Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

"Lilly" 1967 Riviera
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jacobcallaghan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 3:33 pm    Post subject: "Lilly" 1967 Riviera Reply with quote

Hello!

I have been over in the bay window forums with my bus "Daisy May". I recently purchased a new bus "Lilly" a beautiful 1967 Riviera from Seattle. Basically bought her sight unseen flew out and drove it home and now Zion. 1300 miles later and she is still kicking strong.

My plans are to build/preserve the bus for full time vanlife. Redoing the interior and touching up the exterior.

With my last bus "Daisy" I went full custom and had a blast kiting her out. With this bus I plan to stay a bit more stock.

You can see "Daisy's" thread here https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=706588&highlight=

Lilly is sporting a-lot of her original paint so i plan to go the "Patina" direction. Although her rear hatch and driver door are not original paint. Any tips on repainting those to match the original paint? I love the old patina look but want her to at least look uniform and not have the off paint doors.

Second question i have is about seats. I have a driver seat! But no passenger seat Sad . from my research these are really hard to come by. Why? haha But am I missing something or does NO ONE make new replicas? This seems like a no brainer maybe I missing a site where I can buy new seats? If not i am thinking of selling my driver seat and just put the "Smitty Built" seats in. I have had these in my last two rigs and they work great. Pretty close to stock.

https://www.quadratec.com/products/24220_1000_07.h...VLEALw_wcB

My last question is on engine. I love the sound and overall experience of running/working on air-cooled engines. Although, my buddy in Oregon does real nice Subaru swaps so now i am torn. I would love to stay aircooled but it seems reliable parts are becoming more and more rare. I am not the average bus owner. I drive alot. I put 17k miles on my bay this year. I would love to have a 1600 dp that could go 100-150k . Is this still realistic and possible with the available parts? If so is 1600 dp the move or should i go 1776?

I will keep you guys updated with my progress. Hyped to dive into another project!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: "Lilly" 1967 Riviera Reply with quote

Would be helpful to know which front seat type you are missing. Walk thru or non-walk thru?

Please do post more images, especially the insides.
jacobcallaghan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: "Lilly" 1967 Riviera Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
Would be helpful to know which front seat type you are missing. Walk thru or non-walk thru?

Please do post more images, especially the insides.

I am missing the infamous passenger walkthrough seat.

I will post more photos soon!
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: "Lilly" 1967 Riviera Reply with quote

Yes, there are repros of such.

Do a search in the Classifieds on this very website. Thru the "Classifieds" button (by hovering your mouse cursor over that, will make a pop up list appear) at top right of this website. Enter in "Seat", and click on the "Parts - Type 2/Bus - 1949-67".
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: "Lilly" 1967 Riviera Reply with quote

As for the engine, either is doable. The original type of engine parts are nowhere near rare, and most are still being made, one just needs to be careful of where the parts are made or rebuilt to get quality. Going with more stroke and keeping to stock or close to stock size P&Cs will make for cooler running engine that is stronger.

Subaru engines are a must if you need a lot more power and hill climbing ability, but there are a lot of complications with the water cooling system.
phastbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: "Lilly" 1967 Riviera Reply with quote

If I drove a bus 17,000 miles a year and I could afford a Subaru conversion....I'd seriously consider it. If I did a Subaru conversion I'd want to do it as reversible as possible though. I only know ONE guy that put over 100k on a bus motor, a motor he built himself; and he knew how to drive a bus perfectly. In my experience, most bus motors live less than 50k miles.

Nice pictures by the way.
Dustin B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:01 pm    Post subject: Re: "Lilly" 1967 Riviera Reply with quote

Nice bus, a walkthrough camper is next on my list of busses to own.

Question 1- yes it's possible to match the patina. Paint can be matched and blended really will at a good body shop but you'll have to go to someone that has that type of experience.

Question 3- it's totally possible to build a 100k plus motor. You just need to use quality parts, have it balanced and have a good reputable shop build it. I'd build either a 1776, 1835 heavy wall or a 1915.

62 og paint L469 type 1
61 og paint L31 DD panel type 2
64 heilite viscount tent trailer
71 sears clamshell trailer

I <3 Brazilian busses

Original paint and patina extravaganza http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=187156
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: "Lilly" 1967 Riviera Reply with quote

phastbus wrote:
I only know ONE guy that put over 100k on a bus motor, a motor he built himself; and he knew how to drive a bus perfectly. In my experience, most bus motors live less than 50k miles.

We have over 150,000 miles on a 1641cc SP with CW crank, 7.1:1 compression, and thin wall slip in cylinders, powering our 1960 walk thru panel camper conversion. Added upgrades are 9mm (as used in the later FI engines) instead of 7mm stemmed valves, type 4 cooler in DH shroud, widest DH cooling fan, 356 Porsche gen pulley. Definitely using quality parts is important, but more so is driving the engine in RPMs that it is best for longevity. 1,500 to 3,000 RPM seem to be best, and keeping the oil temp below 220F. Freeway flier geared transaxle gets us about 60MPH @ 3,000 RPM, vs the stock pre-1964 47 MPH transaxle.

Collecting up parts for next engine, going to try 78mm CW crank which is most stroke without needing a lot of clearancing of the engine case. 74 or 76mm stroke crankshafts are out there if one wants to go a bit more conservative. Get forged crank, not cast! Thinking of trying 8:1 compression with that.
jacobcallaghan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: "Lilly" 1967 Riviera Reply with quote

A little update on Lily here.

Since I last posted I have driven her over 7k miles and love it behind the wheel of a split.

I have finished the interior. You can see it here. Went ahead and did a full cedar tongue and groove interior with alder countertops. Lily also has a wood stove that can turn the buss into a legit sauna! Loving it! http://www.jacobcallaghan.com/lily

Lily also got a new heart a new 1699 with a 34 pict from Jeff air GemVW. Couldn't be more stoked on the new power house. A perfect combo for the camper and the amount of miles I drive. Jeff built me engine in my 1970 and it was bomber. So stoked for many more miles to come behind the wheel.

With the new engine also come some stock heat. No more freezing behind the wheel. Insulated the heating tube and am ready for the cold!

I hope to do a bit more body work and fix a bit of rust. Other than a few minor things Lilly and I will be on the road barreling at the high speed of 55mph!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: