Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bad Bug
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
tcmia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Bad Bug Reply with quote

Finished the surfboard last night.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

tcmia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Bad Bug Reply with quote

My straps Have arrived and i made some new gutter hooks to mount the board.
Between rain i took the buggy out to see how it looks with some sunshine.

I am pleased on how it looks for now.
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Bad Bug Reply with quote

Hell Ya! Dancing
tcmia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: Bad Bug Reply with quote

Thanks!
Last week I mustered up and went downtown to get it tagged and insured. I have not felt comfortable to do so before with all the covid stuff going on and the limited access they provided at those offices. It's done now.
I went for the first longer but only 5 mile ride. Nothing fell off and it did not burn to the ground. Wink For the first time since 93 it went thru all the gears on its own power. I do need to replace my rear tires. It shakes quite a bit after hitting 40. (Those were on the car in 93 so no wonder) They are 275/60/15. No local places have any in stock. What would be a relative reasonably priced option that I can order? Is there another size compatible with the ones that are on it? I don't realy want to go shorter or I have to adjust the rear suspension accordingly.
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Bad Bug Reply with quote

The car looks fantastic. WELL DONE!! Applause Applause Applause

I always take a new build out for a series of short trips, then bring it back to the garage and give it a good going over

brad
tcmia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:30 am    Post subject: Re: Bad Bug Reply with quote

Yes. I have been doing exactly that. On my first longer drive I had my sister following me just in case. I have had some electrical issues but those are sorted out. The headlights I have are not illuminating anything so I an changing those out. Yesterday I replaced the rear shocks with air shocks to adjust the rear height. They had made some weird shock mounting points so I had to modify these to use the air shocks. They needed to have more clearance to the chassis, since the body is wider. With 20 psi the wheels are sorta tucked in and on 120 PSI nice and straight. No air management system yet. I might do some in the future. About 5" of height travel.
Sorry for the mess in the picture. I had to spread out a bunch of tools to do this. It has been raining, otherwise I'd take the bug outside for a better picture.

tcmia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: Bad Bug Reply with quote

No rain today. Took it to work. Still have some backfiring on the left side when backing off the gas. The air shocks in the back feel great. So glad i put those in and the height is adjustable.
Ulu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: Bad Bug Reply with quote

LOL...you must have good parking lot security or a big window.

My office overlooked the parking lot, so I never worried much about my stuff, but I wasn't driving an open car.
tcmia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 5:46 am    Post subject: Re: Bad Bug Reply with quote

It is pretty safe here so far and only coworkers park here behind the office.

This weekend I had time to do some work. It was raining again all weekend. I Wanted to replace the plastic lower shifter cover. The shifter was missing the rubber collar and the plastic thingy never really stayed in place. I also have a rectangular neon loop that surrounds the shifter. I really wanted something of a boot and "neon tray" combined. I had ordered a generic vinyl leather grain shifter boot with purple stitching and made up some cardboard template first.

I welded some tabs to the shifter base with some threads to bold on the steel surround, added the boot and glued it to the steel plate. Now I can unbolt it from the shifter, lift it and have access to the bolts that attach it to the tunnel. Pretty please with the outcome. Also added some clear with purple flake to the knob. I did install it but it was already late in the evening. Neon sits nice on the new ledge and it is a little more cushioned by the boot than sitting on the bare tunnel.
tcmia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Bad Bug Reply with quote

Ok. I was cleaning up the Centerline's and noticed that some of the wheels studs always come out when removing the lugnuts. Am I supposed to use loctite or any other product to secure them in the drums?
Busted Knuckle Garage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 5:29 am    Post subject: Re: Bad Bug Reply with quote

Very cool buggy. One of a kind for sure. Great work and craftsmanshi.
tcmia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 7:45 am    Post subject: Re: Bad Bug Reply with quote

Thank you for the kind words. The fact I have come that far already is thanks to all the good advise and great build threads on here.

Not much done in the last couple of weeks. I do start it up every week or so. I received the correct size wheel stud. Not sure If I should put some lock tight on these. I spent a couple of hours working on the small trailer it came with. Seems to be and old Northern Tool trailer frame. I have it disassembled and am working on wire wheeling the frame and doing rust treatment. I am playing with some ideas on what to do with it. As it was it looks odd with a rooftop carrier on it covered with an extra buggy hard top.
andygere
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 3:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Bad Bug Reply with quote

tcmia wrote:
Ok. I was cleaning up the Centerline's and noticed that some of the wheels studs always come out when removing the lugnuts. Am I supposed to use loctite or any other product to secure them in the drums?

If you are using thread-in studs, use blue Locktite on the stud to drum thread at a minimum. I had some that were fixed with red Locktite, and they were very difficult to get out when I wanted to. If you are using the EMPI studs, they are poor quality and need to be replaced from time to time, so I’d use blue.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 5:09 am    Post subject: Re: Bad Bug Reply with quote

Use some anti seize, a bit of grease or a couple drops of oil on the studs and nuts every time you take them off and you will find that even the cheap studs last a long time. Dry threads are hard to torque properly and wear out prematurely.
tcmia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 7:07 am    Post subject: Re: Bad Bug Reply with quote

Cool. thanks for both tips.
I think there are at least 2 types of studs and the replacements I received were EMPI. Now its too cold to drive it, but I am working on replacing the front drums, so that would be a good time to try your suggestions. So far I have switched the bearings of the passenger side. I was happy to see that the passenger side were good German SKF bearings. Will see what the other side shows.
tcmia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: Bad Bug Reply with quote

My coil relocation bracket arrived. So i went to work on it. Some cleanup, paint and polish and adapt it to my coil mount. Quite happy how it turned out.
The grooves on the coil cover need some help. Not sure yet how to go about that.

sailtexas186548
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: Bad Bug Reply with quote

Aluminum? If so a nylon bristle “wire wheel” in a dremmel should clean them, but u can remove aluminum if you are not careful
tcmia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:01 am    Post subject: Re: Bad Bug Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip. I should have one of those. I will give it a try.
tcmia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Bad Bug Reply with quote

I had some medical issues, so I did not do much at all. Now I have a question. If I remove my intake manifolds, are the thin metal gaskets that go between the head and the manifolds, reusable or do I need to get some new ones?
Tom_Kathleen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Bad Bug Reply with quote

They are 1 time use (if they work at all). Replace with gasket material versions. Like these -https://www.cbperformance.com/product-p/2721.htm. Tom
Manxter #16, 1968 Meyers Manx & Kick-Out SS #16 (WIP)
Manx Club & CVA
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8

Jump to: