Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

EMPI GT Single Tip Muffler? Does not fit my bus
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrPolak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 1:13 pm    Post subject: EMPI GT Single Tip Muffler? Does not fit my bus Reply with quote

I purchased this EMPI GT Single Tip muffler. ISP West Listing on eBay stated it fits '63 to '71 Type 2 Bus. Has anyone installed these?

Here is the muffler:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

My apron hits the body of the muffler. I need about 1 more inch of clearance which I can not achieve without cutting my apron. The tailpipe clear fine. The muffler protrudes too far back.

Here the area that hits is marked yellow:

Yes, I have two cutouts in my apron. Both look factory, though. Apron is not bent or otherwise modified:

Here is showing how much more I would need to push in my apron:

DubStyle
SBS Hit Squad

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: EMPI GT Single Tip Muffler? Does not fit my bus Reply with quote

Without seeing how it attaches to the heater box...

Did you try sliding it further on to the heater box tubes?

SBS #1
SBS #1 on FB

"The original & best lowered Split Bus website/club"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VW BRETT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: EMPI GT Single Tip Muffler? Does not fit my bus Reply with quote

I put one on my 1963 singlecab, same issue I just pulled the apron away enough to leave about an inch of space between the muffler and the apron, works fine and has not burnt the paint or even discolored it, its hard to even notice, works great and sounds good. you may also have to push the exhaust tip down a little to clear the bumper I just pushed down on it after it was installed.
20 ATLAS
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Harleyelf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: EMPI GT Single Tip Muffler? Does not fit my bus Reply with quote

I had a similar issue with EMPI mufflers from Jbugs. The dual-tip hit my apron and the single did not. Manufacturing tolerances.
VW BRETT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: EMPI GT Single Tip Muffler? Does not fit my bus Reply with quote

when I say pulled I mean bend the apron away from the muffler, the apron is still bolted in the correct place
20 ATLAS
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
flemcadiddlehopper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: EMPI GT Single Tip Muffler? Does not fit my bus Reply with quote

I started to put one of those on my bus ('67) . I ended up shortening the rear two primary pipes and rewelding the flange back on to help with the clearance issues.

Those mufflers have other issues I feel the need to inform you about. They are very restrictive in their flow. The two merged pipes that enter the muffler are joined together inside the muffler (straight at each other) and that pipe has about 24, 5/16" holes in it that all your exhaust must flow through, then pass into another pipe through another 13 holes to flow out the tailpipe.

Here is the inside of one.

Those dual carbs are not going to like it. A stock exhaust would most likely out -flow it.

Gordo.

Retrograde Garage. Vintage Aircooled, and others.
MrPolak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: EMPI GT Single Tip Muffler? Does not fit my bus Reply with quote

flemcadiddlehopper wrote:
I started to put one of those on my bus ('67) . I ended up shortening the rear two primary pipes and rewelding the flange back on to help with the clearance issues.

Those mufflers have other issues I feel the need to inform you about. They are very restrictive in their flow. The two merged pipes that enter the muffler are joined together inside the muffler (straight at each other) and that pipe has about 24, 5/16" holes in it that all your exhaust must flow through, then pass into another pipe through another 13 holes to flow out the tailpipe.

Here is the inside of one.

Those dual carbs are not going to like it. A stock exhaust would most likely out -flow it.

Gordo.

Yikes! Thanks for sharing that! I did end up with a stock muffler. I notice a little power loss from the old Gene Berg single quiet pack..
MrPolak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: EMPI GT Single Tip Muffler? Does not fit my bus Reply with quote

A compilation of the muffler saga:

Link
VW BRETT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: EMPI GT Single Tip Muffler? Does not fit my bus Reply with quote

My single cab is close to stock with a stock single carb, The muffler helped with the performance a bit but the best part for me was the sound. My truck is a rat and I thought it needed a better sound.
20 ATLAS
Kokaninus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2022 7:25 am    Post subject: Re: EMPI GT Single Tip Muffler? Does not fit my bus Reply with quote

VW BRETT wrote:
I put one on my 1963 singlecab, same issue I just pulled the apron away enough to leave about an inch of space between the muffler and the apron, works fine and has not burnt the paint or even discolored it, its hard to even notice, works great and sounds good. you may also have to push the exhaust tip down a little to clear the bumper I just pushed down on it after it was installed.

Hi Brett
I have the same issue with the exhaust tip hitting the bumper, how did you pushed it down?
Best regards from Denmark
NUTSFORBUSES
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2022 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: EMPI GT Single Tip Muffler? Does not fit my bus Reply with quote

""ISP West Listing on eBay stated it fits '63 to '71 Type 2 Bus""

My opinion, above is the problem. They just buy products and they are type 3 guys like Jbugs are Bug guys.

I would've posed the question on the Samba, and someone would/know/ have it.

I used A1, but a bit $$, but worth every penny ! Stainless - Tiger is the best guy.
The guys in Taiwan have a nice exhaust too, but You Better act fast !
PIMPPRIDE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2022 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: EMPI GT Single Tip Muffler? Does not fit my bus Reply with quote

NUTSFORBUSES wrote:

My opinion, above is the problem. They just buy products and they are type 3 guys like Jbugs are Bug guys.

your wrong, we specialize in type 3 but do it all, full restorations, lots of buses too, not just slinging parts

if you have questions just ask.. .

in the past, we have used and sold many of these for/on buses ( last time I checked EMPI was out of stock on these )

I have one on my own '65 bus, I'll post a few photos below

Anthony / ISP WEST

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Kokaninus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2022 12:00 am    Post subject: Re: EMPI GT Single Tip Muffler? Does not fit my bus Reply with quote

PIMPPRIDE wrote:
NUTSFORBUSES wrote:

your wrong, we specialize in type 3 but do it all, full restorations, lots of buses too, not just slinging parts

if you have questions just ask.. .

in the past, we have used and sold many of these for/on buses ( last time I checked EMPI was out of stock on these )

I have one on my own '65 bus, I'll post a few photos below

Anthony / ISP WEST

Nice bus! Smile

Do you have a fix to get clearance between muffler tip and bumper on a 67 split?
I think its about 1 inch my tip has to be lowered,
Right now my bumper is crooked due to the tip sitting too high.

Best regards

Kenneth - Denmark
PIMPPRIDE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2022 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: EMPI GT Single Tip Muffler? Does not fit my bus Reply with quote

in the past, I have had success with inserting a wooden shovel handle or thick broomstick in the tailpipe and pushing down on it with my foot, bending the tip down to clear

not the best technique, but it works

the more professional way would be to apply some heat to the bend of the pipe to release the tension on the bent curve while making the adjustment

Anthony / ISP WEST
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2022 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: EMPI GT Single Tip Muffler? Does not fit my bus Reply with quote

MrPolak wrote:
A compilation of the muffler saga:

Link

Thank you for posting this compilation. I have chosen the stock style. Very helpful.

p.s. the no-muffler interlude with the gasket toss was entertaining Very Happy
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: