Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Subie 2.5 owners - hill climb experience
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
XXX/Rx/RnR
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 12:03 am    Post subject: Re: Subie 2.5 owners - hill climb experience Reply with quote

I freak out everybody passing them up going to Flag from Phoenix on I-17. Sure is fun now.
vanagonjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 3:50 am    Post subject: Re: Subie 2.5 owners - hill climb experience Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:
I think the misnomer of big engines and not 'wanting' to downshift into 3rd is a psychological thing..

the answer is a 5 speed and shift into 4th.

That's what I do. I don't absolutely have to do that, but it just feels right to do so. (Sig line for my set-up)
LiMBO is on Facebook too! https://www.facebook.com/groups/
FAQ thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=525798
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 5:05 am    Post subject: Re: Subie 2.5 owners - hill climb experience Reply with quote

michaelbteam wrote:
Good comments. I usually downshift from 3rd into 2nd at 3000 rpm. I've been a little cautious about the transmission under extra horsepower. I'll drive it a little harder and see what happens! The internet sez that the average grade of Little Cottonwood Canyon is 9.2%.

The transmission is actually under less stress (in general) at higher rpms vs lower rpms. (Think of pedaling a bike up hill. If you use a gear that gives you more rpms you use less force in each pedal rotation.)

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
DeadSetMonkey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 7:34 am    Post subject: Re: Subie 2.5 owners - hill climb experience Reply with quote

I have a 2.5 turbo in my 1990 syncro westy. Stock gearing. 15in BFGs.
Installed by WildWesty (Lucas H). But he has closed up shop (which is too bad).

Prior to conversion, with a stock low miles 2.1 WBX, i would be going 20-25mph in 2nd gear, at 3500+ RPMs going west into the Eisenhower tunnel on I-70.

After the conversion, i can go 60+ mph in 3rd gear, at 3500+rpms. I can lug 4th gear, but prefer to rev 3rd gear. Can almost hold 4th gear, but RPMs start to sink below 2500.

I think my favorite part of the conversion is being able to set the cruise control (did have to upgrade cruise from stock) on rolling terrain at 65-70 and just drive. RPMS are 3000-4000 depending on the terrain. The van drives great at ~65mph. It'll go faster, but...

Last edited by DeadSetMonkey on Fri May 10, 2019 10:09 am; edited 3 times in total
Navy_Flyer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: Subie 2.5 owners - hill climb experience Reply with quote

I have a stock auto transmission (no gearing change) with my Vanaru conversion Westfalia (1987)... No comparison to WBX. This thing climbs like a scalded cat, and 70 mph at 4000-4500 rpm all day long going uphill. Very steep grades may get down to the slow creep of 65mph ... Wink
baltik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: Subie 2.5 owners - hill climb experience Reply with quote

Is there a concensus on what optimal RPMs are in terms of transmission longevity when climbing hills? I always use 3k+ as a benchmark but will occasionally dip to 2600
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: Subie 2.5 owners - hill climb experience Reply with quote

Navy_Flyer wrote:
I have a stock auto transmission (no gearing change) with my Vanaru conversion Westfalia (1987)... No comparison to WBX. This thing climbs like a scalded cat, and 70 mph at 4000-4500 rpm all day long going uphill. Very steep grades may get down to the slow creep of 65mph ... Wink

So your van is driving as good as it looked when I saw it getting the conversion in Staunton (pretty sure that was yours)?

I was blown away by the quality of the vanaru kit, way better than even the very nice home conversions friends have done.
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: Subie 2.5 owners - hill climb experience Reply with quote

baltik wrote:
Is there a concensus on what optimal RPMs are in terms of transmission longevity when climbing hills? I always use 3k+ as a benchmark but will occasionally dip to 2600

for me, 3k on my EJ22 and my ABA. Seems like a good benchmark.

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
WestyBob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: Subie 2.5 owners - hill climb experience Reply with quote

There's a Vw shop in my burg that has one bay devoted to subie 2.5L vanagon conversions only. They do them one at a time from beginning to completion. They use new Subaru engines only and the Vanaru kit. There is a waiting list.

However it cost nearly twice what I paid for mine (I have three convers). But what you get is a truly professional install with a real shop warranty plus a trouble free conversion. Expensive but costs a lot less than a new car too.
Navy_Flyer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: Subie 2.5 owners - hill climb experience Reply with quote

mikemtnbike wrote:
Navy_Flyer wrote:

So your van is driving as good as it looked when I saw it getting the conversion in Staunton (pretty sure that was yours)?

I was blown away by the quality of the vanaru kit, way better than even the very nice home conversions friends have done.

Yep. Smile
Speed limitation is not due to the engine... you get a Westy going much past 70-75mph and it becomes a bit 'touchy' to control...even with my 15" Michelins.
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: Subie 2.5 owners - hill climb experience Reply with quote

3,500~4,000 all day long

2600 is lugging it if doing 'real' work like climbing a mtn.
as mentioned modern engines have a redline in the 6~7ooo rpm range.
baltik wrote:

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: Subie 2.5 owners - hill climb experience Reply with quote

baltik wrote:

IMO those rpm's are too low for a hard hill climb. I'd want to be above 3500 rpm.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: