Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Gumby Gets a Makeover then... Gets Totaled
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Gumby Gets a Makeover then... Gets Totaled Reply with quote

Mastern wrote:
I’ll be taking the gofundme down. Just doesn’t feel right asking strangers for money. Especially not knowing the outcome of the insurance settlement yet. Thought itd be ok after getting recommended it by a few people but it’s just not for me.

Brother, I totally get how awkward that feels. But it breaks my heart to hear you're taking it down.

Perhaps put it in limbo until actual losses are clearer? YES, the drunken idiot's insurer SHOULD pay every nickel -- but that is NOT the way it's likely to play out in real world USA, and especially in not recouping your sweat equity nor your stresses of incident and otherwise.

I meant what I said in a post above about helping out with dough if you need it, but hope that hasn't backfired. I can appreciate the above comment about some having had worse things happen, but have absolutely no idea why that should be a consideration here if compared to not having had this massive loss at all. I find comparing to be bad or inconsequential when used in such terms, fact is you've had a helluva hit in many ways.

Thought I heard through the grapevine that there WERE some injuries, is that right? Meaning physical injuries, beyond the obvious emotional impacts here that will last at least until you have a new van that's as nice as the old van and that could be years!

Don't feel weird about letting forum sisters and brothers help. I can say with absolute clarity it was the only good thing to come out of our crash. A Great Thing, in fact.

All the best and please keep us posted!!! Cool

— Colin Chapman
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
markswagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Gumby Gets a Makeover then... Gets Totaled Reply with quote

nate, you should leave it here, if folk don't want to help, that's on them, if some feel strongly enough to give you a hard time about it, ignore them i'm sure if the boot was on the other foor they would have very different views on it.
it makes me sad that you felt the need to take it down, think on putting it back.

Mastern wrote:
I’ll be taking the gofundme down. Just doesn’t feel right asking strangers for money. Especially not knowing the outcome of the insurance settlement yet. Thought itd be ok after getting recommended it by a few people but it’s just not for me.

619 201 0310
VdubVanner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Gumby Gets a Makeover then... Gets Totaled Reply with quote

Good luck with the settlement. I'd be crushed if that happened to my rebuild after all the work put into it. Thankfully, you both walked away from that accident. All the best!
Mastern
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Gumby Gets a Makeover then... Gets Totaled Reply with quote

michaelbteam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Gumby Gets a Makeover then... Gets Totaled Reply with quote

We certainly sympathize with your misfortune, and many of us have had our share; and many of those misfortunes far worse than the loss of a vehicle.
It may take quite an effort, but the most legitimate course of action is with your insurance company. Just IMHO, no offense intended.
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Gumby Gets a Makeover then... Gets Totaled Reply with quote

Are you sure about that? Did you settle with their insurance company? You were the one hit. I think the insurance company should pay 100% and thank their lucky stars that no one was injured.

Don't take their 1st (or second) offer and be careful what you post here.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mastern
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: Gumby Gets a Makeover then... Gets Totaled Reply with quote

Well, after much deliberation and recommendations, I went ahead and created a gofundme for the replacement of gumby. This is really kind of awkward for me but here it is. Obviously I’m not expecting to get close to what we had into the van back from insurance and I can’t even begin to think about the time and sweat equity. Hopefully this can help offset it for my wife and I a little bit and help get us into another Westy that we trust like we trusted gumby. I am already truly grateful and humbled by the incredible support from everyone here. Thank you so much

Last edited by Mastern on Mon Sep 02, 2019 3:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: Gumby Gets a Makeover then... Gets Totaled Reply with quote

^^^ Great advice.

This may be a case of presentation, presentation, presentation.

In ours, I had all receipts from purchase. I scanned all of them and built a PDF booklet, and a cost/value chart of all upgrade costs, expected life of those vs actual life, and pro-rated amounts. Most pro-rations were based on mileage (like a tranny rebuild with significant upgrades), some on years of expected use (anything where wear is by age, not miles).

I highlighted upgrades on receipts so they could see those separate from maintenance, and tell I was being straight up and knew the difference.

I can't say how much money this yielded, but it demonstrated a few things:
1). That I'm not an idiot (and Boy did I fool 'em!!!) Laughing
2). That I understood business and wasn't a pushover
3). That I had expectations of a settlement amount
4). That I'd documented and maintained the car well
5). That this was no longer a stock Vanagon

In the end, a Stated Value policy gives more protection, but in our case that's not an option. We still lost a lot of our investment, but mostly for not being a Stated Value. But I am convinced the documentation really helped.

Best of Luck! Do not let them win a nickel, this was their fault.

— Colin Chapman
foodeater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2019 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Gumby Gets a Makeover then... Gets Totaled Reply with quote

Glad your okay. Thats what really matters

Read all the threads about insurance issues.

Get an appraisal from someone who knows Vanagons (Go Westy, or a local shop that specializes in Vanagons). Make your insurance company get their own appraisal if they don’t like the valuation that you send them. In my case it the two appraisals were the difference between the $1900 they originally valued the van at, and the $18000 we eventually settled on.

Document all upgrades (already done on this thread, but show receipts if you've got them). Document the for sale ads of comparable vans too
'87 Vanagon Syncro-RIP
'81 diesel rabbit-sold
'82 Vanagon auto-RIP
Mastern
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Gumby Gets a Makeover then... Gets Totaled Reply with quote

Wow... I must say my wife and I are absolutely floored reading each and every response. Thank you so much for all the kind words of encouragement. It really means a ton.

Just a little update, still waiting for insurance to get all sorted out. We are certain that we will be purchasing another westy
SyncroButter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Gumby Gets a Makeover then... Gets Totaled Reply with quote

Glad to hear you and your wife walked away from that hit, so sorry to see this happen to any van but especially one where you have so much sweat equity. Keep your chin up, sending some mojo your way.
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Gumby Gets a Makeover then... Gets Totaled Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2241254

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: Gumby Gets a Makeover then... Gets Totaled Reply with quote

Steve M. wrote:
Buy it back from the insurance company and use it as your parts car.

This is great advice -- 👍🏼 -- though understandably an overwhelming prospect at this stage.

In our Total, we had to walk for no place to swap parts after weeks of searching, and it sucks. I hope in your case it's doable, mostly to say for reference the buy-back price was $3,300. Do it if at all possible.

We're here to help. This is a great community that rallied behind us and helped our spirits enormously, and I can't describe what that meant. We're good for $200 if you need it.

Sending Good Vibes in a really bad time. Man do I get it. Hang in There!!!

— Colin Chapman
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:49 am    Post subject: Re: Gumby Gets a Makeover then... Gets Totaled Reply with quote

Very sorry to read this.
Very glad your wife and you are ok.
Use this thread as reference for when you go after damages in civil court against the driver beyond what the insurance company pays out.

Buy it back from the insurance company and use it as your parts car.

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Gumby Gets a Makeover then... Gets Totaled Reply with quote

I am sorry to see this, but you walked away which is great.

It (your body and van loss) WILL hurt.

Do not sign off with any insurance.

Have the van brought home right away. It will take time for everything. Lots of threads on the wrecked van - insurance merry-go-round.

I almost got the nose of my van wiped today in Oceanside. Just a few seconds difference is all it would have taken. Somebody seriously blew the light. I am just starting to drive my Multivan again.

Let us locals know if you need help.

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
Microbusdeluxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Gumby Gets a Makeover then... Gets Totaled Reply with quote

Awwh man. So sorry for your loss. I followed your thread and it confirmed what I had heard about the good, affordable body work you can get done in TJ. Get maximum money from the jerk who hit you and build another one!
'81 Westy sold
'89 hightop Westy Joker syncro 16" now with Bostig!
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: Gumby gets A Makeover then... Totaled. Reply with quote

Mastern wrote:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

That's just awful.

Adding to the chorus of getting yourselves checked out now and over time…that's a helluva lick and you had to get some of it.

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: Gumby Gets a Makeover then... Gets Totaled Reply with quote

Well cr@p!

Take care of yourselves.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: Gumby Gets a Makeover then... Gets Totaled Reply with quote

Very gutted for you.

So sorry.

— Colin Chapman
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: Gumby Gets a Makeover then... Gets Totaled Reply with quote

Oh man, that's terrible!! Really glad that you aren't seriously injured.
As Sanchius said, get checked for soft tissue injuries; they can take a while to show up and a lifetime to recover from.
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: