Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bad Bug
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 9:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Bad Bug Reply with quote

tcmia wrote:
I have wired in the Tach and the oil pressure gauge. Quite exciting that things actually still work. Also hocked up the radio and quite amazed that the small under seat speaker boxes work pretty good. Still more things to do. Hopefully my tires arrive today. Kinda hard to find 215/60-15s fro the front, but I did find some 205/60-15s. I hope i can find a place locally to install them since most places are closed.

I'd be amazed they worked too, damn that musta hurt coming up Very Happy

Looking great.
tcmia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Bad Bug Reply with quote

Well the radio and speakers are not from back in the day. It had an old Blaupunkt tape receiver and one tiny 4” speaker in the passenger foot area.

I forgot that the top also had a bunch of lines. Working on those today.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
tcmia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Bad Bug Reply with quote

Also added some lines on the pulleys.

irvanm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Bad Bug Reply with quote

my favorite dune buggy ever.
tcmia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: Bad Bug Reply with quote

Thank you!

Today i am working more on the top. Finished carpeting the inside. Very hard for me. So many curves, but it looks good. Now i am trying to polish the paint. Lots of elbow grease but its coming along nicely. The tiny striping is really coming alive. I would not have been able to redo those.

There is some black guey stuff on the sections that sit on the body. Paint thinner is slowly dissolving it.

slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: Bad Bug Reply with quote

Applause Applause Dancing Applause Applause
Applause Dancing Applause Applause Applause
Applause Applause Applause Dancing Applause
Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Bad Bug Reply with quote

That pinstriping is amazing! I just can't get enough of it!
tcmia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Bad Bug Reply with quote

Thanks. The person that Originally did it, is a true artist. It also was and is my favorite part of this buggy. My dad calls it art on wheels.

This weekend I am working on the front ant (bug) neon sign. I have tested the neon sign with the transformer and it does light up. I needed to repaint the black covering on the tubes that are supposed to be dark. Waiting on it to dry. Polished up the clear front cover and got most of the haze off. I need to do the same to the rear plate make a new mounting for it that has some form of vibration damping just in case.

tcmia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Bad Bug Reply with quote

Got the bug mounted. Not super happy with the bolts, but will get some different ones. Added grommets between the neon and the back plate and some grommets between the plate ant the hood part.

tcmia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: Bad Bug Reply with quote

Replaces some of the cracked high voltage wiring and connected the transformer to test it. It became alive. Cool!

oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 4:15 am    Post subject: Re: Bad Bug Reply with quote

That is a one off totally unique feature!
tcmia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 6:09 am    Post subject: Re: Bad Bug Reply with quote

Thanks.

This weekend I was going to work on the extra lights. So seats are back out, and more relays and wires go in. Originally it came with 30 some feet of real neon lights, but since I was not sure if I can get them to work I was going to replace all of them with LED's. None of the neon was working when I picked up the car, but I dissembled it all and stored it for later.

Now that I have the front neon sign repaired, I was curious of the other ones. I worked on the under fender lights and after replacing some of the high voltage wires, they lit up. So I polished the clear plastic outer tubes and reinstalled them.

I compared to LED somehow this real neon stuff is hard to imitate, a lot softer, so I am rolling with it as long as it lasts. Next trying to piece together the under chassis tubes.

It had 2 circuits, one under and one inside. 3 of the many tubes were broken, but I pieced together this set. One for inside and the other under and inside the engine area. I have to work out the high voltage wire routing to make this work with what I have.

They are not installed yet or polished. just under the car to see how it would look.
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 9:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Bad Bug Reply with quote

I love seeing those '80's style VWs show cars brought back to life in their original glory. The aluminum, the paint and striping was something I remember from the VW magazines when growing up. Thank you for sharing your work bringing that wonderful buggy back to life. My first buggy didn't have any striping, but it had under body neon lights, including purple tubes up high under the sides like yours, where they can really project the light out to the sides.

Neon wiring can be treated a lot like spark plug wiring. The heavy insulated wire (typically black GTO-15) keeps the high voltage from finding a place to arc to ground. You should avoid securing that wire directly to any grounded metal for the same reason it is a bad idea with spark plug wires. You can buy the wiring and insulation boots from any well stocked sign supply shop. I don't know if I have posted this old photo before.

Last edited by EVfun on Wed May 20, 2020 12:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ulu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: Bad Bug Reply with quote

When I saw that purple glow, I immediately thought of a rolling bug zapper.

Very Happy

I'm used to having insects collect on my radiator, but now that I've bought an air-cooled again, no radiator to plug up with dried wings and chitin. Now they'll be frying on my fins.

Anyhow, the pinstriping is outrageous and the whole car will draw lots of compliments.

And probably a big trophy with a chrome beetle on top.

So good luck!
tcmia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 7:29 am    Post subject: Re: Bad Bug Reply with quote

EVfun, that dash light is super! Thanks Ulu. I have been watching your build. Back in the day I went to see the showroom of the Gazelle vehicles in Miami. I was itching to build one, but did not think I had the skills to finish one.

This week i am finishing up the top and see if it still fits after sitting off the car for one year. The old surfboard may be beyond repair, but my sister is bringing me one from Virginia in a couple of weeks. I will try to repaint is as close as possible to the other one.
tcmia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Bad Bug Reply with quote

Got some help today and put the top on. Rear fits pretty good, the front not so much. Will have to tweak something a little to get ti to sit right on the windshield and get to align the mounting holes.

tcmia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Bad Bug Reply with quote

Also finished gluing i the third brake light into the oval rear window.

EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Bad Bug Reply with quote

tcmia wrote:
Also finished gluing i the third brake light into the oval rear window.

That 3rd brake light is wicked cool! (to borrow from the era Cool ) A nice safety touch in the spirit of the style. Is that light neon too? That first buggy of mine once upon a time had a red neon license plate frame wired as a 3rd brake light. Busting for neon was "all the rage" so I switch to green front and rear neon license plate frames (and not run them except when parked.)

You will see I dropped another photo from one of your previous posts in place of the second picture you had in this post. I noticedthe top on your "Bad Bug" and another very similar top in the background on the trailer. Does the other fit better? With the top on the car in the picture it seems like your windshield is supposed to be more vertical to fit . That may or may not be possible or practical.

I love the aluminum sides! Considered doing that to my purple buggy, but never did. The aluminum wheels, fake spinners, wild pink accents -- that brings back memories of VWs of my youth. In my current buggy it is about hinting to an even earlier hot rod look but you make me miss those cars that my wife would refer to as "tacky." Applause

P.S. - I'm considering giving my current build a tall shifter so a glass door knob shows through the windshield, my wife thinks that is "tacky" too. LOL
tcmia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 7:34 am    Post subject: Re: Bad Bug Reply with quote

Thanks. Originally It had a neon tube in the back windows that was also the pink color, but it was broken when I picked up the car a year ago. It probably broke when they had removed the top at some point due to the thick wires hooked up to the tube. I considered another neon tube, but opted for the led silicon tube because it makes the wires easier to connect and the ability to use it for a third brake light.
the top on the trailer is part of the trailer. They had it made to haul all the stuff to set up for a show in it. It still has some of those items in it.

I think i need to loosen the window frame and hood bolts a little to shift it so that the holes align again.

The sides are actually brushed stainless steel panels an there is one on the underside too. The spinners used to be chrome, but it was terribly rusted and pitted. So i sanded them and painted them gloss black and added the Wolfsburg center cap from a current VW. I am considering getting black lugs.

I do like the idea of a long shifter. It would go with the theme. Now it has one of those empi reverse lock out things. It had a blue neon tube shifter know on it, but it was so bad I could not get it back to work. I leave the long shifter idea for a future upgrade.
Ulu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: Bad Bug Reply with quote

The little trailer is really cool.

Does the trailer hitch have a motor mount on the back?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8

Jump to: