Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Twin Turbo Kit
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
FullFender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 9:21 am    Post subject: Twin Turbo Kit Reply with quote

Not sure if this is old news or not? I know that it was discussed on here awhile back and they came to the conclusion that a single would be more efficient. Id like to see how it drives.
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bw5xZjWDJoI/
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: Twin Turbo Kit Reply with quote

Looks KEWL.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
FullFender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Twin Turbo Kit Reply with quote

Here is some more photos, I stumbled across. Wonder how much it sets ya back?? Laughing
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Twin Turbo Kit Reply with quote

FullFender wrote:
Here is some more photos, I stumbled across. I wonder how much it will set you back? Lol!

All the way to the back of the seat frame! Lol!

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
k@rlos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Twin Turbo Kit Reply with quote

As with all things depends how it’s engineered. If it’s built and setup correctly it will drive amazingly and go like absolute f*ck. 2 smaller turbos is far better than a single big 1. Less or no lag and the same if not more power. I follow Vic’s work on Instagram & Facebook, his workmanship and knowledge is outstanding.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Twin Turbo Kit Reply with quote

This is my favorite twin turbo.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dauz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Twin Turbo Kit Reply with quote

k@rlos wrote:
2 smaller turbos is far better than a single big 1. Less or no lag and the same if not more power.

Negative. Depends on the application. Factory "twin" turbo motors such as the RX7 and I think the Supra (hybrids on the 300z) have a smaller and a larger turbo to support low and top end. These "twins" almost always get yanked for one big turbocharger IF you're doing any type of top-end motorsports. Nowadays there are variable geometrical turbochargers (aka VGT) that replace having to have "twin" turbos with their variable "vanes" that open and narrow depending on your throttle. So with that said, your assumption is sooo inaccurate.. imo

Last edited by Dauz on Thu May 02, 2019 3:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dauz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Twin Turbo Kit Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:
FullFender wrote:
Here is some more photos, I stumbled across. I wonder how much it will set you back? Lol!

All the way to the back of the seat frame! Lol!

It's pretty common for people to "invert" the rear package tray for more depth in their engine bay.
theDrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Twin Turbo Kit Reply with quote

curious as to how well a turbo works with 1/2 the exhaust pulses. Twins make sense to me on a V8, but I question on a H4.

But they sure look sweet. Can't imagine all the fab work to make it all fit.
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Twin Turbo Kit Reply with quote

Dauz wrote:
67rustavenger wrote:
FullFender wrote:

/S All the way to the back of the seat frame! Lol!

It's pretty common for people to "invert" the rear package tray for more depth in their engine bay.

I am aware of the package tray modification. There's a turbo bug running around these parts with the turbo between the engine and the package tray. If you didn't look close. You'd miss it.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
FullFender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Twin Turbo Kit Reply with quote

Dauz wrote:
k@rlos wrote:
2 smaller turbos is far better than a single big 1. Less or no lag and the same if not more power.

These "twins" almost always get yanked

I agree. With a larger turbo you can reach levels where the twins would start to run out of steam. Even if you dont reach that point there is still room to grow.

theDrew wrote:
curious as to how well a turbo works with 1/2 the exhaust pulses. Twins make sense to me on a V8, but I question on a H4.

But they sure look sweet. Can't imagine all the fab work to make it all fit.

I think it would only experience half the exhuast pulses if he had paired 1-4 and 3-2 , right? he used an X-Pipe so theoretically, both turbos are seeing exh gas from all four cylinders?
I believe their first application was in a 21-window bus.
67 Sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Twin Turbo Kit Reply with quote

It’s missing a belt.
FreeBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 10:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Twin Turbo Kit Reply with quote

From A. Graham Bell, I seem to remember the minimum of cylinders you want to run a turbo properly is 3. Something about pulse timing. It's worth checking out what the industry is up to.

My favorite 2-turbo (can't really call it "twin" turbo) is the Porsche 959. It had a small turbo, to spool up quickly, and then when that was saturated, some gates, and solenoids switch the flow over to the bigger one. 2850cc, 450hp. How about the Lancia Delta Integrale Group B with a compressor and turbo?

Now, if the 4 cylinder's exhaust is merged before 2 turbos, I guess it could work. With the total flow of the big turbo divided by two, you should get the same flow, and maybe the smaller turbos will spool up faster. I can't think of another reason to do this, apart from looks.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 4:46 am    Post subject: Re: Twin Turbo Kit Reply with quote

I truly believe that the 2 stage dual turbo is the answer for smaller displacement engines. The smaller one covers the hole in the lower end of the power curve that the big one can't and the big one covers where the small one would normally run out of steam at the higher end.
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 5:58 am    Post subject: Re: Twin Turbo Kit Reply with quote

If Twin turbos wasn't such a nightmare for plumbing I would have tried it....

I have the perfect turbos for twins....... Cool Laughing

Take a good long look in the mirror and report back on what you see.

Paul.H wrote:
That one line on that chart is probably better info than you can get from this place in a month

My Megasquirt Fuel Injection Turbo Buggy Build
Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16
ECUMaster ADU5 Digital Dash

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=127936
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dauz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Twin Turbo Kit Reply with quote

Yeah, if I were to ponder "why" someone would want to twin turbocharge an aircooled flat 4, I'd say it's simply because they can.
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Twin Turbo Kit Reply with quote

Forget the parallel twins..... twins in series would be the way to go.
Have the small turbo fed air by the big turbo.

Under low demand the small turbo would basically draw air through the big one but at high power levels the big one would feed pressurized air to the little one for a compound boost level.

This is kind of interesting......lots of info on youtube on compound, sequential turbos if you want power. You have to weed through the BS.

Link

Take a good long look in the mirror and report back on what you see.

Paul.H wrote:
That one line on that chart is probably better info than you can get from this place in a month

My Megasquirt Fuel Injection Turbo Buggy Build
Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16
ECUMaster ADU5 Digital Dash

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=127936
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
FullFender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Twin Turbo Kit Reply with quote

clonebug wrote:
Forget the parallel twins..... twins in series would be the way to go.
Have the small turbo fed air by the big turbo.

Under low demand the small turbo would basically draw air through the big one but at high power levels the big one would feed pressurized air to the little one for a compound boost level.

This is kind of interesting......lots of info on youtube on compound, sequential turbos if you want power. You have to weed through the BS.

Link

x2 Ive always toyed with a compound setup in the back of my head, but like you said, there is so much plumbing involved.
Heres a question: wouldnt it be better to have a smaller turbo feeding a larger one rather than vice versa so when you are under load/ high rpm the large turbo isnt being restricted by a smaller one down the line?
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 4:12 am    Post subject: Re: Twin Turbo Kit Reply with quote

I would also be very concerned about the small turbo grenading from overspeed when the big turbo came on strong! I have not researched the plumbing on the factory set ups but I would think they would be parallel but with a relief valve somewhat like your present waste gate that would feed the bigger turbo after a pre-set exhaust manifold pressure.

I'm not sure how they handle that.
DerrickfromNC1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 6:14 am    Post subject: Re: Twin Turbo Kit Reply with quote

One turbo behind the apron, the other above the trans!

What would the plumbing issues be on this configuration?

Could you provide adequate oiling to the turbos?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: