Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Provent 200
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
rmcd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 9:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Provent 200 Reply with quote

Hmmm. Scratching head about warning not to use silicon hoses for this application with a warning from silicon hose.com website.

Here is another quote from their silicon intake hose catalog.

“Our standard silicone hose products are not suitable for use with pressurized oil or fuel. We do, however, offer special Fluorocarbon and Fluorosilicone liners that offer superior chemical resistance. Please contact our engineering department for more details or for support in designing a chemical resistant hose to meet your specific requirements.

Meets and exceeds all performance and physical criteria of SAE J20 R1, SAE J20 R1 H.T. Class A, TMC RP303B Grade I and Grade II, Mil Spec A-A-52426 and various other heavy-duty OEM specifications.

Excellent ozone and UV resistance.
Commonly used in the following applications: Turbo, supercharger or Intercooler connections or virtually any air to air application where high temperatures or extreme working conditions exist. This product works well for offset piping connections or where extreme vibration or lateral movement exists. The hose is convoluted on both the inside and outside.”

I hear the argument for not using for a pressurized oil or fuel delivery system.

And then they sell intake hoses made of unlined silicon? Certaintly intake charge hose experience boost pressure with vaporize oil at 20psi. Which is a lot of pressure. However they sell it!?

Not sure what to think.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
beach_creature
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 10:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Provent 200 Reply with quote

My silicone hoses always weep oil. Hopefully now that the Provent is installed, the intake hoses will be dry.

Yes, using silicone for the crank venting, I’m fine with it. They will last long enough.

The silicone intake hoses have become a lot softer than original. Probably not as strong now. I’m curious to see if they become firmer over time without the oil running through them all the time.

Yes, oil on silicone is very slippery. For a while I was blowing hoses apart at their joiners. Tighter hose clamps now and surface prep and hasn’t been a problem since. I have also replaced a few of the joiners with ribbed aluminum ones over the smooth stainless ones I had prior.
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 6:03 am    Post subject: Re: Provent 200 Reply with quote

I feel by 'pressurized' they are referring to Fuel supply and Oil cooler pressures.
I doubt and have had no issues of silicone hoses on the intake and oil vapor systems.. ~20psi isn't really that much to be concerned about..

no you shouldn't use 'smooth' joiners in a boost carrying hose. chalk that up to a lesson learned. and hopefully will inform someone new of the same fact.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
beach_creature
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Provent 200 Reply with quote

Update on this. It’s been 10,000 km with the Provent 200 installed. This thing removes all the excess oil coming through the PCV / hockey puck. This has done away with oil in the intercooler piping and with oil seeping out the joints and dripping.

Should have done this ages ago. It’s the only thing that stopped the oil leak. Leveling the hockey puck did not change anything. Neither did changing the turbo oil drain angle and feeding it into the oil pan.

The Provent 200 takes the win!

I used the check valve and have it draining into the block where the turbo oil return used to go. I used the same banjo from the return line. It was not babed, and the line blew off. Since had a banjo 3/8” barb with 3/8 hose crimped. Then compression fitting to the check valve.
The theading into the block is 16mm I believe.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: