Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fuel gauge suggestions?
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
JMCFAN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:12 am    Post subject: Fuel gauge suggestions? Reply with quote

Manx style buggy....new tank and will order a new sending unit. new rebel harness which has sending unit and gauge wires. Looking for something I can mount in the dash....???
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel gauge suggestions? Reply with quote

If you are running a stock gas tank and a stock speedometer then I recommend using a '68 or new Bug speedometer with a built in gas gauge. The 5 bolt VW pattern is not the same as the standard aftermarket 5 bolt pattern. All handled with stock parts for almost stock accuracy (buggies usually have the fuel tank mounted at a slightly different angle than stock.)

If you are going aftermarket sender I would recommend a marine style reed switch fuel gauge sender, such as this. I have a 6 inch version of that installed in my new gas tank. The manufacturers of these offer matching fuel gauges in a standard style 2 inch round.

If you are going aftermarket with the gauge I recommend the same brand and style as the rest of your dash, or something from another brand chosen to look good alongside your other gauges. You need to pick a gauge that has a reading scale that matches your sender. Stock VW is a 73-10 ohms (empty to full.) Ford and Mopar used this scale on some cars too so aftermarket gauges in this range are available. Most aftermarket senders are the Stewart Warner standard of 240-33 ohms (empty to full.) Gas gauges in this scale are very common.

The common aftermarket sender bolt pattern is a 4.25 inch (108mm) diameter circle with a non-equal screw pattern of 72, 68, 80, 68, 72 degrees apart. I don't know what the stock VW pattern is.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: