size as well. Don't forget the big socket to remove your fan assembly from your generator.

tcmia wrote:
Got it running pretty good today. Installed the driver seat temporarily to see where i can mount my seat belts. Checked voltage and the generator is not charging. Used the polarizing method posted here but it did not work. The regulator i cannot test until i have voltage from the generator. Would it be better with an alternator from cip1? Do i need to change the stand also or will it work with the existing. I do need a different size belt too, no?

tcmia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 7:07 am    Post subject: Re: Bad Bug Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip and the picture of the right stand. I was wondering what makes them different. I believe mine looks like the on with the hole by the filler is towards the bottom. I have an electric fuel pump so the current setup might work. I will go for an alternator and maybe see if i can figure out whats wrong with the generator once its out.

Have one seat in and the seat belt mounted on that side.
tcmia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 6:50 am    Post subject: Re: Bad Bug Reply with quote

Last night I took the alternator out. I had to remove the carb linkage, loosen the fan housing and take out the stand to be able to remove the generator assembly. I found a wire that had come loose from the d+ bolt. I re-soldered it and it only puts out 6V so something else is wrong with it. I have a alternator coming, hopefully by end of this week to reassemble everything. I already spliced the blue wire from the idiot light to the one that goes to the new alternator. Still need to connect the positive output from the generator that now goes to the regulator to the battery. Would the starter positive be ok, too? The cable is not long enough to go all the way to the battery.
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: Bad Bug Reply with quote

I always run the wire from the alternator to the battery cable lug on the starter.

brad
MrGoodtunes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Bad Bug Reply with quote

Keep in mind that that "B+" wire is HOT, and UN-fused. So it needs to be well insulated from ground; and kept away from metal surfaces where it could touch, flop about over bumpy roads, or rub due to engine vibrations. I keep mine inside of ribbed plastic conduit:

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tcmia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Bad Bug Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips. I changed the wiring as you suggested and installed the alternator. I thought i needed a longer belt, but it seems i need a shorter one? Did i get something messed up? It is charging good.

tcmia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2020 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: Bad Bug Reply with quote

Worked on the double ended pink and yellow hood stripes and installed the front bumper. When those stripes are dry i continue on the curvy lines. Pink first and then yellow.

tcmia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Bad Bug Reply with quote

Today i finished the pin striping on the hood. I have come to appreciate the tremendous talent those of you have that are masters in this technique. I was able to redo some of the still existing shapes and recreate in the missing lines.
It would probably have been easier with a blanc canvas, but i wanted to restore the art work to as close as it was originally. Not as perfect as the artist created it but pleased with the outcome. I take so e better pictures when the weather cooperates. I have once are on the rear fender that i need to finish.

tcmia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:54 am    Post subject: Re: Bad Bug Reply with quote

Bumper is back on. Coated with bedliner stuff as the chrome was too pitted and rusted. I might paint it instead at some other time, but for now i like it.

tcmia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Bad Bug Reply with quote

Not much progress this week so far. Busy t work shifting gears due to the covid-19. I did get the windshield wipers installed and the actually work. Kinda cool. They never worked not in 1993 when my friend bought it, actually there was no wiring for them. I connected the terminal for the fast wipe, but i think slow is good enough.

Now i am putting the project on hold for right now and start sewing washable masks for my coworkers, general office staff, and the evening cleaning crew. I work in a pediatrics office and masks are in high demand.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 4:23 am    Post subject: Re: Bad Bug Reply with quote

That is an amazing car and you are definitely doing it justice!
tcmia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: Bad Bug Reply with quote

Thanks for the encouraging words.
Yesterday I had a little time. I worked some on my wiring to make it neat. Also bled the brakes again. A couple bubbles exited in the rear. Maybe this weekend I can see if they work a little better. Should I sand the drum braking surface some to brake the glaze, or is that a waste of time?
MrGoodtunes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Bad Bug Reply with quote

tcmia wrote:
... Should I sand the drum braking surface some to brake the glaze ...

It may be a waste of time, but I always do it anyway; I also use carb cleaner spray on the drum. Be careful NOT to breath in any of the dust that sanding (or sometimes I have to use a metal file) creates, 'cuz it probably contains asbestos, which is probably as bad or worse than coronavirus!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Bad Bug Reply with quote

It would certainly do no harm.
tcmia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Bad Bug Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. I cleaned the outside and inside from rust but i will take them off again and roughen up the brake surface. I drove it up and down the drive way a couple time and it feels better. Cool i can do this this weekend.
tcmia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: Bad Bug Reply with quote

Just a little progress. Did not work on the brakes.
It used to have neon tube antennas on the rear fenders, but they were gone. Left were the plastic adapters and 2 holes, so i left the adapters used 2 alu stubby antennas with some CB750 finned valve covers. They don't do anything other than go with the look the bug has. Took it out of the garage to see how it looks in the daylight.

tcmia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:12 am    Post subject: Re: Bad Bug Reply with quote

I have wired in the Tach and the oil pressure gauge. Quite exciting that things actually still work. Also hocked up the radio and quite amazed that the small under seat speaker boxes work pretty good. Still more things to do. Hopefully my tires arrive today. Kinda hard to find 215/60-15s fro the front, but I did find some 205/60-15s. I hope i can find a place locally to install them since most places are closed.
tcmia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 8:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Bad Bug Reply with quote

Some more progress today. Finished the wiring except for the neon lights it originally had installed. My passenger seat is in and both seat belts work. I have the rear seat back in. I changed back to the round steering wheel, the other one is nice, but not enough space between the steering wheels and the turn signal lever.
Hopefully i can get some more things done this weekend.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8

Jump to: