Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New to forum
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scbrice
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: New to forum Reply with quote

Got bus back from tune up, shop told me the points, plugs were almost non existent. Bus is running as good as an old bus can. I did have a question, I occasionally smell gas when I hunker over the carb. No fuel leaks or drops on floor, just a strong smell, shop mentioned they saw a leak by the “velocity horn” I assumed that’s on top, they also and mentioned this carb could be replaced or needs rebuilt. Is that portion a piece or seal, or should I just get a new carb, dial it in and be done with it?

Starting on the interior portions, found a great guy on here with aftermarket panels, I plan to replace the window mechanisms myself and start teaching myself something about this Bus

Scott
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cmonSTART
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: New to forum Reply with quote

Wow, you have the extended middle seat - just noticed that looking through your photos!
Scbrice
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: New to forum Reply with quote

Any idea how to find the carb numbers and type? Shop adjusted my valves but said at times the carb falls on its face, needs new carb or rebuilt. Any ideas how I can find out what this is?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Hikelite
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: New to forum Reply with quote

Grats on the bus. Good that you're willing to get dirty and learn how to fix things. I think WastedYouth's analogy of the lone sailor is a good one. Wink

You asked about vendors. I havent seen anyone mention one of my favorites yet... WolfsburgWest

Good luck with the bus.

You're going to hear it over and over until you indicate you have changed them.... change the fuel lines! Razz

My 1968 Campmobile
60vwnewengland
Twin #2

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: New to forum Reply with quote

I know this is the “got it home photo of the motor”

I hope your shop installed the foam engine compartment seal around the motor after they did the tune-up for you. If not, I’d fire those guys right now and find someone who knows what they’re doing.

Purchase here:
https://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=VWC%2D411%2D813%2D225

Install shiny side down. You can do this at home! And your engine will thank you.

See example here:

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Scbrice
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: New to forum Reply with quote

Yes guys and girls only old photo I had laying around . I installed some foam stuff, . Lotta daylight showing when I got it home. Bus runs great, gets right up to 35 even 60mph earlier, come to a stop light, shift to first, push gas and you get a bog sound and it wants to die. Too rich? so I tend to slip the clutch a bit to not kill it. Frustrating though to take a stop sign on the roll in second and have it completely bog down. Some carb dealers told me this center mounted carb was never good and said Iam pretty much SOL when it comes to making this any better minus a engine rebuild and adding on dual carbs. He wouldn’t even sell me a rebuild kit . Weird . Any input??

As for teaching myself stuff I am installing some interior panels and got two window mechanisms to try to learn
Scbrice
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: New to forum Reply with quote

After some back and forth with some guy at some place called aircooled I was informed my carb will never work properly and unless it’s converted to dual carb I will always be stuck with a bogged down over rich carb. If this carb is in the same shape as the bus was when I bought it, a good cleaning and rebuild won’t hurt. Have a good week

Scott
ImAddicted
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: New to forum Reply with quote

Scbrice wrote:
After some back and forth with some guy at some place called aircooled I was informed my carb will never work properly and unless it’s converted to dual carb I will always be stuck with a bogged down over rich carb. If this carb is in the same shape as the bus was when I bought it, a good cleaning and rebuild won’t hurt. Have a good week

Scott
John isn’t far off. That center, single progressive that was designed to run on a Pinto and a Dodge Omni is far from an ideal carb for the T4 engine. Some can get it to run ok, those long-ass runners and no manifold heat combine to give drivability issues. Aircooled has been around for years, John has supported the hobby way back in the USENET days. While he’s in the business of being in business, he didn’t get there by giving bad advice.. rebuilding the carb is cheap and definitely can’t hurt, but I would set expectations on the “better then it was but not great” side of the spectrum.
Original condition, which means something different on this forum than anywhere else!
Scbrice
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: New to forum Reply with quote

Would prob explain stinky smell after fuel up. Lines seem old. Although this neck looks different than others I’ve seen. Any feedback gang? And yes Iam getting them changed is there a kit I can buy . Local vw place says I have onto buy them in various measurements

KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: New to forum Reply with quote

Read this post:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=369364&highlight=fuel+replace

It shows you how to (easily?!?) replace those filler lines.
I did it a year ago, and it was a bit of a PITA, but doable.

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
Scbrice
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: New to forum Reply with quote

KentPS wrote:
Read this post:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=369364&highlight=fuel+replace

It shows you how to (easily?!?) replace those filler lines.
I did it a year ago, and it was a bit of a PITA, but doable.

Thank You
KellyB52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: New to forum Reply with quote

BRAND SPANKING NEWBIE HERE. Need help. Lots of help.
I have purchased a ‘75 Bus and I am committed to making her road worthy and adventure worthy. She’s sentimental to me, as it’s a “gift/labor of love” for the man I hope to travel the world in it with. Enough sappy/chic stuff.
I am studying intently to understand how to best restore her before I pick her up. It’s a 28 hour round trip drive to trailer her home and I would like to ask intelligent question to the previous owner so I can learn all about her uniqueness.

Here’s a what I think I know:
1975 T2 Westfalia bus, Type IV engine, 1.8 EFI engine, modified hi top, no body rust (yay), no engine modifications by previous owner, ran when parked 10 yrs ago.

I have Muir’s book and Bentley’s is on order. I am perusing this site and learning (quite awkwardly) how to navigate and bookmark pertinent threads.

My most burning question is the most appropriate order to begin the restoration so I am most efficient and thorough without redundancy or unnecessary difficulty. I will personally perform every task that I can, although I will hire professionals when it’s vital to safety.

Any advice is warmly welcomed!!

Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: New to forum Reply with quote

Welcome KellyB52. How about you cut and paste this in to your own “Restoration thread”. This will keep all your questions tidy in one place just for you. Lots of pictures of what you working with should help prioritize a path for you to take. Have fun. Looking forward to your journey.

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
KellyB52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: New to forum Reply with quote

Thanks Xevin, I think I got it done.
Scbrice
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: New to forum Reply with quote

Can somebody help bought these Panels and the holes don’t even line up. Does this look correct? I cannot figure out what the issue is or what I am doing wrong. Same with panels behind the seats. The molly screws hit the seat metal before they even go in and the holes again are not lined up. I got one panel to sorta fit. I spent a bunch on these and am getting frustrated please help

KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: New to forum Reply with quote

You'll probably have to drill new holes. Doubt there was a standard hole layout between all the years these panels were being fabbed and installed.

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: New to forum Reply with quote

Floor too thick?, looks like it's sitting too high to me from here. As for the bulkhead panels ask the vendor, I'm guessing Werksberg?

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Scbrice
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: New to forum Reply with quote

KentPS wrote:
You'll probably have to drill new holes. Doubt there was a standard hole layout between all the years these panels were being fabbed and installed.
my issue is that on the large panel I would have to drill into the frame under window
Scbrice
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: New to forum Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
Floor too thick?, looks like it's sitting too high to me from here. As for the bulkhead panels ask the vendor, I'm guessing Werksberg?
I pulled the carpet back and the stuff to make the noise quieter but some of the holes don’t even have holes behind them, along with the top portion I would have to drill into frame below window. Was just curious if anybody has dealt with these and some solution. I’ll prob have to drill holes behind seats I guess or find smaller molly screws

I just assumed the panels were plug and play
Scbrice
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: New to forum Reply with quote

Getting dual carbs 8/26 , also for the guys asking about the fuel lines those are being replaced also. Shop showed me yesterday that my whole charcoal container is missing and there is tons of broken cracked lines

Also Purchased the 3/3 mats for 73 bus , other 2 fit great jbugs is telling me this should go against fire wall and against back of seats. Either way it’s a foot short on one side. Anybody had any luck with this larger mat? Scott

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: