Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Changing rubber brake hoses - how often?
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
wayne1230cars
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 7:28 pm    Post subject: Changing rubber brake hoses - how often? Reply with quote

How often should the rubber brake hoses be changed? I am thinking it has more to do with time rather than mileage. I changed the hoses on my ‘70 in 2008. I do a flush and bleed every 2 years and keep them adjusted. Are the hoses due for a change at 11 years?
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Changing rubber brake hoses - how often? Reply with quote

They usually fail by stopping up such that you still have pressure to the other wheels, it's the metal lines and the master cylinder etc that let go on you all of the sudden. My 1967 Beetle lost it's original front rubber hoses within one year of each other in 2004 so that was what 37 years? Probably a good idea to change them well ahead of that age.

Last edited by Danwvw on Sat May 04, 2019 8:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 7:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Changing rubber brake hoses - how often? Reply with quote

About every 8 to 10 years for us.
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Changing rubber brake hoses - how often? Reply with quote

wayne1230cars wrote:
How often should the rubber brake hoses be changed? I am thinking it has more to do with time rather than mileage. I changed the hoses on my ‘70 in 2008. I do a flush and bleed every 2 years and keep them adjusted. Are the hoses due for a change at 11 years?

I have gone considerably longer. If they are not damaged, not yanked, not exposed to harmful environment, low miles, they can last a long time. I have run them until failure, never once did they rupture, instead they failed by internal swelling , creating a restriction, making brakes drag upon brake release. Well kept hoses have been in use for decades by me. These are designed to have a long service life

Although time is a factor, so is usage. Usage brings on repeated expansion cycles when brakes used. flexing of hoses from suspension or steering movement, and exposure to impacts, abrasion, heat, and chemicals (oils, grease). All of these can shorten the hose life.

I am more proactive on hose replacement on my older single circuit cars, than the newer dual circuit cars. But even so, 11 years is not a concern to me on the old single circuit systems.

Bug On!

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
BUGGED11111
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: Changing rubber brake hoses - how often? Reply with quote

I've never had those hoses fail and I've probably had them on for 15+ years I've changed them as a preventive maintenance measure more than anything when doing other work on the brakes. Just seems a good idea, especially if you don't know when they were put on.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: Changing rubber brake hoses - how often? Reply with quote

At $5-$10 each, they cost less than an oil change at a quicky-lube, why is it even a question? Doing it more often reduces the likelihood of seized fasteners.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Changing rubber brake hoses - how often? Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
At $5-$10 each, they cost less than an oil change at a quicky-lube, why is it even a question? Doing it more often reduces the likelihood of seized fasteners.

Adding anti-seize to the locking spring plates and inside/outside of the brake line nuts will eliminate that.
wayne1230cars
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Changing rubber brake hoses - how often? Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
TDCTDI wrote:

Adding anti-seize to the locking spring plates and inside/outside of the brake line nuts will eliminate that.

Good points. As far as cost, I notice that Rock Auto has “economy” hoses @$4.82. WW has Brazilian @$11.00 and German @$18.80. I am thinking Brazilian or German.
Vanillagurilla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Changing rubber brake hoses - how often? Reply with quote

wayne1230cars wrote:
Eric&Barb wrote:
TDCTDI wrote:

Good points. As far as cost, I notice that Rock Auto has “economy” hoses @$4.82. WW has Brazilian @$11.00 and German @$18.80. I am thinking Brazilian or German.

Why not stainless braided hoses for under $20 and never change them again?
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Changing rubber brake hoses - how often? Reply with quote

wayne1230cars wrote:

Good thinking!

When using the anti-seize on the all brake lines, just before threading into the female threads, wipe off the very tip of the brake line to keep the AS from contaminating the brake fluid. Those cone shaped pipe ends is where the all metal and flex brakes seal to each other, to brake cylinders and "T" fitting/s.

Inspecting any brake cylinders by taking them apart before installing, and use brake paste for the brake fluid used is a must today. Quality today of VW parts is just not it was back in the 1960s & 70s.

Standard brake paste for non-silicon brake fluids. Silicon grease for use with silicon brake fluid.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Changing rubber brake hoses - how often? Reply with quote

Vanillagurilla wrote:

Why not stainless braided hoses for under $20 and never change them again?

Are they made of solid stainless steel?
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Changing rubber brake hoses - how often? Reply with quote

Think of it this way. If you went out and had pants made of braided SS, would they leak if you ever peed your pants?

The answer is they would leak. How do they make SS braided flex lines not leak? By taking your normal two layer rubber flex brake line technology and wrapping it in Stainless Steel braiding. So you have all the inner rubber problems that will crop up with rubber lines after enough time and miles.

Advantages of SS braided flex brake lines:

1. SS braiding does not flex outward as much as stock rubber lines, so pedal is a tad stiffer on first brake pump.

2. If you like to flail your brake lines with sharp objects like say black berry vines, the flex lines will more likely not shred or puncture.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 2:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Changing rubber brake hoses - how often? Reply with quote

Forgot to mention that at least some of the SS flex lines have a plastic Teflon line in them. Even those will fail due to dirt/sand caught between the SS and Teflon line causing chaffing, especially when flexing back and forth when one turns the wheels. Which in turn means leaks.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: