Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Horn doesn't meep but has power?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
shizam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 1:39 pm    Post subject: Horn doesn't meep but has power? Reply with quote

Hi all,
Trying to diagnose why my horn won't meep and am stumped, if I depress the horn button at the wheel and measure voltage at the horn terminals I see 12.58v, so the horn for sure is getting power. If I plug the (brand new) horn directly into the battery I get a "meep!". But if I plug the horn into the terminals: no meep.

Fuse is fine too, seems like it should work but no "meep".
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Horn doesn't meep but has power? Reply with quote

Dirty ground.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Horn doesn't meep but has power? Reply with quote

As best I recall, the horn always gets power - depressing the horn button on the steering wheel provides a ground causing the beep.

So - it is the ground side you want to be checking.
shizam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Horn doesn't meep but has power? Reply with quote

Beat me to it, I just went outside and ran a wire from the ground terminal directly to the battery ground and it "meep"ed. So now to track down why ground isn't as grounded as it seems like it should be Neutral

It seems odd that it would correctly measure voltage across the power -> ground terminal but I guess thats the difference between "dirty ground" and "cut ground"?
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Horn doesn't meep but has power? Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
VW has their you know what up where the sun don't shine when they designed their horns.

They always have 12v applied to them, or a relay in some models, when the key is on.

My horns didn't work, there was ground being made but not enough to honk the horn.

The main stumbling point is that the horn button makes ground contact but it must pass through the steering gear at the base of the column.

It doen't always make it 100%

I found that it created enough ground to operate a relay.

I grounded the horn directly to the body
I removed the +12v from the horn and attached it to a relay and jumpered it to the operating solenoid of the relay.
The ground from the horn button now operates the solenoid which closes the relay which honks the horn....... everytime.

I put the relay in a small water proof box and tucked it up by the horns.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
shizam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Horn doesn't meep but has power? Reply with quote

Thanks,
I just so happen to have purchased the GoWesty horn relay kit for dual horns so I guess I’ll just install that and pray.
Gnarlodious Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Horn doesn't meep but has power? Reply with quote

Maybe it got water inside.
calo1956
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Horn doesn't meep but has power? Reply with quote

Im glad that this came up, as i have a similar issue on my 80. I have to press the horn manny times to finally get it to work, then it pretty much will work every time, but it seems like it has to be "warmed up" first. Do you think its the ground as well ? I know about the brown wire on the steering rack and should check it, but what confuses me is that once it get going it will work. I was figuring the horn must have issues, but it never makes it high on my priority list, as i usually just use it to say "Hi" to my mail man as i drive by, and i love the fact that you can give a nice gentle meep meep! My Jeep JK has the horn in the center hub, you practically need the jaws of life to make it work, then its a annoying blast that doesn't suit my needs or taste. Sorry for the JK horn rant! I just love my VW horn, so cute, and nothing like it!!
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Horn doesn't meep but has power? Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
djkeev wrote:
VW has their you know what up where the sun don't shine when they designed their horns.

They always have 12v applied to them, or a relay in some models, when the key is on.

My horns didn't work, there was ground being made but not enough to honk the horn.

The main stumbling point is that the horn button makes ground contact but it must pass through the steering gear at the base of the column.

It doen't always make it 100%

I found that it created enough ground to operate a relay.

I grounded the horn directly to the body
I removed the +12v from the horn and attached it to a relay and jumpered it to the operating solenoid of the relay.
The ground from the horn button now operates the solenoid which closes the relay which honks the horn....... everytime.

I put the relay in a small water proof box and tucked it up by the horns.

Dave

i did the same thing to power a Wolo "Bad Boy" air horn. wonderfully loud. fires every time but having that VW funky horn mindset, i test it just about every drive. air horns also like to be spun frequently otherwise they can lock up. that's my excuse and i'm sticking to it.

'87 Westy & '89 Westy both 2.1 4spd

Past projects can be found at--
www.thefixitworkshop.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
The Carrot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Horn doesn't meep but has power? Reply with quote

The Late Vanagons all have the facility to add a relay switched ground to operate the Horn, or Horns.

Its a neat little wiring operation plus the addition of a 4 pin relay in position 6 on the panel. the correct Connector body for position L on the back of the panel is available through Van Cafe.

https://www.vancafe.com/171971997-p/171971997.htm

You still have to see to your grounds, and ensure that the horn ring and contact at the steering wheel are in good condition and correct adjustment.

Heres the diagram I got from another horn thread....

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

ragnarhairybreeks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Horn doesn't meep but has power? Reply with quote

Hi,

I wired for dual horn relay, as was described in the German Bentley, a few years ago. Sheesh, almost nine years ago. Hate how time flies.

It’s a fun project, and now that van Cafe has the L connector , it’s an easier project. I later found L connector at wreckers, mk II or III Jetta/Golf i think.

My work here

https://shufti.blog/2010/10/06/dual-horn-relay-and-wiring/

Alistair
Old address still works...
http://shufti.wordpress.com
The Carrot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Horn doesn't meep but has power? Reply with quote

Hi Mr. Breeks,

I remember finding out about the Dual Horn Modification by looking at your Blog a couple of years back; so thanks for that lead. I went on to find the above attached Full Colour wiring diagram from some guy named sullivan who had documented all the work. I remember he had maybe 6 horns running off that relay.... My first try was just using separate molex pigtails, finding that L connector was nirvana so I went back in and did it right.
ragnarhairybreeks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Horn doesn't meep but has power? Reply with quote

Hi mr carrot,

Yes, Haywood Sullivan has the diagrams and I think I linked that on my blog post. It’s great he keeps that site up.

I too started with just the molex type ends into the fuse panel, and yes, finding the right plastic connector was a treat.

Funny how some little things with our vans gives us inordinate amount of pleasure Smile

Alistair
Old address still works...
http://shufti.wordpress.com
shizam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Horn doesn't meep but has power? Reply with quote

Thanks everybody, horn is “meep”-ing like a champ now 👍
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: