Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1/4 Pan done.
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 3:26 pm    Post subject: 1/4 Pan done. Reply with quote

Sort of done, that is. I still have to wire brush, sand, caulk, and paint.

Below are a few photos of my new 1/4 pan replacement. Joe at Wolfgang International did this work for me. Very reasonable, too.

Pay no attention to what looks like rust in the original pan. It’s just some orange-colored paint the previous owner used when he riveted in a battery tray before I bought the bug.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Richard O'Brien
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 1/4 Pan done. Reply with quote

Looks like you get to grind on it till pretty and apply paint!

Have fun!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 1/4 Pan done. Reply with quote

I’m not grinding shit where the pictures show. Those welds are nice and tight. Besides, no one will see them. I will wire-wheel and sand the entires rear quarter, then prime and paint. However, under the car, I will grind and sand. Then I’ll caulk, prime and paint.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 1/4 Pan done. Reply with quote

Well, I ended up grinding the underside of the new 1/4 pan. And while I was there, grinding, then scraping, I scraped and poked a hole through the pan where the seat pedestal sits. The area just under the pedestal is shot. Also, the flange on the right side of the pedestal. From underneath, the pan looks perfect, so the water (before I bought the car) must have come from a leak to the inside of the car.

The driver side is okay, thank god.

Great! I ordered a Kaferland pedestal from Cipi1, and when it gets here, it’s back to the welder.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 1/4 Pan done. Reply with quote

That is why I like to grind the welds down. Sometimes it shows stuff that you do not see the first time through it.

Been there, done that!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 1/4 Pan done. Reply with quote

Brick wall
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 1/4 Pan done. Reply with quote

I was going to grind the underside, regardless. It needed it. The underside looked a lot different from topside. I did wirewheel the topside, however and caulked it, as well as the underside.

The new area I found was not near the quarter pan. One thing I can report: the front bottom of the pedestal was rusty. The original tar board insulation was about a half inch from the edge of the pedestal. I chipped some of this away to see how far the rust had crept. There was a bit of rust at the first 1/8 inch, then it completely like new, all along the edge of the tar board. So, folks who complain that the original tarboard causes rust aren’t always right.

By the way, lesson learned from those who recommended grinding. I see your point now.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 1/4 Pan done. Reply with quote

Tim Donahoe wrote:
By the way, lesson learned from those who recommended grinding. I see your point now.

Tim

Welcome to the club!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 1/4 Pan done. Reply with quote

It's worth the effort. Gotta keep those trophies comming!
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: